Monday, June 26, 2023

Bunnies, apricot stuff, chocolate cherry dessert

 Yesterday this little guy hopped in front of me for a couple of blocks, just keeping out from underfoot

before he made a right turn to join his friends. There's two or three babies, tumbling about and chasing each other, not quite old enough to run when they see a human.

And I made what I expected to be apricot jam, using dried apricots I'd soaked overnight.



When suddenly after boiling just a couple of minutes, just starting to gel, it seized. I now have a kind of apricot version of hard sauce. It tastes just fine, but isn't jam 


I've noticed this kind of weird result before with using unrefined cane sugar rather than the white refined kind. I think the chemistry's different in some way. It's edible but not the consistency I had in mind.
Here's how it looks today.


 I transferred it to a plastic tub to make it easier to access.

And since tomorrow's Handsome Partner's 91st birthday, Handsome Son is coming over for a little celebration.
 
I made a dessert involving chocolate walnut cake, cherry sauce and chocolate icing 





And since it involved cutting a well in one slice of the cake for the cherry sauce, the cook got an afternoon tea preview taste of the cut out parts of dessert with added cherry sauce  


We celebrate his birthday as a memory, because he died on the evening of Handsome Son's birthday in August, so we keep that day for handsome Son.

I've been reading about language lately and thought I'd mention why you see me using the word nice fairly often. 

I had a dogmatic high school English teacher who tormented anyone who  used the word. It was LAZY, STUPID, CHEAP!  And we suspected she meant the user as much as the word. 

So I was traumatized out of using it. Then a few years ago I realized I didn't have to listen to Mrs. Butler any more, and I could say nice if I wanted to. Nice, nice, nice. It felt free. And nice! Neener! 

Too funny, since she no doubt went to the great English class in the sky decades ago. Despite this quirk, she was a great English teacher and a nice woman (!)

Happy day everyone, use the words you want, you're entitled!




24 comments:

  1. What a nice post! And what a nice custom to celebrate Handsome Partner's memory on his birthday. I'll tell you a phrase that I've been seeing a lot which bugs me to pieces- Heavenly Birthday. "Happy Heavenly Birthday!" people say on FaceBook. Why should this bother me? Who knows?
    I think your chocolate cherry confection looks wonderful. Beyond nice.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use 'nice' a lot. it can mean so many things. I had the same English teacher for four years in high school. lots of kids didn't like her cause she was strict I guess but she was a good teacher and all you had to do was listen in class to make a good grade. we used to have rabbits here, I wouldn't see them so much as their poop in the yard because I didn't get up early enough but I haven't seen nary a rabbit or evidence of one since this whole area flooded in 2017. I worried about the poor little animals that couldn't climb trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised rabbits haven't recovered since the flooding. Considering how fast they reproduce.

      Delete
  3. Nice IS a very bland word, but no more bland than a lot of others. How weird about the "jam"! I'm curious to see if anyone has any answers about why that happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yed, I'd like to know, too. I wonder if dried apricots have more pectin, aside from the question about the sugar.

      Delete
  4. Isn’t it bizarre how something a teacher told us years ago affects us so profoundly.
    Keep using nice. It’s nice, your nice we are all nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks GOOD! I don't see rabbits anymore but we suddenly have woodchucks. I have had that feeling about the word very. Being told there are other words to use that don't need very added. I am also over that. Very much and it is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote for publication, actual money changing hands, I did vary my usage a lot. But informally I don't feel that pressure to be on my best writing at all times

      Delete
  6. the word "nice" can be used with varied inflection- it can be sarcastic or sweet, sincere or a lie- like most of my favorite swears, it can be used in a variety of circumstances. And that is what is nice about "nice". Your cake - my word- I would dive right into that lovely confection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all this is true! About nice, I mean.

      Delete
  7. I think that's "nice!" And so is the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not milk chocolate, but honest dark, dark chocolate. I sure would want to know where to find the cherry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that chocolate cake is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to photograph quite well. The icing, if anyone's interested in making it, is dark cocoa powder with confectioner's sugar and milk.

      Delete
  10. Stunning looking cake (bet it tastes nice). As for the rabbit - we have young grey squirrels like that at the moment - squirrel chase games all over the heath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to be overrun with squirrels. Then for the last couple of years, unusual to see two together. I wonder what happened.

      Delete
  11. Today is the tomorrow of your post, so I wish you and your son a good reflection and remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice!! (so there!). Baby bunnies are cuteness personified (oh yeah, and they're nice too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks as if my nice blogistas are on board.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!