Thursday, April 23, 2020

Power outage, but we are not dismayed

Messages from various folks, HOA, power company, son in different development, power out locally. Not weather, someone brought down a pole on the nearest main road. Pitch dark.

So I hauled out the battery lantern my neighbor made me have last time there was an outage. And the LED flashlight likewise.

And thought what did lighthouses do when they had a small light they needed to create a big beam from..aha, mirrors, magnifiers. Forward the full page magnifier.



Propped it up, and it definitely works. I am woman, hear me roar! Power's back now only out an hour in the end. I must think about a mirror setup in addition, for future reference.

Meanwhile neighbor had come over to see was I in the dark, make sure I'd found the lantern etc, good guy. I didn't tell him about the magnifier idea. He'd have narrowed his eyes estimating whether it was one of my jokes that he doesn't get.

 But once again I found another purpose for the magnifier. I like everything around me to be capable of  at least two functions if not more.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just happened to have the magnifier right there. Juxtaposition, the mother of invention!

      Delete
  2. You are a smart woman! No doubt about it.
    I think I am now capable of about three functions. Thank god cooking is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good to me. You're a hen wrangler, too. And a gardener. And a pretty good botanist. And writer. There's four without even thinking about it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Wonder how many people were singing along to My father was the keeper of the Eddystone Light
      And lived with a mermaid all his life etc etc.

      Delete
    2. That's a slightly less adult lyric than the one Burl Ives used to sing.

      Delete
  4. Excellent idea! I shall have to file it away for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very satisfying :)
    During a power outage I sometimes place my small mirror behind a candle, on a very high shelf (because Moxie and Della). But mostly I just go to bed when it gets dark. Which I pretty much do anyway. The big difference is no audiobooks to fall asleep to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the quiet when the powers out, not that it often is. No appliances, TV's from neighbors, surprising how much background noise there is in a development. Don't notice it till it stops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Necessity is the Boud of invention (to paraphrase).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!