Here's the banana bread recipe, from the Sunset book, 1984, with food stains, notes, and afterthoughts
The last one ought to be legible. I add in all kinds of whatever I have around. I often use walnuts, but some of this is going to a neighbor whose boy is allergic, so I omitted them. Doneness test is the usual prod with a skewer, nothing special.
The Tuesday knitting group was very lively, with all kinds of convo and projects, knitting, stick weaving, spool knitting, a toad, a resistance hat, a sweater, a shawl, socks, a band for a muff.
The last three pictures are in case you're interested in how that knitted shawl happened. The contrast color comes up at intervals and the knitter gets to be creative with it, so it looks like embroidery.
Convo ranged over art as therapy, language development, Noam Chomsky, splicing yarn,job seeking, nonbinary identity, pronouns, dyslexia, learning styles, PEI (yes, Marie!), and more. It was lighter than it sounds.
Home to a pot of tea, slice of pumpkin banana raisin bread and Textiles and Tea, with rigid heddle loom and inkle loom weaver, Gretchen Fancher























A co-winky-dink - my daughter's two young children baked two loaves of banana bread on Sunday, two different recipes to see whose was best. I will have to share your recipe with them!
ReplyDeleteWonderful to spend time with people with similar interests!
If they use the recipe, let me know how it goes.
DeleteSounds like a perfect St Pat's Day to me!
ReplyDeleteHe barely got a look in, so much going on.
DeleteThank you for posting the recipe. I had a very good healthy one from a healthy cook book that I can't find again. It used vegetable oil and dates instead of sugar. Sweet enough for me but always too dry.
ReplyDeleteWhat does gluten do in baking?
Never thought I'd see chomsky and knitting in the same post;)
Gluten is the elastic property in bread, developed by kneading. It creates the texture and avoids heaviness. Since the baguette recipe doesn't knead, just folds, I added in gluten because whole wheat flour can be a bit dense and needs lightening up. And it worked fine.
DeleteThe O'Brien genes being swamped by Lebanese and Scot, we completely overlooked St. Paddy's Day. I guess it's not too late, at least in our time zone.
ReplyDeleteI so appreciate you introducing us to all the terrific textile artists featured on T&T. Such variety, such talent!
Chris from Boise
There's no shortage of talent in fiber arts, and I like the chance to give them a boost.
Deletecake definitely first!
ReplyDeleteLove the inkle loom weaving, beautuful skilled work
Especially where she does card weaving on it, really complex work.
DeleteThat knitted shawl looks beautiful. The pink wool looks like embroidered flowers added on. Love it.
ReplyDeleteI have two bananas waiting for one more before I can make banana bread. I add nuts, coconut, and chocolate chips to mine.
I had an Irish granny as well, from county Cork:)
Have a lovely day.
You could sub sweet potato or squash for the third banana if you like to.
DeleteI think I will make some pumpkin bread as I found a can of pumpkin in the pantry! Thanks for the recipe...
ReplyDeleteIf it's unsweetened you might want to add r bit more sugar. Just a thought.
DeleteI still have my original banana bread recipe. It is actually for banana blueberry bread but of course, one can substitute, add, subtract...
ReplyDeleteIt's very good.
That's one thing I like about this recipe, the combination of ingredients you can use. Next time I use pumpkin, I think I'll add ginger.
DeleteAnd that will be good. I like adding ginger to my oat bran/apple muffins. Very good.
DeleteI was intrigued by that colour pooling yarn and then....then....I caught a glimpse of the price tag. Nope, not going there! (current price $51, not including shipping...and that's not even converted to Canadian dollars).
ReplyDeleteYes, not a frugal option! I made sure the price showed, so nobody got sticker shock if they ordered assuming it would be affordable. It's lovely though.
DeleteAn enjoyable and fulfilling day with like-minded people.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't get much better.
DeleteI don't remember the last time I made banana bread. Maybe I'll give this a try. Your Tuesdays are full and enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteThey're so good that Wednesdays are a bit tired.
DeleteWell that is an amazing afternoon.
ReplyDeleteThe bread sounds interesting I have never tasted those flavors together.
Cathy
They're good together. You might want to try it now the recipe is up.
DeleteAh, you've answered (in advance) my question of how that knitted shawl works! Such neat yarn. You know, I find great hope in people's creativity. My favorite banana bread recipe calls for roasting the bananas (325* for 20 mins) before mashing them. The rich, banana-forward sweetness is why (they say) the recipe requires less sugar (only 1/2 c). I like the loaf this recipe produces, hence it's been my favorite for several years! But now, I'm thinking that I should do a side-by-side ala Miss Merry's family -- roasting the bananas vs not, without changing any other variables in the process. The roasting is simple, but I like cutting out extra steps when possible.
ReplyDeleteLet us know how that goes. It's true, roasting unleashes great flavor. Similarly with sweet potato soup, roasted sweet potatoes improve it so much.
DeleteOh thank you for the recipe I appreciate it. What a fun knitting group. So many great project. Have a very nice day today.
ReplyDeleteI hope the recipe is one you can use, given the dietary restriction for your husband.
DeleteThat was a full day. Lots of cool knitting. And someone got a great deal with the freecycle.
ReplyDeleteTuesdays are packed with people and textiles.
Delete