Friday, June 16, 2023

Fridge ahoy, misfits, Bloomsday and Dalloway Day.

Yesterday involved multiple texts and messages and emails and phone calls to a couple of local non big box stores I've bought appliances from and done okay. 

I eventually found a  fridge model which seemingly will fit the space, the doorways, my budget and handsome son's color preference -- white-- and my other concerns -- no icemaker, because of friends' ice maker flooding disasters, and it's a second floor condo with a downstairs neighbor. So it's paid for, ow, and on for delivery Wednesday.  

After all this stressful stuff, I was so spent I went and lay outside in the shade listening to birds. Quite possibly dozing off too.

Handsome Son is happy with the prospective new fridge, emptied out his old freezer, found most of the contents were of interest mainly to archaeologists, and brought the rest over to put in my chest freezer. 

He'll empty the fridge as he goes, in time for the new one. He certainly needed to declutter, though this is an expensive way to go about it. 

Despite the stress, this was encouraging to me to know my ability to deal with setbacks is still there and functioning fine, including multiple techie tasks. This is a bigger deal than younger people might realize, says she in a snooty tone. 

Yesterday the Misfits Box arrived, and I was fervently glad to feel well enough to face handling food, and washing and prepping.  Even thinking about, though not yet doing, cooking. The extra pack of carrots is a freebie they threw in.

Misfits has started a recycling program, involving egg carton bubble wrap, freezer gel packs and the foil cooler bags. The gel packs can even be sanitized and reused. So I'm going to start that.  I leave them out the night before delivery, where they'll put the new box,  they'll pick up.

They're conscientious about using recyclable packing anyway and after I've unpacked and prepped, I break down the boxes, bundle them flat with the other packing and recycle here. Just as glad to have them help though.

And today is Bloomsday, but my almost-read copy of Ulysses, which kept my place year to year, was lost when my old Kindle died and my classic collection wouldn't transfer to the new one. 

Also, since Woolf's Mrs Dalloway, wonderful stream of consciousness book was also set in mid June, I think this is Dalloway Day, too. 

If you're still not through both books, do try them. There are echoes and similarities between them, very different, both cornerstones of English lit. Yes, one is Irish, but I mean written in British English.

Both take place over the course of a single day with  all the intersecting lives and encounters from the viewpoint of the main character, Bloom in Ulysses, Mrs Dalloway in the eponymous novel.

Mrs Dalloway in particular, continues to be significant with its contrast between the elegant Mrs Dalloway off to buy flowers for her party and the suicidal war veteran with PTSD. In this case WW1, but poignantly timely still. It's really worth experiencing.

After a couple of interested comments about our gardens, I think, this being a great time of year, I'll wander around the street today getting pictures for you. 

We have landscapers, and we plant in spite of their cut and slash approach. We do have official shrubs and trees, too, which they "prune", oh dear. More tomorrow.

Happy day, everyone! Thanks so much for all the care and concern this week. I've had better weeks, but nobody has better blogistas.




23 comments:

  1. I think you're feeling at least somewhat better. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did take to stream of consciousness writing as a student in uni. You sound like you are doing some what better! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think s of c depends a lot on how your own mind works. For some people it's lock and key, for others it's what's the point!

      Delete
  3. Very happy the fridge has been selected and is coming and glad you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. I would have to go to bed for a day after the stress and effort of buying a new refrigerator. Good joy, you!
    Glad you're feeling better.
    What are you going to do with all of those carrots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some carrots will be steamed to go with fish, some in soup, I think. And some raw in salads, now that my romaine arrived

      Delete
  5. More great news you are feeling better.

    Joyce I shall commit to read this summer. I have all his books and more that are about him. One belongs in a museum, a hardciver book being bent nrarly in half in transit. Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read either of those books although I did attempt Ulysses many years ago. Got bogged down shortly after I started so decided it simply wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's best to start with something like Dubliners, to get the hang of Joyce. Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake are the deep end!

      Delete
  7. I will retry both as I have disremembered most of what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of Mrs Dalloway and Virginia Woolf, did you ever read "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham or see the wonderful movie made from it starring Meryl Streep? Both update the basic Mrs Dalloway plot to the modern world in what has become a classic feminist retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to both. It was also the original title of Mrs Dalloway I believe.

      Delete
  9. You sound better. And having to deal with all that this week, although annoying, at least you did deal with it. And well by the sounds of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not very good timing but I got through it.

      Delete
  10. 3 Cheers for finding what you wanted for the fridge. Not an easy chore these days everything is oversized. Your misfits looks to be a good combination of food. I love to slice carrots then sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and or ginger with olive oil and bake in the oven.....so good. Hope the coming week is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great carrot idea, thank you. I might do that with the fish instead of steaming.

      Delete
  11. glad you are feeling better and how great that misfits has started their won recycle program. I used to be able to stay up with technology but I fear it's passed me by now. just don't have the interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here it would have been impossible to shop for the fridge without using several different tech communications.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!