Monday, March 9, 2026

Spring sunset, cherry logs, and experiment

Last evening there was a succession of colors at sunset, rapidly changing and filling my house with pink light.




 And today was warm

The walk to the pond gets easier each day, less exertion needed to get there, making it look nearer. I wanted to get pictures of the fallen tree to show Chris the bark better.


They do look lenticulated, don't they? Old and weathered but I do think cherry. Around here trees are of long standing and some have hybridized.  But I think this is probably cherry, no? If you know better, please say. I like to know stuff.

Also the daffodils continue unabated, and quite a few that we planted long ago as a 9/11 memorial are coming up again now.


And I did an experiment with the spiral knitted stitch pattern, casting on the same number of stitches as before.  The pattern is k3p1, half the stitches of the other spiral,  still keeping an even number of stitches in the repeats, and an odd number total.


As you see, the spiral still works. 

And resistance continues, this time to send comments to the CDC about making the COVID vaccine available. There are three more days to comment before the window closes. Mine has been acknowledged, and here's what you need to know to comment.

You go to the gov website and they'll ask you to identify the docket, with the report number. That's the last line above. You'll get a drop-down menu to click on the COVID link and go from there.  Please do this. Takes a moment and you might help save lives. Every comment adds to the pressure to make it available universally again.

They do respond to numbers. The ballroom is held up because of the huge pushback of comments. Many of them, like mine, demanded he be forced to rebuild the East Wing! Not just me, then.

I also wrote a firm email to the nyt demanding fact checking, and retraction of the recent transphobic essay by Jesse Singal, full of inaccurate claims about trans healthcare.

Now drinking my tea, after nature study, cooking, designing, bit of gardening with Gary.

He wanted help in mourning the snow damage to his shrubs and I suggested ways to cut and prune a bit.  He hates to prune, and I refrained from pointing out that he'd have done better in snow if he had pruned. 

Anyway, he assured me that when he moves, maybe May, he will be my permanent neighbor, to call on! Such a good guy. He'll be twenty minutes away and since a relative will be his tenant next door, he'll be over here often.  So the friendship will continue to be a source of entertainment! NADM rules.

Happy day everyone, mine was pretty full.





34 comments:

  1. That's nice that Gary still wants to offer his help, even after he moves. Very kind.

    It still boggles my mind that people don't want to be vaccinated for covid, as well as other diseases. A very good friend of mine who has multiple myeloma and is immunosuppressed, chose to not get the vaccine this winter. She's already had pneumonia twice last year and pneumonia is one of the leading causes of death in people with multiple myeloma. Sigh.
    Your socks look very good. I'm going to go to a knitting circle here and maybe I can learn how to knit socks, without swearing too much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The issue here is that the vaccine is being denied and discouraged by the CDC under brain free direction by a Kennedy. Whether people use it or not, they should have universal access again.
      Gary is like that about his friends. He just got back from NYC doing work for relatives, and tomorrow he's driving to Virginia, nine hour round trip, to visit a friend in hospice care.

      Delete
    2. The US government is denying people access to the vaccine? Wow. Despicable.

      Delete
  2. I love those colours of sunset series. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky was spectacular yesterday, today shades of grey.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful sunset! And a warm Spring day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your so good at doing what you can on the internet
    I really believe you and others like you will be the saving of the usa
    Those sunsets are amazing.
    Mother Nature once again showing us who the real artist is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Every single US resident or overseas voter needs to do likewise. Numbers mean pressure means success.
      The sky was a rapid change over about an hour, different every time you looked.

      Delete
  5. 71 and assurances from Gary.
    Sounds like a good sort of day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sunset was amazing! Good captures of the changing colors.
    Yep, that bark definitely looks cherry. The lenticels look different on the mature bark. Your 9/11 daffodils are an annual inspiration and remembrance.
    I was amazed our comments at least temporarily stalled the ballroom. I'll comment on the Covid vaccine tomorrow, when I have time to put together a coherent thought.
    So glad to hear a Gary report, and that NADM will continue. He is a true friend.
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on your activist efforts. I hadn't heard of anyone I know contracting Covid of late, but then a friend told me she caught it from her mother a week or so ago. It is the first time she's caught it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glorious sunset photos. Nice that Gary will only be 20 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glorious skies, a sight to make the heart sing.
    It's good that Gary will not be far away - good friends are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's certainly a blessing if a demanding one

      Delete
  10. Red sky at night...
    Should be good weather today, according to the old sailor saying.
    If you get a good ID on that tree, let us know. I'm curious too.
    Gary is a rock star in his own Gary way, isn't he?
    So are you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Chris's comment above.
      He's definitely one of a kind.

      Delete
  11. Pretty sunset! What does NADM stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The evening skies have been breathtaking to see lately. and the winds a joy to my ears as the dry up all this spring mud. 'Tis the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours too? The earth's definitely on the move

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous sky. I'm so happy to hear we will still be seeing 'the tales of Gary"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful sunset!
    Glad Gary wants to keep in touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's like that, keeps people in his life no matter where they are.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. I think I'll keep these pictures. I don't save pix much but these are keepers.

      Delete
  16. Really beautiful photos. Wonderful colors on the knitting. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The knitting colors are a bit changed by the camera -- as usual reds come out more pink.

      Delete
  17. Hard to believe temps above 70 when it was just a few days ago you were inundated with snow.
    And....big news....I figured out the spiral sock (simple matter of just moving one stitch over to the next needle).
    So glad that Gary will still be 'the guy' after he moves. He's a keeper, if only for the NADM aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the spiral! I knew you would as soon as you got underway. Yes, there's no losing Gary!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!