Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sunday morning

Breakfast in bed. Hot tea from flask, fruit stuffed pita. White nectarine. 


And here's Richard Rohr's Sunday meditation. This is so exactly right for how art happens. Every word is how it goes. 


I don't need to add anything, except Go, Richard!

Yesterday's beading went till late, when tired eyes made me stop. I love the physical picking up of the beads in a string, watching them move into place when I draw on the thread. 




I'm very much liking the untamed look that's emerging. I should probably refer to it as a beaded figure rather than a doll. The language seems to push the notion of toy, not what this is at all.


This kind of work is like painting with beads, each bead in the needle a brush stroke  decision, going back in with a different color here and there, backing off to see better. Learning all the time. Letting it tell me what's next.

The head is getting more solid in my hand with the considerable weight of the glass beads. 

I'm beginning to see how the body will go. The head has a way to go yet. And I'll need to allow for the weight as I attach the body so the head stays upright. Probably a fine dowel or skewer will work.

Happy worker here, looking forward to more.

8 comments:

  1. it's starting to look rather mesoamerican now as opposed to carnival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word "reina" occurs to me here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I typed "interesting comments". Autocorrect decided otherwise. I deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your word, "untamed". And yet it's clearly a face. I've looked back to see what I missed. I enjoy entering into your process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. For years people asked me to document progress but it wasn't possible when I was working in other art forms. Now that I can, I do. I'm glad you're liking it.

      Delete
  6. I was going to suggest the addition of a 'spine' into the doll because the beads are going to make her top heavy but I see you've already thought of that. I've been known to use a pencil for that purpose. Gives a bit more 'rigor' to it than what a skewer might.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my dolls/figures are wired or skewered or otherwise supported. They're not toys, so they need to pose and be securely constructed. There's a certain amount of engineering in art figures, but I downplay it, not the most interesting aspect to the onlooker. But if asked, I'll get into it, gladly!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!