Friday, April 24, 2020

Potato musing

Handsome Shopper included some large very good white potatoes in my haul this week. And what with the flour question (on which I've kindly been offered a lifeline) I've been thinking potato bread.

It uses some flour, but the mashed potato is a good partner. Then I started reading recipes.  Folks, I wanted a quick bready thing, not a part time job. So many floofy, fancy, gadgety ideas involving equipment. I had planned on a bowl and a fork. And half a page of ingredients, way beyond potatoes and flour.

So I thought I would postpone the bread and just make a nice supper. Microwaved one big spud 9 minutes, peeled and mashed it.  Really nice texture.

 Chunk of butter, swoop of warm milk, salt, pepper, egg, grated Italian cheese of some kind, flour to bind it -- could have used more, next time, then -- frozen chives snipped in. Would have been fresh chives but that would have involved getting wet. Raining all day.

Rolled the cakes I shaped with a  spoon in the last of the Italian breadcrumbs, sauteed in cast iron pan till all hot and sizzly, fan on to avert a smoke alarm excitement.



 Three meals (eight cakes) from one spud. Maybe with an omelet or bit of fish or something.

Another time I'll see  about potato bread.

Meanwhile this is fine. No need to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

13 comments:

  1. Great idea. Nice to have something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Your meals are always an inspiration.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe is a nice change. I'll try it today.
    Chives are the smallest bit of green in the container on the deck. This year, I will freeze some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that saying. "No need to let the perfect be the enemy of the good."
    Sometimes good is simply perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was experimenting with potatoes the other day as I have a lot spouting eyes. Still edible but I really need to use them up. I decided to make hash browns (a la McDonald's type) but baked and not fried in oil. I had lots of help...too much...as it involved grating potatoes with a TFal electric grater thing I was given years ago. I think the son and husband must be really bored LOL Anyway they were edible but need a rethink re binding agents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Potatoes are a bit unpredictable. Varying degrees of water content, texture, all that. But has browns are worth trying again.

      You might consider putting one eyed potato in a large container of potting soil. I do this each spring and get a nice dish of new potatoes a few weeks later. Very satisfying.I don't bother cutting the eyes and planting them separately, just shove the whole spud in. Keep it well covered so it doesn't get inedible green areas. It tends to heave up after rain.

      Delete
  6. I had to laugh out loud at "Folks, I wanted a quick bready thing, not a part time job." Seeing the picture before popping in here, I expected you had made fried potato cakes - and was excited at the thought. Though potato bread sounds good, too. Your potato cakes look yummy and now you've got me hungry for some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll make the bread. But for now, potato cakes are fine. With, of course, tonnato sauce on top.

      Delete
  7. Potato cakes - haven't had those in ages. Must put a bug in the ear of Resident Chef. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reporting that they're firmer on the second day. So the mixture was fune after all. And tonnato sauce is very good with them.

      Delete
  8. Those sound good. Do they freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried, but I expect so. A lot of surprising things do.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!