Sunday, April 26, 2020

Stretching, crackers and stretching crackers.

Today I'm reporting on my exercise progress. I have been faithfully doing a 20 or 30 minute program every other day. Not daily, because it involves weights, and it's better to give your muscles and joints at least a day to get the benefit.

 And today I think I need to make it every third day. Just need more recovery time. The reason I remember to do it is that I set an alert to go boingggg half an hour ahead.

So I'm redoing the boingggg thing. Very content with my level though, no aches and that, just tiredness that means more rest is rx.  The exercise is about maintaining strength, but the daily, when it doesn't rain, walking, is about stamina. We all need as much of both as we can handle right now. And mental stability is a side effect of movement.

Then during a distance convo yesterday with neighbors, one of whom is a great cook, about this and that,  while they were outside in the sunshine  painting doors on sawhorses (don't ask), the subject of crackers came up.

How you can make them at home. And know what's in them. No preservatives. So today I thought, hmm. I've made them with whole-wheat flour in the past. That was in the olden days when you could just go to the store and get whole-wheat flour. Any time!

Now I have my precious smaller supplies of flour I can grind, and ap. So I figured I'd try making them with ap flour. Brand I'd never used before, so it might need adjustments.

So here's the cast of characters


Olive oil, water flour, seeds, seasalt.

I adapted a recipe from Caroline Cooks, an online website.

I got about four dozen crackers out of one cup of flour, not bad. Made two batches, and found I needed to add water, a tsp at a time, to get a kneadable pastry. her recipe needs a food processor, so that might make a difference. And she used another flour.

I fancied adding seeds, another recipe, and made a mix of caraway, fennel, mustard and celery. If you're a person who can't navigate seeds because of dental architecture, skip the seeds. But I like them a lot.


 Before adding extra water


 After extra water.

You rest it after kneading. Or maybe it's the baker who needs to rest. Then divide in two and roll out separately.



Batch one done


Batch two ready to bake


And done.

The first batch I tried pressing the seeds in, following instructions, with limited success. So the second batch I rolled the seeds in as  I went. Much better. More in the dough, fewer on the floor and the baker.

Also I had to add a couple of minutes to the baking time, for batch one, then even another extra minute for batch two, to get crispness.

Crime scene. The pizza cutter is to cut out the crackers.


When you cook and blog, the cleanup also includes the phone screen.


It all came out happily. See soup and cracker lunch. Soup is tomato, pink bean, carrot and various spices.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for providing a video tutorial, Liz. I'm sorry you can't locally find the flour you'd normally use, but I'm enjoying your experiments. I'm getting the impression that you are too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's interesting to try new ideas. It's fine to extend your repertoire.

      Delete
  2. LOVE IT! And that's what I do as well. I roll mine in. It works so well and what a bunch of goodness on a cracker. Or, even mixed in the dough itself. Go you! Happy eating and boogie boogie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran a few next door to taste. They went down well. Yes, rolling seeds in worked better. I could see grating sharp cheddar into this mix for cheese straws.

      Delete
  3. I need to try making crackers. I've actually been thinking about that recently...
    Those look tremendously good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very satisfying to find you can definitely make something that usually seems to be something you have to buy. And they're simple. There are recipes that make it more complex than it needs to be. This one's easy.

      Delete
  4. Those look lovely. I wish you could give me a hug too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea making crackers! They look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crackers haven't been tried here - yet. Must put a bug in Resident Chef's ear and see if some might be forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He makes a lot of soup, do this might be a natural.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!