Sunday, April 5, 2020

Mask making 101

Here's the first, possibly the
only, mask..

I used bias tape for ties, not wanting loops around my ears, enough trouble with glasses, ears can only take so much.


Front

The bendy bit at the top is to shape it over your nose, to fit and to avoid fogging up your glasses. I used two pipe cleaners which I whipped together before stitching a casing under them to keep them in place.


Back

See pocket into which I guess you can put a filter. I had thought of a piece of interfacing, but now I wonder.


On me


And here's the famous neurosurgeon after a successful day's work. At least I play one in my blog.

I've tried wearing it and it's really warm, that exhaled breath. The idea is to use closely woven fabric like this, at least two layers. Maybe you get used to it. But I don't think  I'll add in the interfacing.

It's not a lot of sewing. I did it by hand in maybe a bit over an hour, not rushing.

So I have it. For wearing, on the offchance I go anywhere.


12 comments:

  1. I have been wishing with all of my heart that I had some pipe cleaners. That's an excellent mask! And you wear it very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your husband the car guy had some sturdy wire? Or you have bread ties? Electrician's covered wire? The pipe cleaners were very handy though.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a good job. You’re all set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mask looks great,Liz. You look like a surgeon, indeed! I really like that fabric, too! I wore mine out today on an errand. It was weird, but I tried to "own" it. I didn't encounter any other mask wearers today, so I'm fancying myself a trend-setter. First time in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel a bit shy about it, few mask wearers other than in stores. But if I see it as being a trend setter, that might be a way to go.

      Delete
  4. Very fetching in the way of mask wear I must say. I haven't been putting any sort of wire in the masks I've been making - I read somewhere that in the sanitizing/washing process it tends to rust. Besides my stash doesn't have much in the way of wire or pipe cleaners for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the rust issue was second to avoiding fogged up glasses! But the wire is covered in chenille, then I whipped it end to end with white polyester thread, so we'll see how it goes. I'm going out so little that it's not too pressing!

      Delete
  5. Nice job, very fetching. Are you still doing your walks? This would be good for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, daily walks as always. I'm thinking it would be a good pollen mask.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!