Monday, March 23, 2026

Resting, knitting, baking

Pouring rain all day, so, indoors,  I got on with knitting and next time I'm out, I can send off a package to the sock n glove n whistle Ministry.


And I was completely out of bread, so I decided I had enough energy to make a couple of wholewheat baguettes. Because the humidity was very high today, they were a bit flatter than usual but the crumb is very nice and the crust is good. 


I'm finding baguettes toast very nicely, to go with practically anything. 

With roast carrots and mushrooms for supper, for instance. Maybe a fried egg on top. 

Nice quiet day, no irruptions, maybe I'll bake a cake tomorrow. Chocolate or banana, we'll see. But I think I'll give the knitters a miss, not up to that yet and I need to conserve energy for Wednesday's bone density injection. 

It's all good. Happy day everyone, bake bread. Or don't, it's fine. Oh, the powdered milk which had vanished from my account after vague promises of delivery by April 25, has suddenly shown up, now to arrive Wednesday. 

That's March 25. I think the snow got it drifted in somewhere, since it comes from Wisconsin. Maybe by way of Idaho, who knows. 






34 comments:

  1. We didn't make it through the baguettes I had made, so I popped them in the fridge and then yesterday I made some croutons with them. Very tasty.
    I'm glad you're feeling better, but a little more time taking it easy (thanks to the rain) won't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a quiet day was about my speed today. I'm pleased with the baguettes. They're turning out reliably.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Your knitting is magnificent as are your baguettes. I agree, it's the simple things that bring joy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot to be said for quiet days. Sorry to hear you've been under the weather, but glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm getting the hang of resting. More or less.

      Delete
  4. Great to have a quiet day every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No interruptions. That was peaceful, just what I needed.

      Delete
  5. Those baguettes look fabulous! I can taste them toasted with butter and tea - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty good also whole-wheat, which I like.

      Delete
  6. Is anybody anywhere enjoying good weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The daffodils are liking the rain, anyway.

      Delete
  7. Every time I see you've made baguettes, I am so tempted to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty easy. Simple ingredients, too. Go for it!

      Delete
  8. You really have lovely baguettes lol
    Your socks look just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried on the socks, very comfortable, so they'll do.

      Delete
  9. Glad you found the energy to bake bread. (I don’t think there’s enough energy in Spain for me to do that.) Hope you’re back in top form soon. I love the colors and patterns in the top photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an issue of how to survive without bread, that determined it! I seem to be doing better.

      Delete
  10. On our small island, we lose track of how vast the USA is. We take for granted that most things are available most of the time. I think that may change soon, at least in the short term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our recent storms made a dent in the supply chain, planes grounded, trucks stuck, so we're noticing things arriving erratically.

      Delete
  11. Great colorful socks, and yummy looking baguettes. I've a loaf of ww bread in freezer, but prefer the recently purchased white loaf of Italian. It makes great garlic bread, which for some reason I was craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love garlic bread! Maybe you've given me an idea there.

      Delete
  12. Glad you are giving yourself some time to rest, relax and recover. It's good to pace yourself when you need to. Your knitting looks lovely and your bread looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at pacing myself, but I'm working on it.

      Delete
  13. Nice loaves. I generally have a mix of white and whole wheat flour. I like it a bit less dense. Your bread does have a really good crumb. I pleased to read you are taking some rest time. You tend to be all go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've ordered bread flour this week, new to me, so I'm interested in seeing how that works. Resting doesn't come easily to me, I tend to expect to be fine after sitting for five minutes!

      Delete
  14. I'm impressed by your efforts at resting! I'm also allergic to rest. So many ideas, so little time -- Ha! Well, it's not that I'm in a rush. It's just that doing things is always interesting and resting isn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I deserve some credit for doing what's totally against the grain! Yes, making and doing is interesting.

      Delete
  15. Those socks look fantastic! And that bread looks to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bread is okay, i think next time a bit more gluten. But I'm getting picky, unlike my joy at the first ones I baked! The socks are really comfortable to wear. I always try on, over other socks, before before sending.

      Delete
  16. 'No irruptions' made me laugh. You're going to miss Gary, probably a whole lot more than you anticipate. And, I suspect, he's going to miss you just as much. Silly man, wanting to move away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure. When he's been away for weeks, it's been lovely, peaceful, no broken meals. He's a wonderful guy and very demanding as only an extrovert can be, busting in on the quiet of an introvert.

      Delete
    2. Case in point: after the morning's medical doings and injection, and chat with tea with Son, and finally lunch, I was exhausted. Sank into a lovely sleep and was woken by knocking on the window. Help needed with pruning..

      Delete
  17. I'm going to try those baguettes again soon. Tonight I'm making a cornbread always comes out for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!