Monday, June 19, 2023

Juneteenth, potato baby, jigsaw puzzle and coping

 Today's Juneteenth


And my local library ran family craft workshops to create commemorative Juneteenth signs, with extras to take home.

It's a tradition of this library dating back to a much earlier director, Ginny Baeckler, to stay open on national holidays of this kind, then only Martin Luther King day.  Because, she used to explain,  the library is a center of community learning and it's appropriate to stay open to celebrate that. I'm glad to see it continue. And I wish the person who wrote the quotation had checked the spelling of Corpus Christi.

That same director didn't believe in celebrating minorites with events only during Black history month. She preferred to hire and promote minority employees, walking the walk long before other white people noticed the paleness and maleness of library employees.

I was there changing my puzzle for this one

Meanwhile, I did dig up the rogue potato, according to the judgment of blogista gardeners,  which was indeed a slice of potato I'd planted and forgotten. Moved it to a space in another container, dislodging a baby potato in the process



She's now been welcomed by the herd in the kitchen, reminds me of elephants.

And the saga of the neck pain continues, despite exercise designed to help,  walking, heating pad, icing, Advil generic, pain patch,  trying to read at eye level not head bent. 

I have a complete range of motion, no arm involvement etc. I think judging from the resistance to pain meds, it's a nerve irritation. And violent vomiting last week did nothing to soothe it.

Here's the latest attempt to keep reading devices at eye level

Steve's latest post up, for breakfast company.

I'm nervous about Wednesday's fridge delivery, though I expect they've done it before, but it will be good when it's done.

Happy day everyone, celebrate Juneteenth however you do, if you're in the US. Otherwise, let's do our part anyway. 

Few of us live in places where original and minority residents haven't had a bad time.  Those of us who were born in another country and moved at will are really the human equivalent of an introduced species.

We owe a lot to the original caretakers of the land, in my case the Lenni Lenape tribe,  whose artifacts still turn up right where I live. I thank them by caring for the land, recycling, living happily frugally, sparing water, in the past teaching workshops about their crafts and skills.

And I need to honor and thank the people brought here by force, to build and cultivate the land in misery, torn from their own lands. Black people literally built Washington, including the White House. 

It's the least I can do, as an educated white woman, offered in the US opportunity denied me by class and religion in the place I was born. I was unaware for so long of the cost of my  American opportunity to people who never had my options. So now I try to be aware, be an ally, not an exploiter.  And I'm so thankful. My part is so tiny, but it's what I can do. 

Thanks for listening!

Photo AC 



31 comments:

  1. Thank you for your eye-opening tribute to Juneteenth and all who celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. black people literally built this country. I like your new puzzle. I don't know if I've mentioned this but you might consider a good chiropractor for the pain in your neck especially if it's a pinched nerve. a minor adjustment might take care of it. I know many people are suspicious or fearful of chiropractic care but my main health care provider for decades was a chiropractor/kinesiologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fearful of neck adjustment with a family history of stroke. But I'll consult with my doctor, thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Even at a very early age I somehow recognized that I was born in such a fortunate position through absolutely nothing I'd done to deserve that. I have no idea why this was so evident to me from the start but it was. And I have never lost sight of that. As I've grown older, it has only become more apparent. This country was absolutely built on the bones and the blood of enslaved people. And of course, all of the country was built on land that did not belong to European white people to begin with. I doubt there is any place in this country that was not settled and/or lived on by the native people.
    Sorry. That was a lot.
    I like your new puzzle! I am having a hell of a time with the one I'm working on- many of the pieces have slanted, straight edges that do not indicate in the least where they may fit and it is giving ME fits.
    Have you ever been to a chiropractor? They can sometimes help with situations where a nerve is being pressed. I surely hope that you start having less pain soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used a chiropractor, maybe I should check.

      Delete
    2. I see that everyone else here says that chiropractors are to be avoided. I've been helped before by a few. But I would say that definitely, you should err on the side of caution.

      Delete
    3. The people I know who've got help are mostly dealing with lumbar spine and hip issues. The neck area is a very different cause for caution, much more fragile. On my doctor's agreement, I even stopped getting shampoos lying back at the hairdressers, because of a number of strokes being triggered by bending the neck just a bit too far back. It's an area to treat with care.

      Delete
    4. "a number of strokes being triggered by bending the neck just a bit too far back" I'm so glad you know that. Too few people do.

      Delete
  4. As I mentioned on another blog, I never even heard of Juneteenth when I was a kid. I'm glad it's finally getting its due as a public holiday and one to be acknowledged by everyone.

    I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of my blog on another blog! It's a very "meta" experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd seen Juneteenth mentioned elsewhere so thank you for explaining it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! It's more complicated than the history books suggest. Notice how long after the proclamation of emancipation this happened.

      Delete
  6. Your neck scares me- I don[t thing chiropractic adjustment is a wise idea. In 2018 I had a small piece of bone broken in my neck, it had toppled over into the spinal cord area and cut off nerves. - had i gone to an adjuster I would be dead now. surgery was required and that was pretty terrible but all is well now. Please rethink chiropractor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said, I am from a stroke prone family, so I would seriously consult my very good MD before doing anything. But thanks for the cautionary tale! I'm proceeding with caution.

      Delete
  7. Your musings on Juneteenth, race and privilege are great to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad people are reading and noting.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Juneteenth, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am another wary of chiropractors. Too many stories of strokes happening on the table. But I would certainly get it checked out. Scans maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I see my doctor, I'll get into it. Usually I forget. when I see her it's in a period of no trouble!

      Delete
  10. I am another who no longer uses chiropractors. I hope there is some resolution for you and thanks for your post amd thoughts on Juneteenth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been recurring for years. I'm just complaining more now! Glad you read my Juneteenth musings.

      Delete
  11. You expressed yourself so well at the end. I don’t think I have that ability, for it involves a little bit of braining. 😀

    Sorry you still have lingering health issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your photo that illustrated my point!

      Delete
  12. "My part is so tiny, but it's what I can do." If many of us do our tiny parts, it adds up to a lot. I too appreciated your thoughts today, and (time traveling) your graphic posted for Tuesday. Stolen lands and stolen from lands. What a legacy for this country.

    Chris from Boise, a day late

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used a chrio once and he hurt me worse than when I went in. I have never used one again. Sending healing energy to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Juneteenth isn't a thing here in Canada - yet. I think it should be and I do agree with your librarian that staying open to commemorate such days is important.
    I was a fan of chiropractic and still am, to a degree. I got great relief for my lower back but I didn't agree with neck adjustments which he insisted on doing. I quit going when covid hit because I wasn't comfortable putting my face down into the bench he uses - never quite sure how sanitized it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think chiro tends to be helpful for lower back issues, at least for the people I know who like it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!