Saturday, June 10, 2023

Puzzles, lavender, half birthdays, fantasy

The best news of the day


We can breathe again. Yesterday was improving but I wore a mask for a short walk, plus hat for sun and sunglasses. I looked like a bandit.

And today here's how the lavender looks, best in years. 

Last year it didn't bloom at all, so I guess it's catching up.

My neck is still a pain in the neck, icing, gentle exercise, still going on. I finally realized this recurs and has for most of my life. 

I forget it between bouts then get taken by surprise. Last summer I was getting cataract surgery while in  neck pain, so this isn't as harrowing, good to remember. 

I do remember that the tranquillizing drugs did help with my neck, too, but it's a bit drastic to get eye surgery to fix a stiff neck.

Onward, there's worse stuff. This too shall pass. The sooner the quicker, I say.

And here's a lovely Sendak illustration, 

I discovered Sendak while shopping for picture books when handsome Son was young, and this was a great fave. Sendak gets it.

In other news, June 15 will be my 84.5 birthday, now celebrating half birthdays because you never know, and this is my present to me


It's a paperback, some proceeds to charity, and I hope it has not only answers but explanations. Sometimes I need more than just the answer.

Meanwhile try this


I think there's one preferred answer but I came up with more.

Happy day everyone, be glad we're breathing!






25 comments:

  1. Happy Good Air!
    The air quality photos of New York are strikingly strange. We didn't have it that bad in my local Vermont area.

    Birthday half is a Hap Birt, a cake of the bottom half, half scoops ice cream, one side card, and ful joy!
    Lots if fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely need to start celebrating those half birthdays too! Good idea! My brain doesn't respond to teasers any more, but needs to stay busy, I admit. I always am glad someone else knew the answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gir for it, Barbara. And tell your readers.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I think he really understood kids dreams. Of all ages, really.

      Delete
  4. Half birthdays is a very good idea. Today is mine! So good you can breath again, it was bad for awhile there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very happy half birthday to you. I hope your neck and shoulder feel better soon
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, please try to avoid an operation for the foreseeable! Glad the air has improved. Will have to think about that brainteaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The air is good for today. The end of the smoke moves in tomorrow sigh.

      Delete
  7. The half birthdays is a great idea! Glad your air quality in improved, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just today. Tomorrow more smoke, the last of it.

      Delete
  8. I love Salty Pumpkin's Hap Birt idea. What a great present to yourself, and I trust we will reap the benefit too.

    SO glad your air quality is back to Good.

    Beautiful lavender.

    It can be helpful to recognize the pattern behind our aches and pains. I trust your selfcare will take care of this round of it soon.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern behind the neck issue is so spread out that I forgot all about it! At least a year between , you don't amass a lot of experience. Not that I want more experience.

      I fancy having puzzles to hand rather than finding them at random. Let's hope I can do at least some of them.

      Delete
  9. What a great idea and a wonderful gift for yourself and I'm happy to know you can breathe easier today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and we had some lovely rain, to settle the pollen and wash the air a bit.

      Delete
  10. My half birthday is the end of September. As a child I can remember waiting for it to come and pass so I could announce my age was some number "and a half!"
    Beautiful lavender. I left a big, beautiful bush behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love little kids when they tell you the exact fraction -- I'm six and three quartets! The half birthday idea seems to be catching on.

      Delete
  11. Those moments before sleep overtakes us remind me of that childhood time when reality and fantasy danced around each other. Sendak did indeed get it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy half birthday. That lavender is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Another bunch of lavender went another local friend today. It's nice that this year there's enough to share.

      Delete
  13. Sendak was always a favourite in our house and now another generation of grandies is in love with his characters. Obviously he created what will become a classic.
    Glad to see your air quality has improved. We attended our oldest grandie's b-day party outdoors over the weekend and were happy that it was quite windy and that the air was much better than it had been. Today it's raining here so hopefully that will help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you've been dealing with smoke, too. I'm glad it's cleared.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!