Monday, August 23, 2021

The waters recede

The floodwaters are slowly receding. Trees down, still many roads closed or only one lane open. I did get one errand done, to the local CVS which actually had the things I needed. 

I didn't try for the library, since too many roads either partly or totally under water. My needs can wait a day or two. People are trying to get to work.

This morning as I was making tea I glanced out of the kitchen window and there was a hummingbird busy in the Russian sage. It didn't have a twig in its beak, but it still seemed quite biblical and cheering. Closest hummingbird sighting I've ever had.

And the robe is done. I will gradually do seam finishing on the inside, probably flat hemming  lace, since the terry is too thick for felling or French seaming.

Anyway here she is! See how the pockets work. So it's ready in case the weather ever gets cool. This is a much better use of the fabric than a quilt backing that might never happen.

And the beaded figure almost has a completed head, 

seen here in the workbox. The facial expression looks different depending on what angle you see it from. 

Then I needed a bite for supper and haven't had pasta in a while. Didn't feel like a red sauce, so I thought something along the lines of an alfredo white sauce might be good.

Many subs of course. I fancied blue cheese rather than parmesan, didn't have cream, used whole milk, but I did have garlic and Irish butter and parsley. No fettuccine, but I fancied farfalle anyway, butterflies. Or bowties. These are the real Italian ones from Misfits. 

It turned out well. This pasta needs 14 minutes' boiling, they weren't kidding. The sauce is lovely, garlicky, pungently blue cheesey. Thick enough to cling.

Didn't last long. This used all the sauce, and there's another bowl of cooked pasta ready for a different sauce on a different day.

Here's what's accompanying my beading and cooking, audiobook


And my Austen festival is still going, on Kindle, Lucy Worsley

Stacey Abrams finally arrived on the Kindle

Waiting pick-up at the library are the Sonya Philips sewing book, and DVDs of  Grace and Frankie, 

only just heard of the series, yes, not quick on these things, thought I'd try. Because Lily Tomlin, you know. I can't bear her co-star, so we'll see. But there's also Sam Waterston, so there's that.

I think we're all set here.

9 comments:

  1. Good things in the works there. Glad you were safe during the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear the floodwaters are receding. Whenever we have weather problems such as that I am grateful to be retired and not have to go out every day! Your robe is lovely and will be quite cozy when the cooler weather arrives. The doll head is looking good too. You've got a nice assortment of reading available to enjoy. I watched the first few episodes of Grace and Frankie and thought they were funny but I never got into it enough to watch the whole series. I may go back and try again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen Season 1 of Grace and Frankie, so I've got a lot of catching up there to do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t watched Grace and Frankie but my friend loves it. Your robe looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The robe is a work of cozy-art! Hurray! And the beaded head is a work of magical art. If you ask me.
    I have written about my feelings re: Grace and Frankie. I started out like you- not liking Jane so much but my feelings about her have changed as the seasons have gone on. I appreciate her acting quite a bit more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So there's hope for Jane. Good to know. I still haven't recovered from her doing the tomahawk chop with then husband at his team's game, on video, then lying about it when it became unfashionable.

      Delete
  6. I came to G&F knowing little about either woman. I am impressed not only by the acting, but by their deep and abiding friendship, seen on so many specials and talk shows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to thank you for the David Rosenfelt recommendation - just finished reading 'Hounded' from the library and already have another one on hold. I've also enjoyed reading 'The Spyglass File' by Nathan Dylan Goodwin - he does a series on forensic genealogy.
    Your robe looks like a perfect thing for the cooler weather and I'm sure it will get a lot of use.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!