Sunday, March 8, 2026

Time change, Sock 'n glove Ministry, J,Draper, IWD

I got a late start this morning, between catching up on lost sleep and the time change, and hurried off a text in response to Handsome Son's regular check in text, to which he responded "As I thought, np". 

The weather was like this 


Opened windows upstairs to air the rooms, so long since I could.  The local kids are mad with joy, rushing about shouting and chasing, no coats on. I feel like doing that myself. I did get out for a walk though I refrained from shouting and chasing, and did wear a jacket. 

Then I had to consider lunch, all the times  being mixed up, and ended with this 


Brown rice cooked with scallions and butter, broiled spicy sausage and banana with lemon juice. Sprig of fresh peppermint for garnish. 

While I listened to audiobooks and JDraper on YouTube, I got on with the socks which are almost done. A couple of my knitting buds are interested in trying this idea, too.

I've done this in different stitch counts, to change the spaces between the spiral as it develops. It takes a bit of computation.

About J Draper, who's a historian and brilliantly funny presenter, currently honoring women, take a look. Cycling and women's history today, intrepid. 

Turns out you need to be tall to get a penny farthing going, and to get on and off. Costume history and the vote get into this account.  She's always so well researched, a free-lance historian. Definitely worth following.

Meanwhile here's what pretty much fits my celebration of women today.


Happy day everyone, especially those of the female persuasion. And those who support them, she adds hastily.





31 comments:

  1. Happy International Women’s Day! Those socks are a party for the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered how the woman got on that thing. And especially with their clothes. I imagined a man who’s job it was to help get them on and off. Kinda like a horse.
    I found that pattern but for some reason I couldn’t buy it. I’ll keep looking
    Happy international womens day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women didn't. It was impossible in skirts. They started cycling when later bicycles were introduced, particularly when the curved bar replaced the crossbar. Then it was possible, but still difficult and dangerous. That's where the clothing changes came in, to make it less exhausting and hazardous. Not easy,much ridicule everywhere.
      If it's the spiral sock, it's just: cast on 57 , divide across three needles, work k6 p2 continuously till you like the length then do a regular toe. That's it.

      Delete
  3. Happy International Women's Day! Will have to check out your recommended videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and do check JDraper, I think you'd like her.

      Delete
    2. I did check her out and her videos are fab! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  4. It's almost over, but happy International Womens Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are so colourful, I love them. A car dealership near my home has a pennyfarthing upstairs in a display window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool about the penny farthing. I think I saw one in York long ago, on display, not being ridden.

      Delete
  6. Went down the J Draper rabbit hole. Delightful - and knowledgeable!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't miss the one about Henry VIII! And her commenters often explain references other people miss.

      Delete
  7. Our time change is end of March. The different time zones and clock changes drove my husband crazy as he chaired a lot of international project meetings for work. Gonna research those socks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard enough navigating time zones without their being changed, too.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. This morning it's a bit colder, so I opened them only briefly. But it's lovely to be able to.

      Delete
  9. Oh I love how the socks came out. Those bicycles sure were strange - I do wonder why they thought a huge wheel was needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JDraper explains it. Easier to propel, especially on iron rims. If you could get on!

      Delete
  10. I'm hoping to open windows later today, if the sun-and-high-50s forecast comes true. Still deep snow here, but the world is becoming increasingly soggy. A sunny day will be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our snow is pretty much gone now. It doesn't stay long in March.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! It's almost as warm there as it is here. If you take into account your highest temps and our lowest ones...
    I'm with everyone else- those socks are as colorful as a circus. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to be wearing fewer layers today. The socks came out okay. I hope someone will enjoy them.

      Delete
  12. A belated Happy International Women's Day! I will check out J. Draper on YouTube! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know what you think about JDraper. Ande every day is women's day...thank you!

      Delete
  13. One wonders, if the orange buffoon and his handles get their way, if the women's right to vote is going to be hugely curtailed by having to provide 'proof' of all their name changes - along with birth certificates and proof of citizenship. How many women have 'acceptable proof' of marriages and divorces and how many will attempt to obtain said proof - and at what cost. Couple that with the possibility of greatly reduced mail in vote acceptability and the line ups to vote will be even greater as all the paperwork is processed. It's downright beyond comprehension. Oh yeah, and Happy International Women's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since voting is run strictly by counties and states, he has nothing to say about it. I believe the SAVE act is dead in the water.

      Delete
  14. I like that you have that texting system with your son. Very smart! A man in my town used to ride a penny farthing around on a regular basis. He had a handlebar mustache and nearly always wore an interesting hat. I haven't seen him in ~2 years and have wondered about him. We always liked waving at him, up on his perch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen anyone ride one in rl. He was intrepid!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!