Saturday, March 14, 2026

I'm hip, busy with baguettes, and winnowing

Hip update: three sessions of Will's exercises and the hip has subsided, much better, clearly the right approach. It's not all gone but the sharp and sharper jab at each turn is down to a pinch. I'll take it. I also did other exercises, toe raises, sit to stands, sideways stepping, all that.

I don't like pie much, even on Pi Day, so baguettes it was. This time I used one third whole-wheat with the ap, and added in vital wheat gluten to compensate. I had to add extra water to get the dough to cohere. It went fine.



Here's a bit broken off to show you the crumb. There's more flavor with the whole wheat, the added gluten made a better rise, and again the crust was great.

I'd taken out a container of strawberries earlier from the freezer with the vague thought of strawberry shake, but realized a bit of strawberry jam wouldn't go amiss with warm baguette. 



Strawberry preserve, to be technically annoying, because there are fruit pieces in there.

Then with hauling out the overstuffed  three ring binder for the baguette instructions,  I realized for the 83rd time that I needed to organize it.



A lot of the entries were either aspirational or more trouble than they were worth, or I just don't fancy them.

So after an afternoon of knitting, reading and sorting, strengthened by toasted  buttered, strawberry-preserved baguette, I got through it.




Quite a few recipes came out for the recycle, and I found a couple I've now noted to make because I'd forgotten about them, raisin bread! I have raisins! and I'm Freecycling a bunch of page protectors.

At some point I need to do likewise with  several binders of knitting patterns hardly any of which I need now, with my limited current knitting arena. But not today.

Happy day everyone, if you're in the windstorms, we're just at the edge, we hope your power stays in, sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony.
 




37 comments:

  1. Our jams have chunks of fruit in them. We doesn’t really know any other kind.
    It must be in the air. I spent time organising one folder of patterns.
    One was enough, it’s a job best done in small increments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the chunks of fruit better than the smoother jams that you get by crushing the fruit, as some people like to do. Yes, one folder at a time.

      Delete
  2. San Geraldo has about 150 loose pages of recipes in the cookbook box in the kitchen. I’m sure there are multiples that he’s printed out because of course he can never find what he’s looking for. I love pie...and baguettes and strawberry preserves. We need you. So glad you’ve been able to help your hip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first set up this binder I grandly gave it chapters! Breads, sauces, soups, etc. I'm glad now because I had very few duplicates, and I could see what I had, once I sorted out all the pages sticking out. I'm definitely going to make that raisin bread for afternoon teas. Or breakfasts. Or anything really.
      Hippolyta graciously acknowledges your goodwill.

      Delete
    2. Oh, if only SG did things that way. And he was a librarian! (Although the director of research libraries, so he “had people” for that.)

      Delete
  3. Wow! You are full of energy. Must be the exercises. I'm happy to know your hip is doing better. Those baguettes look amazing. That crumb is perfect. I would love to know you recipe. Hmmm nothing quite like homemade strawberry preserves. You are very organized. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The baguettes are on YouTube Baking on a Budget, along with a lot of other good things, and cheerful clear instructions. Try them, you'll find they're easy. You just have to allow time for yeast proving then two rises. The actual work isn't much.

      Delete
  4. During the pandemic, with nothing better to do, I had a big sort, winnow, and cull of my recipes. It's getting to be time to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was probably the last time I did it too.

      Delete
    2. I've been meaning to let you know Noreen Crone Findlay also has a crafty blog Tottie Talks Crafts. Currently doing 100 days of spool knitters and little looms. Making them,that is.

      Delete
    3. I checked out her blog when she had her Harcourt House exhibit -- I should check it out again and bookmark it! Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  5. Mmm, fresh baguette and strawberry preserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good. The jam was just a sudden idea, small amount, ages since I made jam.

      Delete
  6. My recipe folder is so old and over full that it fell apart. I really need to do some sorting and find a new smaller folder but I just know that the moment I throw a recipe out one of the family will be asking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Now, though, it's often possible to find a similar recipe online.

      Delete
  7. Strawberry jam on freshly made home baguettes sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. And not really planned, just sort of happened. This morning ripe banana and toasted baguette for breakfast.

      Delete
  8. I pretty well lost the plot once you said you don’t like pie. It’s hard to concentrate after that. 🤓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so unlikely. But for me it's too much crust or something.

      Delete
  9. Strawberry jam/preserve/conserve - mouth-watering. Pleased to hear the hip is behaving better, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam by any name is really good. Nothing better than homemade small batch.

      Delete
  10. And that sounds perfect!
    While shopping at the resale store yesterday with my son and his wife, we came across a 1947 "Recipe Book." It was held together with a rubber band, the cover crumbling, the pages too. Within it we found a few loose pages of notes including one mimeographed page of how to throw a senior banquet. I believe that would have been for high school seniors. It gave time-lined, step-by-step instructions of what to do and in what order and what to prepare for this grand event. I should have bought the little book for that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suspect it's time the RC went through his recipe collection and downsized a lot of them. The criteria now comes down to not only a recipie tasting good but the amount of work required to make it. Too much effort equals not keeping a recipe. We are hugely on the side of KISS these days.
    So glad to hear that your hip is responding well to the new exercise routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that lengthy recipes and lengthy ingredient lists don't make it for me either.

      Delete
  12. Home made strawberry conserve with home made bread. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. Neither is hard to do. You just need to be in the mood.

      Delete
  13. Your bread and preserves look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the term "Aspirational Recipes." I have a lot of those too and you know, they really need to get dumped. That would have been a good winter project! The bread and preserves look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a spring project too! It's much easier to find what I want now that all the unisex pages are recycled.

      Delete
    2. Unisex? Unwanted was what I wrote!

      Delete
    3. I just happened to read your previous reply and had to come back to the original comment to see what you were talking about. I LOVE this! Much better to be unisex than unwanted.

      Delete
  15. There's nothing better than any type of fresh baked bread, Boud, and baguettes with strawberry preserves looked delicious 😋. Today, I am also going through binders and files of paperwork and expect to also have quite a pile to recycle. It's an all-day rain event in nashua, NH, perfect for decluttering, bread making and home made chicken soup for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like good plans. Here its knitting and baking.

      Delete
  16. Everything looks tasty!
    Organizing always feels so good afterwards--and I enjoy the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!