I woke up to a little post rally tristesse, so I thought a bit of earlyish music would be good. Bach and Handel aren't exactly early, but they work on recorders so I'm not arguing.
notice the player at the right? The instrument that reaches down a step. That step enables everyone to sit while playing. Very handy for the lowest recorder voices.
And here's nature's gray scale shadow art on the kitchen wall yesterday.
Meanwhile the knitting is a work in progress, so much to do, will the yarn make it, cue ominous music.
Last night was a study in not knitting while tired. I finished the cuff and checked what stitch pattern to continue in, blessedly the original knitter had chosen plain stocking stitch.
Looked back at the pattern which explained how to work the heel, so I started on that and had completed several rows, interesting learning, before I dimly realized I was ahead of myself. Then I noticed the small print explaining I needed to knit seven inches of stocking stitch before embarking on the heel. Duh.
It's the knitting equivalent of turning over two pages in the recipe book. So I unraveled back to the cuff, arghghg, and knitted several correct rows so as to avoid doing that again today. That's certainly a first for me.
In more successful areas, I'm very happy with the lentil tofu. Today's dipping sauce was adapted from that garlic yogurt sauce I made for the fritters. As is, it doubles as a green salad dressing. Then with added ketchup and vinegar, it made an interesting new dipping sauce.
I like sauces and for my next trick, I'm going to make Wil Yeung's pasta with white sauce using cashews, which I've added to my misfits order. It's ages since I used cashews, the Swiss Army knife of ingredients. And penne is a good pasta for working with sauce.
Happy day, everyone! Keep on resisting -- you see how many we are. Next to take back at least the House, and aim for the Senate, too.
Try not to turn two pages at once







Your meals looks so little to me. I eat a lot more than you do! But as long as you are active and feel fine, you know what you are doing! ;)
ReplyDeleteI have a small appetite, so I cook powerhouse food! Yes, a lot less than most people, but I'm 5'2" and 120 lbs, that's a small person! Each person knows best what they need. I get a lot of protein, very little filler ingredients.
Deleteyour dips and sauces sound delicious!
ReplyDeleteIt helps maintain my appetite. I like experimenting.
DeleteI had to enlarge the picture to see exactly what you were talking about, but, yeah, the man on the right would have otherwise had to stand up while the others sat. If you'll pardon the pun, the step lowers the playing field.
ReplyDeleteNot many people are tall enough for the contrabass, that biggest one!
DeleteLong ago and far away, there was a canoe trip leader (not me!) on a Massachusetts river, carefully following an AMC Guidebook for the river. He had jelly on his thumb. Suddenly, to everyone's great consternation, his canoe disappeared, having unexpectedly gone over a low-head dam. Much excitement, no injuries, some red faces. Upon investigation, two pages of the guide were stuck together with a bit of jelly - the the mention of the upcoming portage around the dam on the stuck-together pages. The event went down in local paddling legend.
ReplyDeleteChris from Boise
Well, mine wasn't quite that dramatic. Also no audience! Poor guy, I wonder if anyone was willing to follow him again.
DeleteI'm going to try that lentil tofu
ReplyDeleteI hope you do. I really like it.
DeleteThat contrabass is enormous! (I was going to say that “instrument”) but thought I’d be more specific. The kitchen shadow photo is frameable.
ReplyDeleteThey're all large -- I've played the two on the left, but the others are rarely around for a test drive.
DeleteI hope I can remember that word, tristesse.
ReplyDeleteYou'll certainly experience it!
DeleteDo you knit faster as you worry more about not having enough wool? It's rather like driving faster to reach the petrol station before the tank runs dry.
ReplyDeleteIt's a definite temptation.
DeleteAs the sewing, the ripping! (knitting in this case). Definitely will be doing the latter when and if I take up needles and yarn again!
ReplyDeleteI've knitted dozens of pairs of socks and this is a first. Just shows you snooze you lose!
DeleteI believe my soul is in the need of soup-making today. I think it will be a seafood chowder of sorts. I have two beautiful leeks and I do not want them to go to waste. Cashews are indeed a terrific thing to have on hand.
ReplyDeleteLong time since I made a chowder, usually clam here. Hm. Noted.
DeleteYou've given a whole new twist to ankle socks! Now it's to be hoped you win the game of yarn chicken.
ReplyDeleteExactly! I have plans about the yarn.
DeleteI LOVE cashews. Which is why I rarely have them around. Your portions are small but they pack a punch in the protein department. You are definitely healthy.
ReplyDeleteMy lunches are described by a friend as comically small! Plenty of nutrition though.
DeleteOh, I am DEFINITELY going to check out those recorder videos on YouTube, thanks! My upcoming Thursday post is going to tell about the Early Music concert I just went to. Wonderful lute playing but alas, no recorders. Can't have everything, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI had you in mind when I posted those recorder shots. You will be in heaven when you hear Lucie play.
DeleteWe had lots of good speakers at our rally - a cross section. The best ones were the farmer and the college students.
ReplyDeleteOf all the speakers, aside from Tim Walz, my favorites were ordinary people suddenly finding themselves at this hinge of history and meeting the moment.
DeleteYarn chicken is the best way to get the heart pumping lol I can’t help myself. I always speed up the knitting, crochet to finish before the yarn does.
ReplyDeleteIt’s never made an difficult to the outcome but I persist
As for jumping ahead, we’ll. I’ve been there too. A few times
Yes, why do we think we can get ahead of the yarn? Yet it always seems possible.
DeleteThat sounds like lovely concert! Lentil tofu is not setting my heart afire!
ReplyDeleteNo? Lovely lentil tofu? How is this? I know there are people who aren't devotees! But it's cheap, and great protein, and a nice color, too..
Delete