Friday, August 20, 2021

A bit of a spin, into pocket, and history

Yesterday I did the All Creatures Great and Small matinee, first two episodes. I can't watch longer than that without getting in a blur. I have the whole season to watch.

I really like very much the casting. They acknowledge the vet's a Scot, give Glasgow vet college its due, and the characters talk like people, not like quaint old parties.  And Helen sounds local, not like a poncy London visitor. These are huge improvements on the sadly classist original production.

But the location is further west in the Dales, not the most beautiful part where the original was filmed. It's still lovely but you can do better, on where I lived, Gribdale, now in the North York Moors National Park. Then it was just where we lived!

The first painting I ever exhibited, and the only artwork I've ever declined to sell, is this


It's the view from the back of our house, across the moor with Roseberry Topping sticking up there in the distance. I climbed this when I was three. It's just under mountain height, family day climb, walk from the house, up the hill, down, walk home. 

I remember my Dad putting down his handkerchief for me to scramble up on my knees, so tired. White handkerchief against green mosses and lichens. My Mom told me in later years that when we got home, I was too tired to get my foot over the step.

The painting, you'll noticed, has a very low eye view, close to the ground. That's because I painted from the memory of being about three. I saw everything like that, as little kids do. Small rises in the foreground loom like little hills.

The far view is the Cleveland Hills, the mental framework I carry permanently. The shapes get into my art all over, wherever there are sinuous lines. Even in the silver-work of the art doll. So much more, but another time.

This is a couple of dales, valleys, east from the setting of the first All Creatures, from which a lot of the scenes were familiar to me. Not so much with the new production. 

But it's okay. It's so much better in ways that matter to my social little heart.

Then I got on making the pockets for the Useful Robe, with notches to echo the neckline. I need to try on, to situate them right before I attach them.

And even though it was getting late, I just had to try spinning a bit of that merino silk, and it feels wonderful, fine but strong, slides along. Oh, a pome!

Good day. Listening to an Andy Carpenter while I worked.


14 comments:

  1. Never seen wither production. I don't watch much TV. got out of the habit decades ago because the husband is a channel surfer. everytime I would start to get interested ,flip, it would change. I've only put my foot down three times and claimed the TV to watch a particular show season after season.

    I like your painting. I tried my hand at painting but it just wasn't for me, didn't grab me but I still have two, the best of a poor lot. one is of some leaves from a shrub that grew outside my grandmother's house and the other is from a photograph I took of a rare fall day, tree branches with yellow leaves against a blue sky with a puffy white cloud. I rather like that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to try every art form you fancy. I keep on doing it!

      Delete
  2. Lovely painting.
    The new All Creatures Great and Small took getting use to. I like the cast, and the less grumpy brother character this time around. Both are good actors, but the new one doesn't feel as negative as the original. I find myself viewing old shows with a different attitude, like why d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words.
      I like the acting much better. The old Siegfried was wildly overacting the whole time, not believable. This one, while playing him equally difficult, is much more sensitive to the character.

      Delete
  3. I've never watched any of the All Creatures. I believe I may have read one of the books. The original?
    You have such an artist's eye. Always have, I see now. The things that made an impression on you then have remained as part of your world-view and definitely inform your art. So amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're either born like that or you're not. I don't believe you can learn this kind of seeing. Anyway I'm very glad of it, for the texture it adds to life.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the glimpse into your childhood surroundings. Beautiful country, especially from a three year old's perspective. I bet you were indeed tired from that first hike - and I can see why you've been a walker ever since.

    We've read (with great pleasure) all James Herriott's books, but have not been inclined to exchange the images in our minds for the images on a screen.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the concern once you've established the characters in your mind, that the visual might not work for you.

      Delete
    2. Also - tried my hand at maceration this evening, for a blackberry crumble. Wow! Thanks for the recent tips!

      CfB

      Delete
    3. Good, huh? Definitely worth the extra bit of trouble. I'm glad you tried it.

      Delete
  5. I read all the All Creatures books, and then a biography of Herriot, by his son, I believe. I was besotted by the book's characters, but had difficulty relating to the television production. I must give the new one a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like the new one. It's much more respectful of the Yorkshire farmers than the first production which treated them like quaint comic characters. The books are very respectful of their abilities and grit.

      Delete
  6. One day I might manage to accomplish that sort of sky in fabric, something to aspire to. Now I'm hopeful I can convince Resident Chef to seek out that series. We've both read the books (me, several times over) so I'd love to see the live version of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished watching the first season. The second one isn't made yet. I really liked it. It took some liberties with the plot but it was well done. I'd have liked more Mrs Pumphrey, played by Diana Rigg. In the second season she's played by Patricia Hodge, whom I really like. like Rigg, she's beautiful as well as a terrific actress.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!