Saturday, June 17, 2023

Gardens, lemon balm and nice life

Yesterday I took a walk around the block, as promised,  realizing we're between seasons -- roses finished, daylilies not there yet -- so there's a lot of green.  

The set-up is that trees, shrubs and grass cutting are commonly owned and paid for, tended more or less by HOA board hired "landscapers". Flowers out front and anything at all inside our patios are individual owner operated. 

The landscapers turn into snow removers in winter, which is exactly how they operate with trees and shrubs in summer. It works better with snow, to push, shove, slam and tidy, than with growing plants. Anyway now you know what you're seeing. 

There's quite a bit of cooperation between neighbors, what with exchanging plants and cuttings, so it's a nice flow. Fences indicate back, patio, views 





C, remember giving me this blue solar light you see back there? It's become a local landmark
 
 
Gary will definitely finish planting these annuals in between distractions
 







This is mine, Gary growing collard greens outside my gate because he ran out of space, with, inside the fence,  my Japanese maple which I rescued from his tender mercies years ago.  

It's a nice neighborhood. 

And yesterday because I'm worth it, I made lemon balm cookies from a link at Magpie's Mumblings blog, which is well worth a visit. Mostly textiles, but not always.


Fresh picked lemon balm to mince 


And here's the cast of characters. I can tolerate butter and sugar, I must be well again!


This is half the dough, the other half, the roll in parchment paper you see left of the sheet of cookies, in the freezer for when I need more. 

They're good, though I'd like more lemony flavor and might sprinkle lemon zest on the top of the next batch.

And I've been thinking about age and assumptions about it. I'm old, and that's fine, and I hate it when other old people take credit for being old. I do take care of myself. I'm also lucky. A recurring stiff neck is not a big deal. Plenty of people are just as wise about self care, and not as lucky.

But your DNA is a huge part of everything, from physical to mental health. I'm blessed with a nimble and resilient mind, and a body still in pretty good working order. I didn't earn it, but I do take care of what I've been given. It's a treasure.

Anyway here's a snapshot bio

Harney's tea, expensive and worth fitting into my modest budget, because I love a strong cup of English breakfast or All India blend, milk, no sugar.  One of those small luxuries that make a difference.

And here's my coffee table this morning


Cookbook by Nigel Slater currently giving me some very good ideas, Kindle on which I'm rereading Mrs Dalloway, Haggard Hawks puzzle book and fancy notebook, saved for me by librarian friend from the book sale, with favorite pilot pen for puzzle assistance, lovely freecycled tray,  set for breakfast, with nonskid teapot mat made by a friend, handwoven napkin from another friend,  favorite Chinese dishes, pita bread stuffed with soft dried apricots, morning vital potassium supplement, doctor's orders.

My current life today anyway! It's good. Consider all the connections just on the breakfast tray. 

Happy day everyone, enjoy whatever your day is about! Thanks for being there and especially for comments and emails. They're treasures, too.




23 comments:

  1. Professional landscapers can sometimes be rather brutal -- one of the reasons I like to do my own garden, and let things grow or get a little "wild" if I want to. My neighbors on both sides have landscapers do their gardens and they think I'm so courageous for doing my own! (Or maybe they just tell me that to excuse its messiness!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's such pleasure in tending a garden, so much to discover. I wouldn't describe our low budget hacking crew as professional, more clueless laborers with chainsaws.

      Delete
  2. Nice landscape, a lot of edging there. It is good when folks show care to their outdoor space be cause having it is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here there's a lot of gardens and opportunities for community gardening. I love all the trees everywhere in this state.

      Delete
  3. Yes. I think that having some green space of your own to tend is probably one of the best things about where you live. That and your neighbors.
    But oh. Sigh. "Landscapers" who work with chainsaws? That does sound brutal.
    I am so glad you feel better and you are so right about genetics and aging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful to feel well! I never take it for granted.

      Delete
  4. The landscaping is lovely! People take pride in their properties obviously. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gardens all look lovely and I like the fact that, although there IS fencing, it's kept quite low so you can still chat to the neighbours.
    Glad you tried the cookies and found an alternate use for the jar opener.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree -- little luxuries and treats make life special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely balances the economies I have to observe

      Delete
  7. Your neighbourhood looks lovely. I do like the flow of plants.
    Your observations on ageing are timely. I was thinking this morning about getting older and realised that it isn't important how old we are when we die but how well we have lived. It has changed my outlook a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not just longevity, it's being happy however long we have.

      Delete
  8. Folks are proud of their properties, front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really does look like a very pleasant neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it does look like a nice neighborhood, lots of flowers and plants in and outside the fences. yes your DNA and level of health and adequate food when growing up (and luck, no debilitating accident or horrible disease) are a big determination but I think equal to that is how a person takes care of the body they are given throughout their life. for instance, if my husband had been living alone when he got pneumonia, he would have died because he refused to go to a doctor when he got sick and sicker and sicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, self care is a big deal in adulthood. I had terrible, wartime starvation rations, and ill health into adulthood. Then I changed countries and climates and did much better!

      Delete
  11. What lovely gardens. I had imagined Gary's to be bigger for some reason. Anyway I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stuffs a lot of plants into the same tiny space we all have!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!