The weather was warm enough to sit outside on the deck enjoying the improved view since Gary's giant butterfly bush was felled in a storm.
*Can anyone identify them? My books don't tell and online it's mostly how to eradicate spiders, which I don't plan to. I've seen these appearing for several years now and haven't noticed any damage to the tree. But I'd like to know.
You can see the white spinnerets they're hanging from. The globes are tiny, each a few millimeters across. I'm thinking spiders because of the lines but maybe not.
*Later ed note: several knowledgeable people on another platform suggest it's the basilica orb weaver spider, which I'm happy about. They'll catch insects including biting ones in their webs. It's all good.
Seeking never stops. Happy day everyone.
I read online a "cure" for coughing -- cover your mouth and decide not to. Hello?
Anyway cough on if you need to!





I don't know what those Halloween globs are and hope someone can help you remove them. Happy Spring any good luck.
ReplyDeleteI would like to identify them. They may be useful insects.
DeleteI would like to research those globs for you but my fear of spiders, even photos of spiders, prevents me:)
ReplyDeleteI am glad you're feeling better though. Just so you know, coughs last an average of 2 1/2 weeks.
Sorry, maybe should have a trigger warning. I love them and it didn't occur to me. Anyway, see my late note: detection is done.
DeleteGoldfinches and robins already! Fab! I saw a wild jackrabbit here the other day. Still pure white.
ReplyDeleteThat's their winter coat? Still, oh well.
DeleteI can’t wait for someone to tell us what those white balls are.
ReplyDeleteI did. See the ed note.
DeleteWow. I’ve never seen those. And I’ve seen plenty of orb weaver spiders. We one evening watched one begin to weave it’s orb. We stood there for 45 minutes fascinating by the incredible work.
DeleteThey're wonderful, creating their own fiber, even. But the eggs and spinnerets were only visible when the sun caught them. A few minutes later I'd never have seen them.
DeleteI am reminded of eradicating some sort of caterpillar infestation in a tree some years ago. In that case they were harmful to the tree.
ReplyDeleteSpiders aren't harmful though. Some caterpillars can be.
DeleteI've seen those spider nests in Africa. From memory perhaps Golden Orb Spider. However, I think they were larger.
ReplyDeleteYes, the golden orb is a beautiful spider and quite a bit bigger than this one.
DeleteWe used to have a few in our backyard. They built their webs every night and then by morning it was gone. I’m an arachnophobe and made a deliberate decision to never walk out back durning the night. Other than that. We lived happily never meeting. I’ve not seen them for a while now. I hope they just moved to another area in the backyard. I never wanted to evict them
ReplyDeleteThey're definitely friends. I love spiders and don't mind sharing, though I'm not so keen in fall when I find I've walked through a web!
DeleteThere may be a lot of baby spiders inside that thing.
ReplyDeleteHundreds probably. I think they have a high mortality rate, what with birds and that.
DeleteIt's amazing how much we can learn through blogging.
ReplyDeleteYes,actual knowledgeable people are generous, complete with references.
DeleteRead Charlotte’s Web!
ReplyDeleteIt's a wonderful book. Not many are a good friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both! I persuaded a spider fearing friend to read it to her little boy, because she didn't want to transmit her fear to him, and she managed it.
DeleteNature is so interesting.
ReplyDeleteEven on my tiny patio there's a lot to learn. You just have to sit a while and yoyou start to see.
DeleteOh, if the coughing cure were so easy!
ReplyDeleteYes! So many remedies available, who knew you could just decide!
DeleteThose suspended ‘snowman’ sacs are fascinating. The more I learn about who lives in my garden the more amazed and (usually) delighted I become. My garden group just hosted a presentation by local rewilding expert Peter Haggard. I had no idea that are many hundreds of types of native bees; and locally we have slug-eating glow worm larvae! (I’m less than delighted about garden slugs and snails).
ReplyDeleteOur local extension did a bee lecture online recently. Who knew how many there are. Including ones who dig. We get a lot of snails but I love the design so much I don't mind sharing leaves with them. Our slugs are so tiny you can hardly spot them but they're voracious.
DeleteWe get spiders with very decent webs - I see that you have identified but yes, it looks like the larder for a very neat lady. How lovely to get to enjoy the outside for you.
ReplyDeleteYes, it's cheering to get out even just a bit
DeleteI have never seen spider egg sacs like those -- fascinating!
ReplyDeleteI see them every year and hadn't identified them till now
DeleteOh yes, that will work to stop coughing. Right. Very thoughtful of the spider for having the web where it will help you.
ReplyDeleteWell, I welcome them wherever they end up. I can't think why people haven't used that cough remedy. So simple, really.
DeleteI can't wait to be able to sit out in the sunshine and warmth.
ReplyDeleteCathy
Yes, it's like a dream in the winter. Cold here again. I'm thinking soup.
DeleteHah - I love that cure for coughing. Easier said than done!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine sitting out on our balcony for awhile yet. We had more snow flurries yesterday and it's still only 1 degree C this morning.
It was 32°f here this morning. No sitting out just now. No snow though.
DeleteOur golden orb weavers, also known here as banana spiders, do not make that sort of web thing. But boy, can they build a web? I leave them be.
ReplyDeleteI leave spiders alone, because they're valuable. I think the webs at my neighbor's last year, huge, intricate, running yards across might have been a golden orb spider's work. I should check if they live here
Delete