Monday, April 20, 2020

Breakfast in bed, chair exercises

If you spot a theme here, you're right.

Lazy life right now. Breakfast was very early, son's morning text before leaving for work came at 5.30.   So I thought to myself, self, I thought, breakfast in bed this morning. Buttered toast, pot of tea.



 That pot holds about a cup and a half of the matching mug. Like a big breakfast cup.

The tray, sheet iron, was a very good street find. It had been put out for the recycle, rejected by them, not tin nor aluminum, so it came home with me. This is a high end find -- in a gutter in what the media calls affluent western Princeton! Only the best.

It had a horrible faux colonial decoration, so I applied one of my all purpose remedies -- sprayed it white. I like it because it's big enough for everything you need.

And when I get up, plans include playing music, making a bit of art, possibly finishing up an Izzy doll or two, but let's not get carried away here, and a new exercise program I just found.



I've been a slacker on my weight training for a while, and this is interesting stuff, to get back into it.  I've been doing weights pretty steadily for over twenty years, and I'm pretty sure it's helped me avoid joint pain, stiffness, and other ills.

 It also makes a person feel stronger and more capable in all kinds of ways. So I'm going to give this program a try. It's HASfit on YouTube. And it's done in a chair, gentle theme today.

 If you're limited in mobility, this shows adaptations, and the recommendation came from a Twitter friend who has severe physical limitation and pain, and finds this approach doable. 

You just do what you can. A friend of mine after her husband died, wanted to get back some fitness, after a long period of stress and caregiving, so she consulted a personal trainer.

 They did a preliminary session to establish her current level, at the end of which the trainer said, well, about your core. You haven't used it in years!  So they started by finding it. I think she's using it now.

So that's today's ambition: use my core! I know it's around somewhere. I had it a minute ago.

11 comments:

  1. I used to do a hundred sit-ups a day. And some weight training. And, and, and...
    My motivation has long since ebbed and flowed away. I hope that someone else found it and is using it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you can retrieve it for your own use! Reporting here: I did 15 minutes of the 20, quite a workout, using 5lb weights for the weight parts, and did some without weights, to keep the momentum up. Next time I'll see if I can go longer.

      Ended up propping the phone on my music stand to follow along, my laptop not cooperating. Looking for its core, updating, don't switch off, endlessly.

      Delete
  2. I'm exhausted reading your and Ms. Moon's post. :)
    I, inches away from an exercise bike, have not been an exercise person, except for once watching Jack LaLanne. I feel inspired by y'all today.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I've always liked walking, but until I was 60 had little interest in exercising, seemed so boring, and I don't like sports or keen sportspeople. But when I found my arms were tiring quickly making big artworks, faster than my collaborator, so that's when I got weights and got serious!

      Delete
  3. Lol. I lost mine several years back. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate exercising - might as well shoot me first. Walking is about all we do and even that is limited these days. Hate 'wasting' perfectly good gloves (ie poop bags) in order to get up and down the stairs to get outside to walk. We do a trudge when we're out for something else though, so there's that at least. Used to do yoga but gave it up when the instructor refused to acknowledge that my wrists wouldn't support my weight and insisted that I follow along with the poses that I knew full well I couldn't do without hurting myself. I did, too many times, and gave it up. So much for what was touted as being 'gentle' yoga!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. I forgot! I do 20 touch-my-toes in the am and 50 in the pm so I guess I DO get some exercise! Plus I do stretches in bed before I get up in the morning. I've done them for so many years now that they just blend into my routine and I don't think of them as being exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best way, when it's just part of a normal day, not a big deal you have to get geared up for. My walking is like that. Not today though, torrential rain, thunderstorms.

      Delete
  6. Some days I'm good - yoga, core building exercises. Some days, not so much (hey! I walked from the living room to the kitchen - that counts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an old friend of mine says, anything is better than nothing! Her exercise consists of going on tiptoe to reach higher shelves -- she's short.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!