Saturday, June 24, 2023

Broken roof follow-up, and MFK Fisher

Yesterday I wrote my blog post at the library, edited, noted and published. And then I saw a man with a seriously good camera and tripod setup, taking pictures.

Soooo I asked if he was one of the participants, and it turned out it was Wayne Baruch, the photographer who created the image of the tree falling into the house.

We had a wonderful chat about art, exhibiting, nonglare glass and how we hate it, his work, my work and altogether a good time was had 

And since photography is his retirement occupation, he's blending it with a previous career in artisanal construction, rehab, and work as an expert witness in real estate construction cases. 

So he knew the story about that old house with the tree on it. Apparently back in the 18th century it was totally wood, cedar shake roof. Then an early owner decided to add a slate roof on top. 

So when the tree came down, the double roof formed trusses which stopped the tree's descent, see sketch Wayne made to show me


He's drawing in the visitor's book, nearest paper to hand! It's so great to talk with a knowledgeable enthusiast who knows when he's got a good audience.

So that was my bonus.

I got home and found a lovely clean house, and the bunch of lavender still there. Then an email from the cleaners saying oops we remembered the lavender after we'd locked the door! So I said np, I'll drop it in the mail.

Found a plastic envelope, bit of damp paper towel, extra lavender, why not, outer envelope, their address off my Christmas card list, and off to the post office. 

Halfway there, remembered I'd left the package on top of the freezer where I'd put it for a second while I got my keys organized. 

Home again, found the package, back to the PO, mailed it, and came home wondering if lavender is the herb of forgetfulness. It's so calming you just don't worry about anything.

And here's proof that I have something in common with MFK Fisher

 

To me it's the cook's privilege. I've often wondered what other jam makers do with it. 

More rain for the foreseeable future, not exactly flaming June, but I like it fine. I'm designed for a damp climate. 

Happy day everyone, enjoy whatever chance encounters happen.

Sounds as if Putin's finally facing the Russian uprising music.


 


19 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, it's not the Russian people rising up against Putin -- more like a falling out between criminals and an impending gang war. But whatever weakens their effort in Ukraine is welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any Russian movement has ever been the people. It's usually warring internal powers. But, as you say, if it's to Ukraine's benefit, it's not all bad. It looks as if Putin's attack dog has turned on him.

      Delete
  2. It was very nice of you to mail the lavender, Boud, especially as you had to make a return trip home for it๐Ÿ˜€ Meeting the photographer at the library was a bonus. It's always one of my favorite places to go and a rainy day is even better! We are expected to have many days of similar weather in Nashua, NH, lasting into next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the cozy factor of the library on a rainy day is high.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely random encounter in the library! And what a terrific explanation of why that tree didn't kill the house. Two very fine roofs. It would have crashed right through a newer house, I feel sure.
    Don't you love MFK? I wish I'd known her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The construction of the house must have been very sound just to support two heavy roofs, even without a tree coming down.

      Delete
  4. A real stroke of luck to find the photographer right there and happy to talk! I think I may have mentioned...I have never made jam so I have never had the cooks privilege. You may be onto something about lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to make jam if only to get your foam.

      Delete
  5. I had to go back and see I had missed the post of the exhibit and the tree on the house. interesting photos. I disagree with the notion that the human built world is only 8,000 years old as ruins have been discovered that they date back 13,000 years and who knows what might have been built even before that of which there is no evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could take it up with him, as to his definition of building.

      Delete
  6. This Russia stuff is scary, but yeah, it's definitely karma coming home to roost. Or something like that.

    Why do we hate non-glare glass...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it knocks down the color and texture.

      Delete
  7. Perfect timing at the library and sounds like a most interesting discussion.
    As for the foam from jam, doesn't everybody eat it? My mother would cook it down until it was almost a candy texture, like a fruit leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recipes just say to skim it off. I think they should say and eat it, it's delicious!

      Delete
  8. What a treat to talk with Baruch!
    It must be like a video coming to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He sounds like an interesting fellow. I just love it when things like that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fortuitous indeed. A lovely encounter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!