Monday, March 16, 2026

Rainy day and a good friend, lanyards and cake

The day started with a trip to get scheduled lab work, courtesy of a good driving friend who treats me like royalty, it's amazing. Opens the door, ushers me in, drops me off then parks then comes to join me. 

Considering yesterday I was heaving debris around and walking a distance to do it, quite a contrast. Speaking of which, report on the day after a strenuous effort: fine, no aftereffects, hip is fine.  I think the exercises are working. 

Then home to a house and pot of tea, pouring rain all day out there, and my bread not being available this week on Misfits, I baked.

Banana, pumpkin raisin bread, well, cake really. Whole-wheat flour.  Pretty good. 

I think I'll give some to the driving friend for a review. Not sure it's sweet enough for most tastes. 

Yesterday's finished the spool knitted lanyard and attached the whistle. 


When the second sock is finished and the second glove, I'll send a little parcel to the Sock 'n Glove 'n Whistle Ministry.  A button -up cowl, gloves, two pairs of tube socks, whistle on a lanyard. I might be running out of whistles, all going to good places. 

I really liked the French knitting foray, especially making the spools. I had to review how to get the knitting going though. It's been a long time. I can see continuing this. 

And my self care currently involves reading and listening to historians on the Renaissance period. It was just as scary then, with demented people getting into power, but it's a long time ago, and they had great dresses.

Did you see the Oscar dresses? Some really elegant marvelous designs and stitching skills. 

Happy day everyone. Keep resisting and keep caring for yourself, including staying fit. That really helps me, anyway, feeling physically capable helps with a lot of emotions.  

Yes to that sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony.







38 comments:

  1. Glad you had no big 'ouch' over the yard work foray. Great whistle lanyard. As for the Oscars, we didn't even bother to watch any of it. We haven't seen any of the movies and don't have a clue who most of the nominees are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was some great dress making and tailoring though!

      Delete
  2. I love the Renaissance period for its art and music, but would NOT want to have lived there. In a couple of weeks, I'm going to an Early Music concert that will feature Renaissance music. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love early music! Enjoy. Tell us about it afterwards.

      Delete
  3. Demented Renaissance leaders also did not have access to nuclear weapons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the trebuchet seemed that way when it first came out! It's all relative..

      Delete
  4. Exactly what Steve said! Love the matching knitted lanyard and whistle. Classy. It’s wonderful that you’ve managed to rein in the sciatica. I tried everything for six years to no avail. (Oh, never mind! I just remembered mine turned out to be caused by a tumor on my spine!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a different kind of ailment!

      Delete
  5. Are you having high winds and rain there? Nothing quite as bad here.
    I need to take up crocheting again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tornado warnings, too. Warm temps, wind much rain. You might like peaceful crocheting. Handheld work can be very calming.

      Delete
  6. Lol. It was horrid, but the dresses were great.

    Have a feeling that our banana breads are similar. Would you mind posting the recipe? Fitness is a savior indeed.

    Spouse knits. I learned how in high school, then saw Ryan Reynolds knit on set. I can manage very long rectangles that curl at the edges. Relaxing but not wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted about the recipe. I do change up the additions often, but I'll find and post. Your knitting is serving its purpose!

      Delete
    2. If I may? @Anvilcloud my mom is into fashion. I'd join her after the red carpet. Four hours sufficed. We made it into an event. Snacks, bets on the winner, but it was a show. Performances, humor, the glamor she loves so much. Every year it went downhill. Even she lost interest. Funny how life works. The event that used to drive me bonkers: "did you see that dress?" I miss now.

      Delete
  7. We used to make a pretty big deal out of watching the Oscars, even travelling a distance to celebrate with daughter. Now we don't bother to travel 7 minutes to be with her, and we don't even bother to turn on the tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the show is way too long and self serving. But the clothes are good.

      Delete
  8. That yellow color is rather striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow is the color of resistance. That's why I chose yellow when I ordered the whistles. It's certainly eye catching.

      Delete
  9. What a good-looking loaf of bread!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So there is a use for French knitting after all. I did this when I was young and the knitting just became longer and longer, and then I got bored and never touched it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of kids do that, because they don't think up projects to make. And maybe stitching into a coaster or mat is a bit beyond a lot of kids ability.

      Delete
  11. The bread/cake looks delicious. The lanyard turned out well. I wonder if the twins are old enough for whistles at nearly 4? Probably their mum wouldn't thank me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. The big picture can be overwhelming, and right now, for me, it is. But I can pot plants. I can plant seeds in starter trays. I can deconstruct my sweater. I organized my spices alphabetically. Today I will learn to make sausage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, making life good around you is a way to carry on. We need to preserve our personal civilization amid chaos. Good for you.

      Delete
  13. The right exercise can fix many of our aches and pains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when we least feel like exercising, that's when we need to do it. Sigh.

      Delete
    2. I needed this nudge today. Sigh indeed. Chris from Boise

      Delete
  14. Well, the thing about bread and sweetness is that you can always add jam or honey if you want something sweeter. Is there a metaphor for life here somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very likely. I also like to add a spoonful of plain yogurt. The contrast makes the bread taste sweeter. Hm. Another metaphor??

      Delete
  15. Award ceremonies seem to be becoming more about the clothes than the performers. Beautiful designs, but completely impractical - but then, they're not designed for everyday wear. Sometimes, I wonder how they manage to go to the loo - perhaps they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haute couture eventually filters down in diluted form to mass clothing. I'm not happy to see the peplum back, though.

      Delete
  16. Yes, please on the bread/cake. You are doing something right if you feel no pain after your hard work. I think I like your driving friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay on the recipe, will do. You'd love Chris! I know several people named Chris, and they're all lovely.

      Delete
  17. Ohhh your bread looks amazing. I like the yellow lanyards too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This second batch of bread, whole wheat with added gluten, is great for sandwiches, too.

      Delete
  18. Your bread looks so good! I cooked corned beef today in honor of St. Patrick's Day and we will have Reuben sandwiches for dinner. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought for once the Oscar gowns and outfits were all pretty spot on. Nothing so over the top it looked completely bizarre! The bread looks good!

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!