Sunday, June 25, 2023

The growing season, and a new idea

 Yesterday I planned on shakshuka, but only had three eggs till Thursday, so I had a change of plan. I'd already substituted chard for bell peppers since I don't like bell peppers a lot, particularly the current price. So I thought I bet chunks of hake would work here.

Onions, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, hake, there's probably a name for this which I don't know. 




I drained the tomatoes and the liquid will go into the next spaghetti sauce.


It was very good, the fish cooked just enough to flake. The flatbread is vital for getting all the sauce. And I'm having the second half today.

Meanwhile Nature is busy. Remember back when I chipped a favorite teapot and started using it to root cuttings?  No? Well anyway here's a healthy group, two kinds of begonia



Now potted up, and joining their friends.

Outside somebody's creating lace from Gary's collard greens



The daylilies, Stella d'oro, are getting tuned up. I have these all over, including other people's gardens and around the dumpster enclosure. It's very easy to grow and divide.


And my cheap dollar store seeds are booming



The lavender got to its destination overnight, amazing, and was well received, like this


So all's well, and happy day everyone! Let's hope our plans work out or at least we have a backup if they don't.

Count on Zelenskyy to have a backup, always




22 comments:

  1. Watch out or that spider plant will be treating that begonia like a baby-spider nursery, the way mine is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those begonias are amazing! I've always heard they root well from a leaf but I've never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uou can't really stop them. I'm always giving away rooted begonias.

      Delete
  3. I think the name for that meal is 'Good'! I also remember the teapot, they really went to town and took root!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve never eaten hake. Cod, haddock, halibut and recently bass are on our plates here. Our SIL caught three bass and shared them with us. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock is unobtainable and halibut wildly too expensive for me. But the others do fine. Nothing like home fished for really fresh. Around here it's blue fish, which I've been given now and then, caught by friends with boats off the shore. They're a bit oily for my taste , but I don't argue if I'm offered one!

      Delete
  5. You have such green fingers! Do you have to drill holes into the teapots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I just rooted them in water, to move into regular pots once they get started. This was a favorite pot I accidentally chipped so that it won't pour well, so this is its second life.

      Delete
  6. With nothing else but plants, I rubbed green onion juice on plants being chewed on. I forget if it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess that I did have doubts about those $ seeds. Unsurprisingly, I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too , but thought that at 4 packets for a dollar, it wasn't a big risk! Turns out it's better than some much more expensive seeds that went nowhere in previous years.

      Delete
  8. With your culinary skills , you should open a restaurant. The lavender is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind words, but it's easy to cook for one!

      Delete
  9. New plants from cuttings is an absolute favourite way of getting freebies
    Dollar store seeds. Your starting to sound like me. Just throw them in some dirt and watch the magic
    Dinner looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I wish I had your green thumb and could manage to convince spider plants that they really DO want to live. Poor things come here to die. I keep trying though because they're supposed to be wonderful air purifiers. (oh, btw - my snake plant cuttings have a wee shoot of green - I was so excited)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always had a spider plant going at work, because of the air purifying claims.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!