Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Standby, long game, Vicky, and friends

Today's the anniversary of Queen Victoria's accession,  and I wonder if Canadians still celebrate her birthday, always wondered why, since nobody in England ever did that I know of. Anyway here's a bit of Vicky slang which sounds pretty modern to me

And speaking of the long game, nature definitely plays it with this sansevieria plant. It has an ugly common name which I don't use and will block if it appears in comments, this being a misogyny free area.

Anyway


Here's the ancient one I grew from a leaf I took from a plant that I summered on the patio for a friend. It was her rental for the season, one leaf to start my own plant.

These things take literally years to root,but as you see, it's doing fine.


Next to it is a pot of cuttings from it, which have been looking like this for about two years. A couple shriveled up and I took them out. 

Yesterday I thought maybe I'd test whether they were worth waiting for, pulled one up and ohemgee, roots! So I put her back and we'll continue to wait more or less patiently.

This is such an antidote to the rush of spring and seedlings outside and birds flying the nest. and she has her own rules.

This plant observes direction. When you plant cuttings from a leaf, they will only root if they're the same way up as on the parent plant. So, when you cut, you have to lay them down the right way ready to plant,  or they won't do anything.  I like knowing this secret handshake.

And lastly before we run away and set Juneteenth aside till next year, just a note

Tomorrow the Great Fridge Delivery takes place. Between 9 and 12. I suppose the long window allows for issues with earlier deliveries. Handsome Son will still be home, his shift not till afternoon, so I'll have company, and I hope all goes well. 

The very good part of this is that this year's homestead rebate, an annual  state attempt to offset the skyhigh property tax, number one in the nation, yay us, was very good this year and my rebate  will cover this cost. 

When it arrived I set it aside assuming it would go on an appliance either here or at the condo. And so it came to pass.

Happy day, everyone, may your long term plans come to pass. Short ones too are good.

Here's a short term one, a puzzle





25 comments:

  1. I didn’t know about Queen Victoria. Or the secret handshake.
    I’ve learnt new things today. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Got the Perpetual" -- funny. Never heard THAT before.

    An alternative to the misogynistic name, should you desire one, is "snake plant."

    I worked out a guess on the puzzle. It took me forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might apply to you. Great sneaky clue there.

      Delete
  3. I shall definitely have to remember to say I've got the morbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good, isn't it? I liked that one a lot. It sounds very modern.

      Delete
  4. Have we had that puzzle before? I'm sure we've had the answer before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I do love those Victorian phrases. "The Morbs" says it best, I think. My friend Sue used to say, "I have the saddies today." I got that.
    What a perfect meme. Exactly!
    We call that plant a snake plant. I know the other name you're talking about and will not repeat it. I have started the teeniest one and it's taken so long that I am not sure where I got the original piece. I think in Roseland from the woods. I'm going to tell myself that. I have a mature one, too.
    I hope the refrigerator installation goes easily and well! I'm always curious to see what lies under the old refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve also reminded me of that name. It's a better go-to if the Latin one escapes you.

      Delete
  6. We call that Snake plant. F had several in Greece that had been 'rescued' from a pot that had sat on a vacant section all summer - unwatered and as dry as an Arabs sandal. Remarkably, following being dropped into a bucket of water for 24 hours, having the roots prised apart (it was extraordinarily rootbound, which is why it might have been dumped in the first place), and pieces repotted, 90% of the pieces went on to produce healthy plants. It's robust stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can survive some really unpromising starts. I think beginning plant people like it because it's ai hardy.

      Delete
  7. My dad taught me that about the secret handshake, though he didn't call it that. All the plants from this family must be set directionally. That includes yucca. I have fond memories of my grandson, replanting yucca leaves in the garden, muttering "face north, I say".

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do have a Victoria Day holiday in May, but I am not sure that we exactly celebrate the old girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed that she features at all in modern Canada. No rush to change things!

      Delete
  9. The Absolute History channel on YouTube has a number of fascinating historical series including The Victorian Farm (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn7kF6rzmTaowqA1L9C67BOGm1SqiQBfY). Two archaeologists and a historian spend a year living there as they did in Victorian times. It's well done and extremely interesting, especially because of the technological advances at the time. I watched this series while doing handwork in the evenings. I'm almost done with The Edwardian Farm now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. I must check this out.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes, Canadians still celebrated "Victoria Day" on May 24th to mark Queen Victoria's birthday. It's the first long weekend of the summer when many people go camping and drink lots of beer. We're good little colonials. No one else in the entire Commonwealth (former British Empire) still marks her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody else anywhere, then. I never even knew when her birthday was, growing up in England!

      Delete
  11. I have had the morbs. Better now. I have one of those plants and know the common name, which I shall not use! Thanks for the info, I knew none of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good to see you in here, Sandra. Let's hope the morbs are done

      Delete
    2. I am back in the figurative saddle!

      Delete
  12. Yes, Canadians still celebrate Queen Vic's birthday, although now it's more known as '24th of May' weekend or 'May 24' (in reference to a case of 24 beers), I don't suppose too many youngsters have any knowledge of the Queen.
    On your suggestion quite awhile ago I planted three cuttings of snake plant and haven't yet thrown them out, despite absolutely no outward signs of life. I finally dug up one and lo and behold...there be roots!!! Tucked very carefully back into the soil and I now await further developments.
    Smart thinking on your part to have the $$ set aside for a new fridge. We keep expecting ours to cause problems but keep hoping it hangs on. We brought our own when we moved here but any replacements will be landlord-issued from now on which will mean a much smaller size AND back to the freezer on the top which we don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad you've been patient with your snake plant. And that you checked before dumping it. I really like the top freezer for handsome son's galley kitchen. There's room higher up to access it. A bottom freezer would be a conundrum to get into, because of limited space between sides.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!