Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Cornoatbread and Adventures Under the Sink

Yesterday went a little differently than planned. The exercise was fine. I did the first fifteen minutes, rested the last five. It's pretty strenuous, though I did drop down to 5lb weights from my usual 8lb, in deference to the interval since I last used them.

Note to self: adjust the video speed a bit to slow down till you get used to the routine. And don't spend time getting the rarely-used laptop working again, what with updates, hangups, freezing, and generally acting like a cat when you come home after a trip. The phone set on the music stand is fine.

And I tried cornbread using oat flour in place of the whole wheat I've used up.



It tastes fine, needed a few more minutes baking and is tenderer than with wheat flour. I think maybe because no gluten. I might add a pinch of wheat gluten next time.




 But it's certainly a Good Thing.

After that things went a bit south. Cleaning up dishes after baking,  I switched on the disposall, mainly to speed up the sink draining, and it just hummed back at me. This means it's live, but not working, like a household hanger-on.

So  I did the usual first step, try to push the blade in a circle using the handle of a big wooden spoon. Usually something lodged under the blade can be moved on this way.

No joy. So I located the little red button under the unit, pressed. Nothing happened, no reset. Big sigh. Now to find the Allen wrench and remember what to do next.


Top right-hand, recalcitrant Badger, bottom center Allen wrench.

 One YouTube assist later, and a scrabble around in the Drawer of Stuff You Might Need Sometime yielded the wrench. Then a  search  in the bathroom for a hand mirror, unit being near the floor, and the operative works being situated at the bottom of it.

 Finally wrench  thing inserted, in the middle of the doings, and turned,  and I got the blade moving from underneath. Both ways, essential to make sure it's unjammed.



This is exciting work, done lying on the floor, and through a mirror. See white mirror frame.  Gives your brain a workout. They should recommend it as a deterrent to Altzheimers, like those puzzles. More useful too.

Switched on  Bingo. Working. Triumphant  Blast of Trumpets.

Celebratory pot of tea, slice of cornoatbread. Nice liedown.


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Unexpectedly so. All was well in the end.

      Delete
  2. The cup of tea and the lie down bit is essential :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting that disposall working! I wouldn't even have tried.
    I have a disoposall too- but in my case, it called "my chickens."
    Your cornoatbread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never put food in it. I just use it to keep the pipes clear. It's one of those things that came with the house. Very handy, if you add vinegar and baking soda, to scrub the water pipe. I wouldn't mind chickens, but the HOA wouldn't like it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my word - the never-ending adventures of our Boud, who never has a dull moment! You were definitely deserving of that cuppa and the lie down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's wise to frame events like this as adventures. Otherwise I would get pretty down. I have to be my own handyperson, nobody else here. But, as you see, I had nobody second guessing me, either! So there's that.

      Delete
  5. Its the lying down bit that gets to me. If it was me, I would have trouble getting vertical again. Is it your "strong women" exercises paying off ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so. There was some pathetic moaning as I got up, but I got there. No aftereffects.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!