Tuesday, March 24, 2026

Soup, banana bread and Textiles and Tea

Today was about doing laundry, since I ran out of clean clothes while I wasn't looking, and making soup because I like a supply around 

Cream of kale and rainbow carrot soup, with chicken stock mix and homemade vegetable stock, turmeric, ground flaxseeds, curry powder, salt. There were onions in the stock already. Toasted baguette. Very strengthening! 

And since I'm seeing handsome Son for rides to the doctor and post office tomorrow, banana blueberry bread because he'd be all sad if there weren't any.

Then there was Textiles and Tea with Greek musician and weaver 

A wonderful artist who weaves and uses the rhythm of the shuttle to sing to and set to music, some of it her own songs. 

Now working in New Orleans via Canada, she revisits Greece most years, taking her loom everywhere with her.

She does live performance of singing and weaving with backup music and raffles off the woven piece at the end of the evening!

Bay Area blogistas, she's touring your area for two weeks in April. You might want to check her website and see if you can get there. She's a dynamo.

Usually working in cotton fiber and plain weave, she makes wall pieces and yardage, and her music is a big part of her process.

During this episode, participants made all kinds of excited plans for a loom orchestra, to rehearse on Zoom and perform at the next national gathering! 

Everything from drums, a knitting section, an all age spool knitting section with spools doubling as percussion, the ideas went on and on, great fun. So watch this space!


Here she is singing and weaving, the clack of the loom providing rhythm 






She likes to literally connect people with fiber, where if she makes and gives several scarves from one warping, she'll tell the recipients about each other, a great way to create a fiber community.

She's a spontaneous weaver, once she's established the colors and fiber, she designs freeform.

This episode was like a party! Such a multi talented woman.

Happy day everyone.  Do everything all at once! Without personal injury is best.









25 comments:

  1. Some people are so gifted. To be able to weave and use that as the basis for music is incredible. I'm not a fan of kale, although I've never had it in a soup.
    That meme is so true, isn't it? Sad and true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phoebe is so gifted and such a happy person. I don't like kale other than blended in a soup. This one worked nicely. Yes, ruefully I have to agree about the meme.

      Delete
  2. Ha! I actually clicked the arrow on that one picture, expecting it to move. Didn't realize it was a screenshot or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Force of habit! You can probably see the video on her website.

      Delete
  3. Mmm, banana bread with blueberries in it -- I'll have to try that next time I make banana bread. And that meme reminds me of the old joke answer about what the world would be like without men -- it would be full of fat, hairy, happy women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blueberries are a good addition. And that's a funny answer!

      Delete
  4. Clog dancing was apparently a feature of the rhythm of mills in Lancashire - music and weaving (well percussion and weaving)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clog dancing was done away from work, but yes, I expect it was influenced by the deafening racket of the machinery.

      Delete
  5. I hope your appointment goes well and that you have a good visit with your son, even if it is mostly in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes to all. He stopped in for tea and cake.

      Delete
  6. Now I want banana bread. Have a beautiful day.
    rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also expected a video, but, not getting one, went to the website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking! There's a reason I always include the intro slide with website info.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're improving by the day and getting back into 'doing' which is so vital to good health. Interesting to see/hear that weaver combining two different forms of artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's really unusual and interesting, why not both seems to be her mantra.

      Delete
  9. Boy oh boy, that meme says it. Banana blueberry bread sounds wonderful. If I were not halfway across the country I would be at your service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, distance as excuse, hm, missy? Do try baking this banana bread with blueberries though. I think you'll like it.

      Delete
  10. A loom orchestra! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see a ground bass of knitters, and my spool knitter tapping the melody as I go. I love it.

      Delete
  11. Best of luck with your visit to the doctor. Hope all is well.
    I checked out one of her videos and, whoa!, how complicated is that! To sing and to weave and keep it in rhythm would be so hard to do! She sure is multi-talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No coordination problems there! I'm glad you followed up on the video.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!