Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Health check-in smoke gets in your eyes and yogurt happens

 Today I wove again, no trouble from the shoulder from weaving, probably because it's large arm movements, so I'm happy about that, and about my selvedges which are holding up fine 

This was the color of the sunlight this morning



Orange sunlight from the smoke from the now extinguished fire in South Jersey and the northerly Nova Scotia fires.

I did get a walk, though the air quality isn't high..

And I did a bit of gardening, pruning off the spent flowers from the sage , watered the seedlings and small herbs.

I've got back to walking after a few days when it was too hot, and the difference to my back is terrific. I had been stiffening up, and probably that triggered the shoulder issue. It's also good for your spirits to walk. Just walk and look and listen, no audiobook nor music.

Icing, rest, range of motion exercises, ibuprofen all helped.  Doing much better today. But I'm listening to blogistas telling me not to rush back into knitting and spinning and getting back into trouble. I hear you! You're right. 

I'm making yogurt today, writing while waiting for the boiled milk to cool down.

I also finished the last of the dandelion leaf soup with the cannellini beans in it, and it really developed in the freezer. No bitterness at all, just a great flavor. 

Later this afternoon there's Textiles and Tea so I'll report on that tomorrow if it's interesting. 

Happy day, everyone.  My whistling is coming along.  About to practice Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, favorite ballad and appropriate today. Bigger than my range, makes my whistler tired.

Today more than ever 

As they cope with the catastrophic  attack on the dam.  

22 comments:

  1. Some days, Liz, you are more help to me than you know. Reading about your life and what you do reassures me in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now, isn't that nice to hear. I've always wondered if I served as a bad example though!

      Delete
  2. I didn't get to walk at all, with moderate pollutants in the air, from all sources out there! I tried walking in a big box store, but that meant buying things...not exactly good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my neighbors was a keen big box shopper, and he used to claim it was his fitness program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to know you're up for whistling and weaving and wyougrt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day of good news. I am so happy you are feeling better! I miss walking but swing a mean mop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have missed something. Do you play the tin (Irish) whistle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just whistling. No instrument this time.

      Delete
  7. "Just walk and look and listen, no audiobook nor music." That's my kind of walk, too. Glad you were able to get out despite the air quality (or lack therof). Also glad that your shoulder is responding to your kindness - and to hear that you're going to be sensible about not rushing back to everything all at once.

    We're enjoying a nice evening thunderstorm as I write, and hoping that the newly fledged owlets are sheltering safely under leaves up high in our maple. All three left the nest Friday evening, and have been invisible and pretty quiet ever since. The parents were diligently feeding them Friday night, so we expect they're being well taken care of as they learn the ways of the world.
    https://youtu.be/ECTu-V8Y3ww

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must check out your owlets! We could use rain to clean the air and wet the foliage. The whole area is dry. No rain for many days.

      Delete
  8. I miss the whistling songs by Roger Whittaker. What a pro he was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must check him out. I think you said you're a keen whistler yourself? I'm still finding notes, and I really like it.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you're feeling better. Those fires are scary! The color of the light reminds me of the weird light we had during a big Saharan dust storm a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the effect is eerie and a bit disturbing.

      Delete
  10. I have seen the air quality on the east coast is really bad. it's not good here, but not that bad. It's so dry with no rain in sight. It's good you could get in a walk and that you are leaving those knitting needles alone for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke really arrived late afternoon, and now you can see and smell it. Like campfire smoke, but a lot.

      Delete
  11. third day in a row I haven't done my morning yoga routine though I will go to class tonight. I do much better when I don't skip days. all depends on when I get up in the morning. that's my excuse anyway. a friend of mine lives in calgary. she's been sending me the most horrible pictures of the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it's bad when you can take pictures of the air.

      Delete
  12. The air quality is a bit better here today after all the rain the last few days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're getting rain here today (much needed) and hopefully that will help to clear the air somewhat. At times the light has been quite eerie with the sun being filtered through the smoke.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!