Tuesday, June 27, 2023

New starts, health update, skirt pattern

 Yesterday I put some sprigs of lemon balm into the rooting teapot, and noticed it has tiny flowers I'd never spotted before.



Why, you wonder, do you want to start a plant that currently runs wild, choking everything in its path, escaping the supposedly restraining pots? Because like the other mint relatives, it vanishes completely over Fall and winter, and I fancy trying to keep it as a houseplant, to have some available in winter.

Also I'm just starting to see improvement in my neck issues, where I can think about eventually starting with my fiber projects again. Not yet.

So I needed to create a paper pattern for the woven/knitted skirt. This meant tracking down a newspaper, which I don't have. Gary promised me some ready for recycling, and I went next door to collect.

There followed a lovely chat with a visiting family member I'd met before, where we established we: both alter thrifted clothes to suit, both add pockets where needed, both make clothes without patterns, both use newspaper where we need to make a pattern. Nice convo, punctuated by Gary exclaiming I don't know what you're talking about!

Home again, ready to measure, make paper pieces to try on 


Here's the Notebook Of Thinking, which was also the Notebook of Learning Hindi



The Hindi was an ill-fated local adult school class where the somewhat inept teacher went back to India after three weeks, and we all got refunds.

Anyway the notebook being one I'd made, it's gone on being useful, and here's the current project with math.



The original idea was to weave straight panels (note that panel means vertical strip, horizontal pieces having different names), and knit wedge shaped pieces to alternate with the woven panels, to create an A line effect.

This involves figuring out the measurements of the wedges,  top and bottom and doing some tricky decreasing to get a smooth narrowing. Hm 

Then a rush of brains to the head! Why not just knit straight pieces, the width of  the hem end, here 2.5", and do the adjustment when I stitch the parts together, slanting the woven sections together at the top to create the wedge shapes. This will increase the bulk at the waist and I have an idea how to fix that. 

So here's the nyt, more useful than usual


I've tried this around me, and it seems to work. The two sides come around to meet. One big advantage of weaving and knitting to size is; all selvedges, almost no seam allowance needed.

So much easier. Now all I need is the neck to calm down -- it's already buzzing and jabbing from yesterday's pattern making -- and I'll be off. This feels so great, to be making again. Everything else feels like treading water.

Today's Handsome Partner birthday celebration will be an indoor event, owing to endless thunderstorms and inches of rain. We did escape the local tornado warning.

Happy day everyone, whatever the weather.


I have some Handsome Partner birthday thoughts which I'll save till tomorrow, there being a limit to how much I can stuff into one post. I marvel at bloggers who comment that they have to look for material. Mine's like the lemon balm of ideas, escaping all over.



22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, at least the name has dignity, even if the contents leave something to be desired.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your time with HS. I look forward to HP birthday thoughts. I usually don't have trouble coming up with blog ramblings, but lately the grey matter isn't doing so well. I'll be interested to know if the lemon balm grows as a houseplant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have a feeling it's going to shrivel uo in rhe house, but I'll find out.

      Delete
  3. I’m with Gary. WHen you get into describing your projects, I just move along. I am happy to keep up with your news, however. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classy pattern. The lemon balm wintering over is a good plan. I hope it works.
    When I read the NYTimes, it brings me back to my high school days in New Jersey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you've said where in NJ?

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for satisfying my nosy question by email! You're a star.

      Delete
  5. I make skirts without a pattern but they're simple gathered skirts. but how nice to have a chat with someone that you have so much in common with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely. We've met before, always at big family parties, so never had the chance to talk about interests.

      Delete
  6. You are so clever! And talented, obviously. I hope that you can get back to doing what you love soon. I know you miss it terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the neck is on the mend -- I know how hard it is to do certain creative things when a given body part hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "the lemon balm of ideas, escaping all over" - one of the best phrases you've ever written, Boud! Glad you're feeling some improvement in the neck department, albeit more slowly than you wish. I too like the Notebook of Thinking.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to see who really likes a given comment!

      Delete
  9. You always amaze me with the latest project, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating discussion of your design process for the skirt. Way out of my league but interesting to follow. Reading your blog always feeds my curiosity because now I'm also wondering what will happen with the lemon balm experiment. Hmmm....you could dry some of the leaves perhaps, or freeze them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have frozen leaves, also pesto, but I fancied fresh leaves in winter.

      Delete
  11. I'm with Gary: I don't know what you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and he can join AC, rolling your eyes and making a cup of tea to improve the moment.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!