Recently I've had a bit of a thing with Hippolyta, or more likely adjacent muscles. I blame the many icy days I couldn't get out to walk, though I exercise indoors, and the temperature and humidity swings.
I'll be seeing my rheumo soon but meanwhile I've been checking what to do.
I did a moderate level strength training yes2next video last evening, iced and even took ibuprofen, amazing, I never think of that. Result this morning not exciting.
So I remembered one of my favorite physios on YouTube, Will Harlow, and checked whether I have a touch of sciatica and if so what then.
The exercises he suggested and demo'd were among the ones my own physio taught me during my recovery last year. He'd noted I had a bit of a sciatic issue then, aside from the hip thing.
I like this guy a lot because his demos are excellent and he understands the difference it makes when you're older.
So I did some of his suggestions, largely about strengthening muscle groups to relieve nerve and joint stress. So we'll see.
In other gripping news, I had a chat with Michael the Artist Contractor about my bathroom and it's definitely going to happen.
But first, he has to be in the South for a bit because his mother is going into heart surgery. It's complicated and worrying and talking about her reminded me I don't have much to fuss about.
He still doesn't have a vehicle, a bit of a problem for a contractor, but he's been making do. And he's getting his mother's old vehicle to drive home. She has a new one, so this works. Anyway the bathroom will happen and it's not yet urgent. And he knows I'm still interested.
Meanwhile, the spiral knitting is moving. It started as a little experiment, and now I think it may as well be another pair of socks, why not.
One ball of yarn has made one pair and part of a second, so this second ball will be plenty. Maybe enough left over for a lanyard, too.
I've been reading a genre I usually don't have much patience with, but this one works pretty well.
It's a mystery in the style of Austen, with characters from various Austen novels, a generation later, Darcy and Elizabeth's son and someone else's daughter are featured. There's also the Knightleys the Brandons and the Bertrams, all old married couples now, some with children, from various novels, in a country house party. Enter the villain Mr Wickham! Perfect arena for murder.
It's quite well written by someone who knows her Austen and writes with restraint. Up to now, it's going well, aside from my wanting to poke everyone with a sharp stick to get on with it, do.
I just watched a YouTube video about meals the channeler made when they were broke. Several pretty much like my usual stuff. Hm. Except she buys at Wal***t and the dollar store. But I may swipe her baked pasta idea.
Happy day everyone, swipe only the best. If you're going to commit a crime, do a worthwhile one.
Not sure we'll ever get the bloodstains out, but we're working on it.







I hope the physio exercises sends that sciatica flareup packing!
ReplyDeleteIt's mild as these things go, really
DeleteI've been more achy when I get up in the morning and I am blaming the weather. I have to get back to the exercises the nice PT woman gave me but I always put them off...
ReplyDeleteThe thing is when you're aching, you don't feel like exercising.
DeleteSciatica pain really is horrible. I have sciatica but it’s not the muscles. The nerve is aggravated by my back issues. No matter how hard I try you just cannot fix bones
ReplyDeleteI really hope the exercise helps alleviate the pain.
The very changeable weather will also be a factor I think.
It's not too bad, so I'm hoping the exercises help. I expect there's a bit of arthritis at work, too.
DeleteI'm sorry about your health but I'm happy to read that you don't let things go and are on top of it. I have several physos that I watch. I will look this guy up. Hmm a contractor without a car. Yes, that would be difficult. I love the knitting. Have a nice evening.
ReplyDeleteWill is great, no music! Straightforward intro, explainer, demo. He's also cute, doesn't hurt
DeleteThe RC has issues with sciatica but he flatly refuses to exercise (beyond walking once in awhile). Not much I can do to convince him otherwise. He also flatly refuses to mention it to the doctor because he claims it's simply old age. Argh. Hope the exercises help you.
ReplyDeleteMen tend to expect doctors to be mind readers! It's related to old age but it can be helped. Sometimes the thought of exercising is daunting, but it does help. Not that he'll listen to me either!
DeleteThank you for the physio info - I'll check him out. Sciatica lurks here too, just waiting for the unwary. It will be good once you can get back to a regular walking routine. You easterners have had an 'interesting' winter...
ReplyDeleteGlad you and Michael the Artist Contractor are continuing your discussion, and I hope his mom comes through surgery well.
The big news here is that mom owl spent the day IN the nestbox. She's off hunting now, but she may be committing to the box.
Agree, sigh, on the bloodstains.
Chris from Boise
I like Will a lot, and his approach really helps. Between his PT and yes2next fitness, I have a lot to thank YouTube for.
DeleteI know my bathtub liveth , a bit sacreligious, but it was good to confirm it. He's the only child, and very worried about his mom. That's good about the mom owl! Looking to chicks before too long.
Anything without the all-pervasive background muzak gets my vote these days...
ReplyDeleteI've discontinued some YouTube channels even though I liked the content because of the sound. Especially where the presenter is also talking so you can't just mute it.
DeleteI hope the hip pain (ugh, sciatica) isn’t too bad and is gone quickly.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Yesterday's two tries with Will's exercises have helped already. It's not so bad, mainly I fear its getting worse, so I'm staving it off.
DeleteI now keep seeing ads for the bathtub conversion that you plan to do.
ReplyDeleteThey get in even if you think about it!
DeleteI hope your bathroom reno goes well, and your hip pain resolves.
ReplyDeleteI'm hopeful about both right now. But stick around.
DeleteI will admit I have fallen off my exercise routine wagon. I'm only hurting myself. I have no excuse. I'll check this guy out, thanks.
ReplyDeleteYes, do. He's very targeted and I find him really clear about what's up and what to do. Works for me.
DeleteSciatica is a different sort of pain, isn't it? Nerve pain. Every now and then I go through bouts of it and thankfully, eventually it does pass. But it is purely miserable when it flares. You are wise to get on top of it with the right exercises and movements.
ReplyDeleteNerve pain seems impervious to pills. I suppose they work mainly with muscles.
DeleteI believe you are right.
DeleteI'm sorry Hippolyta is acting up! Hope the exercises help. I have my doubts about that murder mystery based on the Austen characters!
ReplyDeleteThank you, it looks as if the exercises are already helping. I was dubious about the Austen concept, but I found the Sayers follow up books very good, so I'm giving it a chance. It's unusual in that we know from the title who the victim is, and we're seeing an array of potential murderers with great motivation. Wickham's still alive as far as I've read, but there are already half a dozen suspects if anyone gets around to murdering him.
DeleteI hope your contractor can start soon, once his mother's well again. Waiting for things to happen can be trying.
ReplyDeleteThe good thing is that everything still functions until he gets going. And then I have another bathroom so it won't be very inconvenient while he's working. But I would like it done.
DeleteOne always wonders what happened next at the end of a good book..or how did it build up to the first!
ReplyDeleteWell done on exercising.
Yes, that's why I love writers who let characters play cameos in each others novels. You can continue the contact in a way. Such as Barbara Pym.
DeleteHoping for the best for Michael's mother! Very good about your bathroom still being on the to-do list. I don't use YouTube for much at all, but I sometimes do yoga with an instructor on there (most of the time, I use 2 ancient DVSs!). I also did a yes2next chair yoga session one day! That happened because I couldn't manage the yoga that I usually do, and was feeling rather sad about how little movement I could handle. Then I recalled your mentioning the chair yoga and looked it up. It was wonderful - the perfect fit - and I felt SO proud of myself afterwards! April and Aiko were so nice together :) They ended my pity party right quick!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found them. Aiko especially is so cheerful. I've got a lot from them.
DeleteI hope the exercises work for you. I had troubles with it about 20 years ago.
ReplyDeleteThey seem to be, but I think it's maybe the piriform causing the issue.
DeleteI hope the exercises work for you. Had troubles with that about 20 years ago and it was awful.
ReplyDeleteMay the contractor's mother do well with her surgery and he do a great job for you.
Hope your days have been marvelous! :)
I'm hoping all goes well for her. She's a nice lady.
Delete