Monday, April 20, 2020

Mills grinding fairly fine

Since I can't get flour at the moment, one helpful shopper neighbor called asking if flour gluten was flour, it came in just small boxes? Answer: no, it's an ingredient you add to your flour. Other kind shopper asking if cornmeal is like whole-wheat flour, well, no, it's more of a partner, really. These are good cooks but don't bake.

Upshot: no flour.

Nearly at the end of my supply of whole-wheat, not much ap, so I got to work thinking about substitutions.




I've used oat flour in crumbles but not in breads, so here's a thought.





 And why not make rice flour while we're at it.

The coffee grinder is one of the most useful items in the kitchen. It doesn't reduce rice the way a grinding mill would, it's gritty, like chickpea or lentil flour processed at home this way. But oatmeal reduces fine, likewise spices.

I expect to have to add vital wheat gluten to oats or rice, because they don't have gluten,  in order to make bread, but I should think baking powder would work if you're using it for cakes or pancakes.

 The low or gluten free quality of oats, rice, corn, etc, matters to gluten-sensitive people, who probably have this all thought out already.  I should probably follow up that line of research next, to find alternate flours.

Stay tuned for interesting experiments. And let's hope supplies of oatmeal and brown rice hold up.

13 comments:

  1. Almond "flour" seems to be very popular too. If you can find oat bran, that makes fine muffins and probably a sort of bread as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made almond flour at home; it's a bit expensive. Good for now and then. Good tip on oat bran, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Whenever I make bread I use half bread four, half whole wheat flour and big handful of porridge oats! And any other seeds and bran etc, whatever i have to make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No flour available right now. But normally
      I like a mix of whole-wheat and oats, too. With caraway seeds or fennel seeds. Maybe a bit of ap. One day it will return!

      Delete
  3. I see lentil pasta in the stores now. It has to be better than corn meal pasta as a spaghetti substitute. Corn meal pasta is good, but not with spaghetti sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much pasta these days, but I do like the old fashioned stuff, whatever it's made of. I have some pasta flour in the freezer, come to think of it. I think it's semolina.

      Delete
  4. I am curious as to how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is it or do you know yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky to come across a big bag of AP flour a couple of weeks ago. Good to have - but there's no yeast so had to buy a case of beer and use that as an alternative. Not bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pretty imaginative substitution!

      Delete
    2. We don't drink the stuff, but it's good in bread...who knew?

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!