I listen to several podcasts regularly, some because they're accurate news reporting, in the absence of balanced mass media coverage, some for other reasons.
One textile-related one is the great Haptic and Hue, created by Jo Andrews, a weaver and textile historian, a monthly event you can follow anywhere you find your podcasts. I use Spotify again, now that they've stopped running ICE job ads.
Today's episode is a moving account of textile scraps used to identify foundling babies in the eighteenth century.
The illustration is the general purpose one, not specific to this month's episode.
And it's Misfits day, rainy, not fun for the driver, Jeff.
Here he is, a bit wet, unloading cheerfully. I notice the van is scraped and dented all along this side, maybe a casualty of icy weather.
There was a great price on strawberries so I stocked up, one for the fridge for smoothies and sauce, note the sugar there, that's why, two for the freezer, maybe frozen dessert, who knows.
Cans to share with the food pantry, I have a heavy bag to take in, must get onto it, Bananaz for breakfasts and smoothies.
Flour, finally, so I can bake bread, no whole wheat available but I have some to mix in, and I'm planning on baguettes, from Baking on a Budget.
Yogurt, my staple, with fruit, blueberries or strawberries, no other veggies because I have various greens in the freezer.
I'm well stocked now. I'm planning on red lentil tofu, already have supplies, including the soy sauce and ketchup I got recently.
And I have rice, which I keep forgetting to use. With tofu cubes and green vegetables, and a sauce, that's an easy meal or two. Next week there will be shrimp and tuna. I seem to have lost my taste for chicken just now but there's plenty of protein in my plans.
This afternoon is about listening to rain and reading
Which I've been awaiting for ages, an epistolary novel by an old woman corresponding with various people.
That's about all I know of it, except that I like the epistolary, letter, form a lot, love reading between the lines.
My favorite part of Sayers' Busman's Honeymoon is the opening chapter of letters, full of different perceptions of Harriet and Peter's wedding.
I have high hopes for this first novel which made a hit.
Speaking of hits, Ursula (means little bear) one of the upstairs bears, with Pink Rabbit, found out about Pony. Nothing would satisfy her but to have a ride.
Pony's a nice character and was quite happy to meet someone smaller, because she's feeling a bit towered over by the downstairs bears.
So the result was a ride. And maybe a permanent home with Ted, Big Ursy and Pony, sporting pussy hats
On a serious note, here's an explainer about why many women prefer the bear. In real life.
Happy day everyone, speak up!
Still there, still fighting
I only purchase King Arthur flour. They're based across the river in Vermont.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking I should put my name on the Libby hold list for The Correspondent. I've always loved the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was all by letters.
I loved that book,too, ages since I read it. I was about number 257 when I started waiting for this one. Then I think they acquired a lot of extra electronic copies, and suddenly it arrived. It's good up to now.
DeleteGood morning - catching up here - have now learned what cavatappi was! The bear meme is very well put. Book looks very interesting.
ReplyDeleteCaveat app is one of my favorite pasta shapes, interesting to eat. Yes, the explainer is pretty clear.
DeleteStupid bully text! I said cavatappi!
DeleteIt shall hereafter be known as caveat appi - and I shall find something suitable to put with it perhaps this week.
DeleteIt’s funny that you mentioned Ursula, because I saw it the other day on poldark.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something?
I hope the rain stops for you. I’m sure your all muddy outside now.
Meanwhile if you can send it this way. We need more of it.
We have excellent drainage -- alluvial soil just beyond where the glacier stopped in prehistory. So even with heavy rain it's not very muddy. No standing water. Just a few miles away is the rocky terrain of the glacier edge. They tend to flood, hard for rain to run off.
DeleteThe explainer seems so obvious and yet people just don’t get it. Haptic and Hues sounds fascinating. I’m sure I’ve read a mystery or two where abandoned children were connected to families based on the textiles they were wrapped in. Still abandoned, though.
ReplyDeleteThis history is amazing, of mothers who had to surrender newborns, couldn't feed them, too poor, but they could attach a scrap of fabric to the baby's dress and keep part of it as an identifier in case they were able to reclaim the baby. It was proof of a kind. Very rarely a mother was able to come back. Many babies died in infancy at that period, even with foundling hospital care.
DeleteI forgot to say, yes, obvious to you about male behavior, but you're very evolved. A lot of men not so much.
DeleteDitto what Marcia said, and here our Libby has 7 people waiting for each of (shucks it no longer gives the numbers since I clicked to put it on hold) many copies...and several months before The Correspondent will be available, even as audio, which usually is faster than the on-line reading version. I agree about the hidden misogyny, which men think nothing of. Maybe eventually...
ReplyDeleteIt's a popular book, but as far as I've got with it, worth the wait. Men often think it's enough not to actually be insulting. Standing silent is just as bad.
DeleteAccurate meme. Reminds me of the one I saw recently which said "The USA men's hockey team made it abundantly clear that no man will stand up for women in a room full of men."
ReplyDeleteYes, scared of being a target in their turn.
DeleteIt's been rainy here, too, but I tell myself it is good for the grass. Had a good workout at Zumba class today so my step count is adding up today!
ReplyDeleteI'm familiar with that good for the grass despairing cry!
DeleteI'm swiping "that 'good for the grass' despairing cry" for all my eastern friends-and-relatives. Chris from Boise
DeletePlease do! It wears a bit thin after a few days..I imagine people in the dry West would give a lot to have it.
DeleteAt least bears don't hit on you, or give you the creeps, or harass you with unwanted sexual innuendo, or rape you. I would take a bear over a strange man in the woods any day.
ReplyDeleteSadly, this is the experience of so many women.
DeleteThat bit about most men are all the same rings true, but I think mostly for the older generation, hopefully the current and upcoming generations does better.
ReplyDeleteI always hope, but then there's the US hockey team.
ReplyDeleteIt's all about The He-Man Woman Hater's Club which was a thing in the Little Rascals. Even then it was supposed to be obvious that the little boys who were in the club were quite easily lured away from the precept by one little loving glance from Darla and yet- why was it a part of the culture anyway? Because of course it was. It's so complicated and so far from being eliminated.
ReplyDeleteNot sure I'd ever heard about the pinning of a scrap of fabric to an abandoned baby for future identification. What a sad thought.
The whole era of foundlings is a sad one. Usually they were newborn, to a mother who simply could not feed one more mouth. But they were loving enough to bring the baby to a foundling hospital, dressed and with the scrap of some textile as identifier. Once in a long while a mother could come back years later and reclaim her child. To this day we have abandoned newborns. It's an old story.
DeletePerhaps one of the oldest and without a doubt, one of the very saddest.
DeleteI gather some idiot has declared that man should be head of the household, as advised in the Bible, and that women should stay at home and have babies. Give me strength!
ReplyDeleteI wonder how that man feels when he has to support the family in an era when two incomes are usually needed just to get by.
DeleteOh my - that meme about men is, I suspect, spot on. The same could be said of all of us when it comes to looking away and not wanting to rock the proverbial boat over so many issues, political notwithstanding.
ReplyDeleteI just finished reading 'The Bookbinder's Secret' by AD Bell - you might like it.
Thanks for the book idea. I'll check into it. I certainly agree that it's important for us all to speak up, about inappropriate language or references to other groups. Easier to let it go fearing an angry response, but it's important to call out what's not right.
DeleteI'm going to put this book in the Libby holds . Sounds like I'll be waiting a while. I am all too aware of male complicity. It seems to be rearing up, although it has never been eliminated.
ReplyDeleteIt's coming back bigtime because leadership has given permission. Including young men, surprisingly.
DeleteI think the book's worth waiting for.
Nice haul on the strawberries. Great meme about men. Have a nice weekend.
ReplyDeleteI now have plenty of strawberries, hulled and frozen in small amounts, just right for sauce or smoothies. They were right on the brink but still edible and none needed to be discarded. I can see why they wanted to move them out quickly.
DeleteThe joke thing reminds me of the US hokey team.
ReplyDeleteA typo that really did some heavy lifting!
DeleteI've now ordered The Correspondent from the library.
ReplyDeleteLet us know what you think, when you get to read it.
Delete