Sunday, March 15, 2026

The ides of March, French knitting and diy

The Ides of March today -- it's all go, Friday the Thirteenth, then Pi Day, now it's the Ides.

Anyway I finished that narrow spiral sock,  

and, while I was polishing it off I was thinking about French, or spool, knitting. I'd been reading Noreen Crone-Findlay' blog, Tottie Talks Crafts.

She's doing 100 days of creating knitting spools and little looms, along with her son in law. I suddenly thought why not make one with exactly what I have. I'd just replaced the tissue box in the bedroom and thought I'd make a spool.







This worked pretty well. Then I thought I might as well make the classic wooden cotton reel with nails tapped in, as  in our youth. 

I searched everywhere, and couldn't find any nails, anywhere. However in the course of searching I came across my little trusty folding Japanese saw, and remembered I planned to prune the overgrown butterfly bush. 

So I pulled it out of the cabinet, causing a landslide of plastic bags and small tools. And a little box of nails fell with them.

Anyway, all the neighbors were out and it was a windy cold day, perfect for cutting down the butterfly bush, from about twelve feet to what you see between the garden chairs.

So no helpful neighbor was going to run out and insist on doing it and ruining my fun. I love a bit of outdoor strenuous work. Then I swept all the debris off the deck, and we're good.

Finally, home again,  I found wooden spools and chose one, put on rubber bands to secure the thread, nobody said you had to use up the thread before you can knit on it. Then I tapped in the nails and set up the new, less Rube Goldberg, spool, and cast on.

This will probably be a whistle lanyard. Yellow for resistance.

This has been a productive day, one way and another. I think I'm in pretty good shape, considering the task of dragging several enormous, twice my size, craggy branches out about a hundred yards to the trees.  My hands are tired and a bit crampy, but otherwise all's well, as handsome Son often texts in the morning.

Happy day everyone, haul stuff around. Or just point and let someone else do the heavy lifting.









35 comments:

  1. I did some yard work myself today but nothing very strenuous. Pruning roses and a sago palm were scary though.
    I do remember those knitting spools. We would become entranced with them for awhile when I was a child but it didn't take long for our interest to fade. Those rugs we planned to make out of the coiled product never did happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those big dreams! A rug! A pillow! Then at best it became a coaster..

      Delete
  2. I laughed at the image of Fibber McGee’s “cabinet” and the nails magically appearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, too, with stuff falling all around me and the little box showing up like something revealed after an earthquake.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you practically gave that butterfly bush a buzz cut! But I know that pruning can, and must often be, a ruthless job. Your DIY spools rock too. I sure love that cheery spiral sock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bush was lopsided, so I ended up cutting way back. It will return and maybe grow a bit more vertical.
      The spools work, but they're not the little artworks Crone Findlay creates.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. A bit jolty today, but there was quite a bit of movement!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE making things with what I have when I can as well. Great fun. Love that for you and that sock, too stinkin' cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting idea, making with whatever happens to be available. Shop at home!

      Delete
  6. Hah! I remember cork weaving seeming so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a new term to me. I remember boys doing it,too, walking to school.

      Delete
  7. Well done. You have been very busy.
    I have seen those spools that make the long cord. I’ve never used one though.
    I must of had a deprived childhood.
    But that’s a whole other story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool craft that your grandchildren might like to try. Kids can definitely do it, with a bit of help to get started.

      Delete
  8. I remember the cotton reel lnitting, seems every girl in grade six had one and they would sit around comparing colours and lengths. I didn't have one, I wasn't interested in crafty things and had no idea what I would do/make with a length of tubular knitting anyway. I preferred to sit and read back then and still do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a lot of kids it was about making a long piece and I doubt if much of it got made into anything. Reading and making are both clamoring for my attention!

      Delete
  9. P.S. great work on the shrub trimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extreme pruning, down to a quarter of its height. But it's a vigorous grower and I hope it will be a better shape.

      Delete
    2. To get an even shape you need to keep turnng the pot so each side gets a fair amount of sunshine as most plants will naturally grow towards the light.

      Delete
    3. Turning a plant growing in the earth? As for houseplants, I've been tending them for decades! But maybe some readers needed that info, so thank you.

      Delete
  10. Goodness, you sure know how to keep yourself busy. I'm much lazier than you right now as we have snow outside so I'll stay cozy inside and read, read, read.
    I did think yesterday when you were posting about cleaning out your knitting binder that your knitting group would probably love all of the patterns you might want to give away. But you have probably already thought of that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people use online patterns now. They set up their charts, etc. on tablets. So I'm leaving that decision for now. Freecycle might be a destination though.

      Delete
  11. I remember having one of those spool things when I was a kid. You are endlessly curious, aren't you? It's a wonderful quality and keeps life from being boring.
    I'm looking forward to getting outside and working in my garden again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like trying things, especially making tools to use.Today drenching rain, no outdoor stuff planned.

      Delete
  12. No moss grows under you. I like seeing the Charlie Brown dancers, I hear the music in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful sock. I love the colors. Very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they'll please the eventual owners. They're cheerful

      Delete
  14. French knitting we called it. I chopped down several banana stems for Dad on Sunday and felt mighty virtuous! He did get to blower vac the veranda so I wasn't denying him some outdoor fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, too, growing up but most of my US friends know it as spool knitting, and then there's Canada, where some folks call it corking. Same thing, same fun.
      Nice to let your dad in on the outdoor fun!

      Delete
  15. I remember spool knitting being called 'corking' when I was a kid. I made myself a spool a year or so ago for some project or other (can't remember what it was now). Sock looks great, btw. I have one ready to do the toe using K3,p1 and the next pair I think I'll go to either a K5,p1 or a k4,pl to see if the resulting 'fabric' is a tad bit softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC called it corking, too. I like experimenting with spirals, too. Once you get the numbers organized, it's fun to try different combos.

      Delete
  16. I used to do spool knitting all the time when I was a kid and I recently found my spool again (it's very cute!) but I can't remember how! Now that I know what the technique is called, I can look it up! (Love your sock!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to check YouTube to remember how to start. Do you have one of those spools like a doll?

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!