Monday, June 12, 2023

Dog, morning glory and other company

 Yesterday I was planning on how to give the rapidly growing morning glory a place to grow, rapidly growing, that is,  out of the beginning pot.

The ground cover takes up all the planting space, so I have to do other things.

Earlier readers may remember my mini greenhouse caper, a while back, using a bag of potting soil set on a lid with its upturned translucent plastic container over it for a successful winter crop of greens.

I'm thinking of a similar idea with a bag of potting soil, one of these

pierced for drainage as usual, but directly on top of the ground plantings. No cover though.

You pierce the underside for drainage, turn it over, cut out a section on top  and plant into it. It works like a growbag. Anyway I'm going to try it. Placed next to the shepherd's crook it's currently hanging from, for a climbing support.

Without my interference, nature's doing a lovely job out front, some planted by me, all lovely, and look at all the green colors and tiny yellow flowers.



Yesterday suddenly exploded with company, with the warm weather and clean air bringing an old friend to drop by with her dog Abby. She's one of the few people I love to see without an invitation. 

Then Gary appeared on the patio, including my plants in his watering, so I invited him in, since he hasn't seen her for ages, though she only lives down the street. 

So he and Billy the Pup joined us, except B the P had to stay on the patio, shouting, because Gary wasn't sure about the two dogs together. 

Abby was delighted to pose for her close-up

Billy not so much


I did get my chicken roasted, after friend left, with a bunch of lavender.


Marinated overnight in yogurt and garlic. Great supper of buttered pita stuffed with salted chicken breast slices and fresh spinach. Can't beat it.

Then my Haggard Hawks puzzle book arrived, days ahead of schedule, and I tried a few beginner puzzles, succeeding here and there.


Full disclosure: when I put a puzzle on this blog it's always one I can, and did, do. I play fair. Which means there's quite a few that never make it into here. Although maybe I could try one of those, asking for help in solving it, come to think of it. What do you think?

So that's the picture Chez Boud today. I think puzzling might take my mind off my hurty neck. It's not the shoulder joint, or any joint, more likely, from the tingling and shooting pains, an irritated nerve. Not as miserable as last time, definitely, but nonetheless whineworthy.  

Happy day everyone, life's a puzzle, ain't it?




23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Billy's a girl! Named for Gary's mother. His previous dog, Bennett, aka Bennie, was named for his father! He did get along well with his parents, though it's an odd tribute.

      Delete
  2. "Whineworthy"- I love that! Or as I sometimes say, "A little screamy."
    Two pupsters in one day! Abby is obviously a beauty queen and no one has a sleeker coat than Billy. He's like a little seal.
    Roast chicken- the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I'm misspelling Billy? Maybe the girl's name is Billie? Anyway she's a girl. And such a beautiful coat. She and Abby are opposites in every other way.

      Delete
  3. re the pain in your neck, you might try holding your head, arms, body opposite of the way you do when you knit or weave periodically during your activity to counterbalance. for example if your neck is angled down, take a few minutes every 15 or 20 minutes or so and angle it back in the opposite direction. it might help prevent the buildup of complaining muscles and nerves.

    my sister uses bags of potting soil to grow different things, like lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I do all the preventive things you suggest, have for many years, but when your body's aging, they're not quite as effective. I lie back to stitch, read, with the material propped so my neck isn't bowed, alternate, stretch, rest, move. I think if I didn't I'd probably be about frozen by now!

      Delete
  4. Nice to have drop-in company. That hasn't happened much over the past couple of years. We had friends here for supper last week - first time we've had company (other than one of my friends who comes for coffee every other week) since covid began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's made a big difference to social life. I think it's slowly returning now.

      Delete
  5. I confess to not having paid attention to your puzzles. I find that Wordle and several expert rounds of sudoku are more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haggard Hawks is my complete capacity, and not the expert level!

      Delete
  6. Good to see friends again once the smoke is gone. Hope it stays gone, Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a wind and possibly rain coming, so it's looking good.

      Delete
  7. It's so good of them to bring you the dogs for a visit! I grew up with poodles, love them. Your chicken looks good enough to eat. My very favorite, roasted chicken. You know I don't even try the puzzles, my brain just doesn't go there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden is looking lush.
    A beautiful white fluffy puppy and a camera shy black pup.
    Dog really are funny sometimes. I miss my little baby. Won’t be long now and I’ll be giving her lots of love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll be thrilled to get you home! The two dogs are so different. Abby poses like a star, Billie is a study in perpetual motion.

      Delete
  9. I like the growbag idea. Dave and I did that with potatoes a couple of years ago, with moderate success.

    Billy the Pup is cute. I can see why he'd complain, stuck on the patio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie's a girl! She was only a couple of yards away, the other side of the screen door, but she fussed as if she was abandoned! She wanted to be jumping on me.

      Delete
  10. Nice to have visitors.
    About puzzles, I confess, I don't try them. Brain freeze issues.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My granddaughter is Billie so maybe that is what Billy should be. I love puzzles. Keep sharing them. I left a clue yesterday and you didn't comment on it. Maybe it's the wrong answer. Either way you could write a storybook with all your comings and goings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go back and check. Sometimes I miss clues when they're subtle.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!