It really helps keep fretting at bay when you get your daily activism done then hang out with your friends at a knitting group.
Today we had a new member, a young man who learned to crochet a chain, plus our regular recidivists, with new and completed projects.
Here's our new participant with his first crocheted chain, really good work for a first try.
Familiar stuff here:
Showing where the spiral pattern ends and the stocking stitch toe begins
And the completed sock
Taken in different lights and different colored backgrounds, but it's the same sock.Convo ranged over stick weaving, age, cataract surgery, antiques, music, Joanne's fabrics, knitted rabbits, Maryland Sheep and Wool, cats,winnowing, Freecycle, languages and more.
Then home through pouring rain to make a pot of tea, get a piece of chocolate walnut cake and take part in Textiles and Tea with Judi Jetson.
She's a fiber activist with WARP (Weave a Real Peace), multi talented herself, and committed to supporting social fairness, handmade textiles as employment, sheep farmers and the appreciation of the handmade in a techie world.
She's a weaver, knitter (including yarn bombing), batik artist, dyer, spinner and more.
This coat comes from a difficult period of her life when she was felled for a long time by Guillain-Barre syndrome, paralyzed and needing long-term rehab to recover to normal health.
Many get-well cards came in during her illness, and, once well again, she collaborated with a stitcher to image transfer some of the cards onto fabric, to stitch together on a backing. She lined the coat with silk she custom dyed. And here's the triumphant result.
Happy day everyone, fun with fibers. Or cake. Why not both?
Hard at work cleaning her up





















What lovely work both at the knitting group and Textiles and Tea...love it from first to last!
ReplyDeleteIt was a good day for textiles!
DeleteThe finished shawl and your finished sock both turned out great! And I love the "get well coat" by Judi Jetson -- imagine wrapping yourself in all those "get well" wishes!
ReplyDeleteYes, that's literally what she did, when she was finally able to. It's a cool idea, worth noting.
DeleteThe shawl and baby blanket are beautiful. I always think pointed toe socks are a bit weird, my feet certainly aren't pointed and how do you fit those into a pair of shoes or boots? There is a different method that I read about years ago but can't remember where or how it is done but the socks ends up with a normal foor shaped toe.
ReplyDeleteThis is the normal sock shape. My foot is pointed. Every sock I wear looks like this, including the more rounded toe up style I often knit. I just put my shoes on like anyone else!
DeleteA knitted tree. I love it!
ReplyDeleteIt's Toad's bathing suit!
DeleteThat's a fascinating sock pattern. It's looking good
ReplyDeleteIt's very adaptable to different size feet, because there's no defined foot length. I make these occasionally for the knitting ministry because I don't know who receives them, so I try to cater for a range. They wrap nicely around different foot shapes and sizes.
DeleteHer name is really Judi Jetson? Did her parents do that on purpose?
ReplyDeleteShe surely does nice work. What a strange and debilitating disease Guillain-Barre is.
I have no idea about her name. She was born long before the cartoon Jetsons were thought of, though. She's multi talented and such a good humored woman. She seems to finally have made a complete recovery from GB, thankfully. Some people don't come out of the paralysis.
DeleteLove the sock. How wonderful to have a young man added to the knitting group.
ReplyDeleteWe've frequently had men in our groups, including our new Korean member. They're usually in the minority, though a lot of men knit. I don't think they look for groups so much. Rugged individuals!
DeleteThe coat is a glorious testament to resilience, recovery and support.
ReplyDeleteIt's really a healing place, yes, wonderful collaboration, too.
DeleteWhat beautiful knitting, crocheting, and weaving, so much talent. That coat is especially amazing.
ReplyDeleteThe coat is so appealing. It's lovely and it's meaningful.
DeleteI love the coat. A lot. I enjoy the fact that young people show up at the knitting group.
ReplyDeleteWe get a range of people. Some come once or twice, some infrequently, and we welcome whoever shows up.
DeleteGoodness, that coat is impressive as is Judi Jetson! Your knitting/crocheting group gets a lot done even with all of the visiting!
ReplyDeleteWe multitask! It's a lot of fun.
DeleteYou have such a talented group. That shawl is especially beautiful.
ReplyDeleteShe made it for her sister, such a great gift.
DeleteWhat a marvelous coat - imagine wrapping oneself in all those good thoughts!
ReplyDeleteExactly!
DeleteI agree there are some very talented people in your group. I really love that a young man joined in. I taught my Son to crochet and knit when he was young.
ReplyDeleteThere have been men in most of the groups I've been in, always welcome.
DeleteSeeing your sock has inspired me to try that process out to make socks for the grandies. Traditional heels don't work for them because they grow so fast. I'll do some searching on Ravelry to get the proper number of stitches to work with and see what happens. Have to finish the current pair first though.
ReplyDeleteI love that there are men joining your knitting group - that's wonderful. I really wish I could convince the RC to give it a try but he flatly refuses. I thought perhaps I could get him working on a Diamond Dot project but it's sitting in the cupboard, untouched. He hasn't even picked up a jigsaw puzzle this winter.
That coat is amazing - every time she wears it, she must feel the love from those cards.
The flexibility of foot size is why I like to make these socks for the ministry, not knowing who they're going to. With kids they'll last through some growth, too
Delete