Sunday, March 22, 2026

Plans and what happens

Saturday's plan was mainly to rest and listen to Tudor history, aside from vital cooking, and it went a little awry.

Gary came dashing over, wondering if I had any ice blocks for him. I've been sending them back to Misfits since they started recycling, but I used to pass them on to him. 

I did, in the bottom of the freezer, so after we'd conferred with another neighbor about his hurting knee, recommended my PT -- Gary is already setting up a series with him about his hurting back -- where was I oh yes, ice, we dug in the freezer.

This entailed emptying it to reach the blocks after which Gary offered to put everything back but I said it's okay it needs to be reorganized anyway. 

So while lunch cooked -- roasted rainbow carrots, tuna cheese fritters -- I found myself hauling frozen stuff. Not sure if the organization is working, but I was surprised to find how much oatmeal I had. I definitely have to shop in the freezer for a while.

Then he asked neighbor and me to save boxes, he's packing. I pointed him to the recycle where I'd just a few minutes earlier put a couple of boxes, flattened and tied. 

So eventually I got the house back to myself and I did the dishes, at which point I urgently needed to lie down, so I made a pot of tea. I also separated the milk into several smaller containers which I froze, not wanting it to go off before I got to it. Then I watered the downstairs plants. Finally I guess I got to rest. Or what passes for rest chez Boud.

Still coughing, throat's fine again, nose is calming down, I just need to regain energy. I may have to rethink my approach to resting.

Comic relief from the etiquette column today 

So would I if my potluck offering were described as poisonous. Bad restaurant reviews are one thing but this is a bridge too far!

I found a new Atomic Shrimp video, Drink Can Tinwork, great fun, craft beers made into boxes and their labels into book covers. I suppose if you keep drinking to get the empty cans your results might show it.

Happy day everyone, what's your version of resting? 

 Marigold and

Fluffina could give us handy tips.






35 comments:

  1. Please do rest. Mercy demands it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! The next chapter in my 52 tiny changes to calm your like book is 'takexa propwe rest efery day', meaning 'unplug from screens, radio etc and enjoyed the quiet' . She maintains that scrolling, YouTube etc is notcrest, but entertainment, and quotes Anne Lamott... 'most things will work again if they are unplugged for 10 mins, including yourself ' or something similar. She may well have a point there... I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often sleep a while after lunch, but loafing in order to get well seems different. I'm working on it though.

      Delete
  3. My friend Helen is all about energy. She has low energy days in which she does little and refuses invitations, and then does one thing only on medium energy days. Then she goes full out on high energy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm less versatile. I have two speeds -- doing stuff and doing more stuff.

      Delete
  4. For sure, cats have the resting thing down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are feeling better so you must be resting enough. Keep sneaking in those naps when you can! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. It's weird to get a cold when the weather looks warmer and sunny.

      Delete
  6. You do seem better. What will we do without Gary? There's a guy who doesn't seem to know the meaning of rest. Put your feet up for 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get a lot fewer interrupted meals, that's one thing!

      Delete
  7. It's hard when your old normal is now too much, isn't it? I had a week of running around and I realize I need to set boundaries for myself. I need to figure out that four letter word, too. (rest).
    Covid made me a little hypersensitive about buffets and potlucks. I have found asking who made what dish (and sticking to people and kitchens I know) is much more polite than a exorcism, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hard to deal with low energy. The original meal situation was that it's a small group of colleagues in a religious based workplace. Everyone says a brief blessing then this person literally prays to"cast out" poisons in case any of the food is not organic, after interrogating everyone! It seems easier just to eat her own food.

      Delete
  8. I’ve been “resting” a lot lately. Damned legal drugs. I don’t know what my idea of actual resting is. I usually feel guilty for being unproductive. I used to be able lie on the beach or float in the pool for hours. I now find that boring. Also, I don’t live near the beach and I no longer have a pool. Wishing you a return to good health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been able to do that beach thing. Twenty minutes would be my max before I started collecting shells, birding, looking for a bookstore etc

      Delete
  9. I love your cats. Cats always know a warm place to rest and sleep. I'm resting now after overdoing the gardening AGAIN. It's been such a beautiful day I can't help myself, despite setting an alarm on my phone to tell me to stop I always find just one more thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that one more thing! My late husband used to say I was never happy till I'd overdone it. Annoying because true. Marigold is my late great Burmese, abandoned as a kitten around my building, who lived to 16. The other is an internet image like my first cat Annabelle, found in a dumpster, who also lived to a good age.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to say that on your blog, a lot of your book choices are favorites of mine, too.

      Delete
    3. I hate people who just dump animals. Thankfully they found good homes with you 😊

      Delete
    4. I had animals, dogs, birds, cats, for fifty years, all strays or rescues. They always know what you've done for them, and they're grateful all their lives. They give so much.

      Delete
  10. Well, that was a fair amount of excitement for a day of rest! We need to shop in our freezer too. Dave goes away this week for three nights and I plan to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some day of rest! My labeling is a bit illegible in the freezer items, so there's a bit of guesswork.

      Delete
  11. I am sorry you are not feeling well. I hope you got some rest after all that.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read that Ms Manners post. The woman sounds like a delight. I would be tempted to list chemicals that weren't actually included in my dish just to give her something to really pray about.

    Seriously, I would tell her politely that she is better off cooking for herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nerve she had. I'd have been tempted to point to orange juice and warn her it was full of citric acid! She certainly was an attention seeker.

      Delete
  13. My version of resting is doing the chores. JUST the chores. And congratulating myself on setting up the barncams years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have guessed that! There's a minimum that has to happen no matter what in your situation. The barncams were a great idea. Saved you so many steps especially in winter.

      Delete
  14. Resting isn't something I'm good at and certainly napping isn't going to happen, at least not for me. The RC, on the other hand, often has several cat naps during the day. He, however, feels honour bound to make sure I never shut my eyes because he's convinced I won't sleep at night if I nap and has to bang about making sure I stay awake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HP used to do that until I threatened violence!

      Delete
  15. I wonder what Gary's like when his doctor advises him to rest. He'd probably race over to your house to get your advice on how best to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very likely. Then decline to take it, doing whatever he'd already decided.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!