Thursday, March 19, 2026

Wall to wall food, must be Thursday

 I found a nice tuna cheese recipe on Spain on a Fork today and took my mind off my endless sneezing, maybe seasonal, who knows, by making it. Misfits weren't scheduled till afternoon.




I had one can of tuna, but that was okay, and no fizzy water, used tap, also okay. And they came out fine. Enough of everything to do this again tomorrow. 

I like a dipping sauce, too.  It's interesting. So in case you want to try this, I've given you my written up recipe, but credit to SOAF.

 Misfits day today, feverish excitement. The recyclables are out, opposite the bag of spatulas to be picked up today. 

After I brought in the box, I noticed the spatulas had gone, so I dropped a line to the Freecycler saying I hoped he'd picked them up, because someone had. In case it wasn't he, it would save him a trip, was the thinking. Ed note later: he got in touch to say it's okay it wuz me 




This was quite a big order, catching up with leafy greens and parsley. Once in a while I have kale, the curly kind more to my taste. Cans to share with the food pantry, a dent to report and get a refund on, penne pasta to maybe go with the shrimp in the freezer, 

Rockit apples in season,  blueberries which maybe will be sauces or jam. Ground turkey for future chili, dried beans to get away from cans, again the wrong carrots, refunded, they picture orange, sent rainbow, oh well. 

Bananas needing a couple of days to ripen, milk because the usual supply chain for my powered milk was disrupted by storms and who knows where the milk order is. Beautiful eggs, never fail me. 


So that's the food scene here. It's all good.

Now I have to prep the food, least liked part of the process. But the green beans I ordered weren't in stock, so I don't have to wash them.

The sock is progressing despite having to take some out to fix it, and the current reading is a bit of a challenge, a 13th century writing on spiritual progress. 

Right up to modern times it was attributed to various monks, but now it appears that a nun wrote it, shock, horror, a female mystic.

It's pretty demanding reading since I tend to get in a blur with theology, but worth pursuing in Lent, which I don't normally observe. 

But I'm following a series of daily meditation prompts written by Sister Monica who's the sister Superior, translation boss, of her convent and a preacher as well as spiritual guide. She's also my go between for the Sock 'n glove 'n whistle Ministry. I've had a bit of convo with her about these meditations. 

Adjacently, I follow a young YouTube historian on the Tudor period who just did a program on the Beguines, which I investigated many years ago with the thought of joining. But they were dying out and not accepting new members. 

Look them up, they're fascinating, in having created a third way to live in community neither religious professed nuns nor totally secular women and it lasted for centuries despite desperate attempts by the established church to eradicate them.

The writer, mystic Marguerite Porete, was associated with them and paid with her life for writing this book. The Church fathers declared her a heretic, translation they couldn't control her.

So I rather confusedly came to investigate further into her teaching after getting into the, completely unrelated, Lenten meditation.

Happy day everyone. I hope you can eat well, and wish everyone could,  and Big Ursy, Ted and Pony agree. 


And I hope all my healthy foods help my brain with the density of Marguerite.





24 comments:

  1. I haven't made fish cakes in forever - that does look like a good dipping sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to like dipping sauces, and invent variations.

      Delete
  2. What a shock, a bunch of men with power, upset by and afraid of a woman. The Beguines sound interesting. I'm quite sure they upset many a "religious" man. Women who kept their own property and did good deeds? What kind of heresy is that? Women who did not answer to a man. Terrifying:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My own comment disappeared! I was saying I really like their approach, not subject to the church, but living in community, supporting themselves, running their own spiritual life.

      Delete
  3. There are so many things you can do with a can of tuna. The RC often makes mini impossible quiches in the muffin tin and tuna sometimes factors in the mix. They freeze really well and are perfect for a quick meal.
    The sock here got frogged. I wasn't happy with the texture using K3 P1 so will go back to the drawing board (once I've recovered from the shock of all that frogging) and try it again only increasing the number of K's to see if they are softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. adventures in spirals. Let us know how you go. And tuna is a definite go to food. I often do a simple tuna melt when I'm not in the mood to cook.

      Delete
  4. When I was in Bruges a few years ago, I visited the Beguinage, which had been a home for that order of women. I hadn't heard of Beguines before then. I admire you for tackling the writings of the 13th century mystic. I imagine thinking "outside the box" was hazardous for anyone in those days, but certainly for a smart woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church men accused her of heresy and burned her alive. So yes, pretty hazardous. So I think it's not too hard for me to try to understand her teaching.

      Delete
  5. The plateful is enticing. I’ll have to find and begin the Beguines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist!

      Delete
  6. Poor Margeurite -- but at least someone is still reading her book centuries later, now correctly attributed to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's having a surge. It's all over, got my copy on Kindle. The intro still attributes the work to a monk they name and go on about, dating 1927/ Quite lately a historian did the actual research and traced it to her complete with trial for heresy and execution.

      Delete
  7. I used to make salmon patties quite often. Mr Merry is not fond of them and I got out of the habit. Your tuna cakes look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're crisp, finger food and really nice. Maybe you can try them?

      Delete
  8. A religion based on an individual put to death what he believed seems to have a rather unfortunate history of putting others to death for what they believe. Maybe if Jesus had died from natural causes, things would have been different for poor Margeurite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting take, thank you. The gist of her "heresy" was that she saw no need for an organized church. She believed the individual constructed her own spiritual path in the company of God. So the organized church had a lot of feefees about that.

      Delete
  9. What a lovely spread of food! I would be happy with rainbow carrots, I never see them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drawback to rainbow carrots is that I can't make the soup I planned. There was only one orange carrot. The other colors are not appetizing. I expect I'll roast them.

      Delete
  10. It’s always the same story. Women do all the work and men take the credit.
    And yes. If a woman had, god forbid, a brain. And was actually, shock, not afraid to use it She would to be “ taken care of”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The church fathers couldn't get over being ignored!

      Delete
  11. I've made tuna patties as well as salmon. Both good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Religion is used as a weapon. Often, still, a lethal weapon. I don't understand the violence of christians who worship someone known for love and tolerance. Forgiving and caring. Warped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting that you strongly considered joining the Beguines! I only know about them because they're mentioned in a WW2 book that I read. It seems that some helped Jewish children survive the Holocaust (in the Netherlands, likely as a waypoint/short stopover on their way to safer havens) -- the evidence was circumstantial, but it seemed believable to me. Certainly, the Beguines were kind women, devoted to good works, AND also wise enough not to write down such things as would incriminate them at the time! Plus, they wouldn't've been seeking recognition from telling people afterwards. I wish I could remember where I read this though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The food always looks good.
    Heavy reading, but sounds interesting.
    Have a great weekend and feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!