Saturday, June 3, 2023

Taking stock, and issue

 This is where the various bits of work are 


Today's weaving. I ran out of the dark green warp yarn and added in a dozen threads in the same color as the weft. That resulted in the interesting pattern you see. 

I'm currently spinning a different dark green, and a gold,  originally for knitting but maybe now for weaving.

And while I was waiting for supplies for socks, I started a pair of gloves

Then the sock supplies arrived and I happily cast on a new sock in this cheerful mixture color, named Fierce Flame

Yesterday I also had an exciting event when the front door curtain fell on my head. The hook had come out. 

So I called Gary, who, before I'd even finished my sentence, said I'll be right over. At a run. I think he assumed an emergency. 

He took a look at the situation and the anchors and screws, and said right now I have to get my car seen to. Then I'll come over and see to it.

Two minutes later back to say his front door is locked but the back door is okay for the dog to come and go. Two more trips back to his own house, and finally he got away.

Couple of hours later, back to say the water heater man is coming over, he'll come over after that. Arrived again to say the dishwasher man's now trying to fix the dw, meanwhile here's the muffin pan back, which he cleaned by hand, the dw not working. 

Then the water heater man is unable to track the problem, it works fine for him, maybe an expensive part needed, and he goes away to check. Meanwhile I suggest Gary check if it's still under warranty, seven years old, and now he's going to check.

Finally, after consulting with me about how to clean a sofa pillow Billy the Pup had dragged outside and played with, he replaced the ceiling screws and rehung the door curtain. 

I needed the curtain as a heat and light block, because temp went into the 90s yesterday, hottest on this date in nearly 100 years.

 So the curtain's back in action, after an afternoon's entertainment, and the temp is about 70f.

I shopped in person today, for local things I can't get from Misfits, bananas, molasses, cocoa, Panko crumbs, a basil plant, snd various other items which suddenly outgrew the big shopping bag. The checkout lady said sternly, "Always bring more bags than you need!" which I agreed with. 

And I was home before I remembered I'd forgotten to add capers to the list. Oh. I did get some very reasonably priced strawberries, jam quality, while I was at it, and they're in the freezer for when I remember sugar.

Speaking of commodities, I had also planned on a trip to Target. Then I found out they'd crumbled to right wing bigotry, so until they rethink, I won't be going there 

Fix it, Target, and I'll return.

Happy day everyone, pursue your activism however it works for you.  But enjoy anyway.

Me, I'm going to knit a Fierce Flame sock while catching up on Meredith Constant on YouTube, excellent researcher of current (royal related) events.





19 comments:

  1. That was quite a sequence of events, not all related to the curtain rod falling, but as you said quite entertaining. Glad the curtain is back up and you are cooler now. My husband already informed me he will not be shopping at Target as well. What's odd about that statement is that I can't recall the last time we have been in one of their stores. When we lived elsewhere years ago, we would occasionally shop at one, but not recently, so his boycott statement is a moot point. Still I do agree with your stance and his .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a simple one for Target to remedy, and for customers to observe. Once they've stopped throwing my friends under the bus, I'll shop there again. Not that my expenditure is noticeable to them. It's the principle!

      Delete
  2. Gary sounds like a fierce flame himself. Is he always, always running about? I'm so glad he could fix your curtain.
    I think I've been to Target twice in the last three years. Obviously, I can live without going there. I feel like yes, they did cave but they didn't remove all of the items, even if they moved them to the back of the store and at least they had them at all. Which is something. Not like Chick Fil-A or Hobby Lobby is ever going to make anything Pride related. Those two places I will not visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two places are permanently on my nope list. And I don't want to credit target with having some things while removing some. I don't think you can be mildly prejudiced and cowardly. You either are or not. I don't think I'd compare them with even worse companies, and give them the slightest slack. They've really annoyed me now. Don't upset grandma!

      Delete
  3. Both you and Gary, especially Gary, had busy days. I am disappointed with Target and am now glad that they didn’t make it in the Canadian market. Mind you, there wouldn’t have been such a foofaraw here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love Target, stylish, reasonable prices, cheerful shops. They've gone downhill in the last couple of years though, before this latest blunder.

      Delete
  4. Sheesh, what's going on over at Gary's place? Sounds like everything's falling apart plus the dog is running amok!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for boycotting Target. I simply have never shopped there, so in a way I've boycotted them from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weaving is looking amazing. The skirt is going to be a show stopper
    What a busy day you had. And all because of a bump on the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most of my day was about waiting while Gary ran about. Thank you for the nice words about the weaving.

      Delete
  7. Gary certainly had a lot going on that day. I always liked Target but then about a decade ago, maybe less, they changed their store brand to one of less quality and the stock changed as well and I haven't bought anything there in years so I have no problem not shopping there now. I detest when stores or schools that knuckle under to the complaints of one or two people. what about all the other people who didn't complain? do we not count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point I think it's about bringing pressure of numbers on target, or any other organization that bobs down to a few noisy voices.

      Delete
  8. That story reminded me of 'Twas on a Monday morning the gasman came to call.' It's so annoying when I have to buy yet another bag because I was 'only to get a couple of things.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Flanders and Swann, yes.
      I had a big bag, but still managed to keep seeing items I'd forgotten I needed.

      Delete
  9. You certainly have a revolving door with all the comings and goings of Gary...never a dull moment for either of you.
    Glad there's no Targets here. Walmart has been promising to come for many years (more than 20) and still no sign of them. Not that I want a Walmart per se but it would be nice not to have to go out of town (or shop online) for something as simple as towels or sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Wal-Marts all over and I will not shop there. The low prices come at the expense of child and forced labor on the other side of the planet. Nope.

      Delete
    2. I don't like Walmart either and would prefer not to shop there. I doubt, even if we get one here, that I would darken their doorstep very often. Our town has a large population of seniors, many of whom don't drive any distance, and there simply isn't an affordable bricks and mortar place to buy most household staples. Of course, now that Walmart is closing a bunch of stores, perhaps their thought of coming here is going to be scuttled.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!