Thursday, August 12, 2021

Gown moving along, homage to Eloise Greenfield, beads ahoy!

Before anything, today I read that Eloise Greenfield died. At the age of 92. She was a groundbreaking poet, writer for children, warrior for the African American child's literary rights and for rap. 

And she always insisted her many books be illustrated by African American artists. Who better, she reasoned, to understand and depict the nuance in what she was saying about her characters? I particularly love attention being paid to illustrators and her respect for them.

So in her honor I read this wonderful book right away. Written for children, valuable for everyone.

It's a charming story of a puppy who's a poet. Or maybe a poet who's a puppy.



I knew little of her before today, not being knowledgeable about children's literature, though now and then I do get into picture books. I'm going to read more by her.

Back to humbler tasks. Namely the useful gown. So here's the neck-facing cut out, fitted, stitched in place, turned inside and the right side top stitched all around.


I'm quite pleased with this.


Frog if I decide on it. But I think the neckline is enough without the added touch.

Now I can do something else. I'll continue the finishing of the gown in stages. It won't take long. And now I'm thinking of pocket details that echo the neckline, that little vertical slash. Hmm.

So, on with other things, out came the beads and remembering the pleasure of choosing picking them up with the needle and anchoring them, dropping them, collecting them on a spoon, encountering the occasional one that's too small inside to pass over the needle's eye. And I started the new doll's head. 

I'll combine sculpting with beading, and see if that works. 



She/he will have a head, and maybe more, encrusted with beads in rivers of color. And the multicolored hair I mentioned earlier.  That's the plan anyway.  Barely begun but I wanted to show you the very beginning. Things could change. But the Helpless Prawn is  liking this start.


.


11 comments:

  1. You go, Hapless Prawn! This is exciting!!

    Chris from Boise

    PS I must look up Eloise Greenfield's work. And the neckline of the useful gown/robe looks quite dashing, with frog (which adds a nice splash of color) or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helpless, in fact, but hapless works too! I think you'll like Eloise Greenfield

      Delete
    2. Better Hapless or Helpless than Hopeless!

      CfB

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about the death of Eloise Greenfield. I am not familiar with her work but I will look it up. I love children's authors for they possess the talent of expressing important principles in a positive and simple manner. I think more adults should read some of these authors. We might learn something!

    I like the vertical slash on the neckline of the robe, with or without the frog. The start of the beading looks good. I'm looking forward to how this continues! I love your description of handling the needle and the beads. It took me back to the days when I did some beading. I do remember those beads with an opening too small for the eye of the needle. A lesson in patience!



    ReplyDelete
  3. The neckline is beautiful as it is.

    I look forward to seeing your next creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a swift hand-sewer!
    I can't wait to see who the fancy beaded doll becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what the latest doll tells you she wants to become. Beads are always fun. For beading, I've found that an empty CD case fitted with a piece of velvet is an ideal tool - just put some beads onto the velvet and they're easier to pick up with the needle...and then when you're finished for the day, close up the case and walk away. Virtually spill proof too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. If you have any cases of that kind.
      However these beads come in strings and you don't spill them out except by accident. I'm transferring them by needle, off the string, onto my threaded needle, in small groups, to the surface then anchoring them. My skills are a bit rusty, though, hence a bit of spillage.

      Delete
  6. oooo, two different colored eyes. I dated a guy for a while that had one blue eye and one brown eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The neckline on that "utility" gown is perfectly stated, perfectly executed. As lovely as if my grandmother did it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!