Saturday, March 28, 2026

Surprise visit, tofu and NO KINGS

Yesterday I had a great surprise visit. Emil the therapist! He was treating a patient in the neighborhood and stopped in to catch up and hug. He was happy to see how well I'm clearly doing, and it was a treat to see him, too.

Among all the other doings yesterday I made red lentil tofu.

Because even in the midst of chaos and protest, it's important to eat well. Keeping up my strength is part of not becoming a burden on the people around me.

This will be crisp tofu katsu, with roast carrots and a green salad.

And this afternoon I'm standing for something, on No Kings Day. 

I took a lot of trouble to get to the US, and eventually get citizenship and put all my abilities and energy in service to my adopted country. 

In this I was like my 1860s forebears, who arrived also in New York, and have lived since somewhere in New York State. 

I didn't do all that to let a madman destroy our nation. 

Happy day everyone, stand for something.





22 comments:

  1. Here in Canada I'm standing with you and hoping that the demonstrations will be peaceful.
    How wonderful that Emil popped in for a visit. He's one in a million too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have been a massive day and peaceful. Yes, I'm lucky to know Emil.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for joining the protest, for joining a great country that will again return to being worthy of the intentions of it's citizens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, don't let the bastards win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have to resist in one way or another. Protesting today is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone needs to show up one way or another.

      Delete
  5. I went to the London protest! (We don't call it "No Kings," though, obviously. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's talk of the Not My King Republic group coming to the US when Charles does .

      Delete
  6. You are the absolute definition of a true American patriot. The real kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's probably the best descriptor I could have. I love it.

      Delete
  7. Supporting all in spirit from over here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got back from the No Kings protest here in Naperville, IL. We had a beautiful sunny day and the crowd was even bigger than the last protest. Some terrific signs! We had speakers and songs and chants and many cars honking their support as we walked along. My sister went with me and it was so encouraging to see so many people of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. It's our job on earth! Also part of my Catholic Girl Guide prayer. " Fight the good fight for the victory of our salvation ". Except for me it's salvation on earth, not being a believer in a hereafter.

      Delete
  10. You are the best representation of what an American should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always the immigrants and converts! It amuses me hugely looking back at how keen Catholic converts were compared to us cradle ones. And how passionate immigrants are to the casual approach of born heres -- like my son!

      Delete
  11. I admire that you chose America and did all the hard work to get in and be a citizen. I agree with you completely. And YAY for Erik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at the number of born heres who were pleased that we came,and flattered that we did, even. They felt chosen!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!