Thursday, June 29, 2023

Textiles and Tea, recycling, peppermint and puddles

Textiles and Tea this week featured Sarah Gotowka, a hugely talented young dyer and weaver, interested in using her art as a way to understand trans racial adoptions and the influence of history on crafts 

Herself a Korean adopted by American parents, she has studied her Korean heritage, particularly in dyeing indigo. 

The Japanese occupation of Korea created a forced labor situation for Koreans in their indigo dyeing. There are parallels to the cruel history of indigo in the American South. 











I missed it online, because of the birthday shenanigans, and had to catch up on the recorded clunky Facebook page, but I did my bessiest for yer.  She's worth checking into.

And Gary, on the grounds of recycling, brought over nice little glass jars


 which I'm also interpreting as a broad hint to make jam and share it, his favorite of everything I make!

I made the warp for the next skirt panel, so happy to be doing it, despite the price my neck is now extorting.


You just can't be prudent about health all the time without going completely berserk from deprivation. Today I'll do some heddle threading. 

Yesterday aside from being a nice memory day, had its share of communication breakdowns, to wit

I noticed when I was over seeing to the fridge arrival, that the peppermint I planted over there long ago was flourishing, and I forgot to bring home a couple of plants.

So yesterday I asked handsome Son to bring a handful of peppermint over for me. I was thinking planting, meaning handful of plants with roots.  He assumed cooking, meaning handful of leaves, especially when I reminded him to identify it by pinching and sniffing. 

So he carefully picked a handful of leaves, making sure not to bring stems or roots.. I've put them in a saucer of water to see if I can get them to root. If not, I'll go over and yank a couple of plants out to start in a pot here.

And current lightweight reading is Miss Buncle's next adventure

And here's a little French girl after many of our hearts and certain dog friends, too


Happy day everyone, stick your neck out, ow!



10 comments:

  1. I recently read an article in the New Yorker about Korean trans-racial adoptions and it's a very complex and emotional issue. I love that Ms. Gotowka is addressing the issue with her art.
    Would it be wrong to say that men are so funny sometimes? I hope not but really- they can be. It's so great that Gary brought you JAM jars. Among others. He does love jam, I'm thinking, and probably yours the most.
    As for Handsome Son and his peppermint leaves- well. That is understandable. I'm sure he thought he was doing the perfectly correct thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fearless, and really puts her beliefs and experience into action, in art and teaching. Yes, between Mike and Gary, endless entertainment!

      Delete
  2. I save jars, too. I'm obsessive about it! HS made an understandable mistake. If they don't sprout you do have peppermint leaves and you know where to get the plants. : ) I'm currently reading The Maid. I believe it was you who mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blogger, thought it was you. It's good, anyway!

      Delete
  3. According to my family I have a problem with jars. I can’t throw them out!
    I’ve been meaning to organise and sort them then put them on a recycling page to see if anyone needs jars.
    I do use them in preserving but even I have to admit I have too many
    I love how your son was careful to not bring you roots, lol. It’s exactly what would happen if I asked for some mint from either my son or hubby. They too would assume for cooking. We must do lots of cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I realized that most of his experience is around my cooking not my gardening. He's not much into plants. So credit to him for identifying the one I asked for.

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to the next skirt panel. I recommend a good novel. Can you thread and listen simultaneously? I can, and it get me to the end of a book sooner that I hoped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually listen to local public radio. Yes, easy to thread and listen. But I can only do it for a short while before the pain gets going, so I have to be careful not to go too long.

      Delete
  5. I think Gary was giving you a good hint that jam would be most welcome...good uptake by you on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!