Thursday, April 16, 2020

Early morning with pancakes

My son texts me daily before leaving for work, so the loud alert on my phone acts like an alarm. Timing depends on his shift. Today text landed at 6 am, and I'd had enough sleep, so breakfast was early.

And here it is


Lovely thin pancakes, plate drizzled with molasses ahead of time. Pot of tea. Perfect.

The batter happened yesterday. I had one aging banana, no other fruit, no handy baked item, so I was wringing my hands, dessert, dessert, my kingdom for dessert..and bethought me of yon fritters,  I an idea I haven't got around to for years.

Banana fritters. With molasses. No picture because my food stylist just couldn't make them look appetizing like in the magazines.

But they were very good.

And, two exciting events today: Handsome Son coming over with groceries including fruit, this afternoon. A masked, gloved, hatted, coated man will leave bags on the step, and we might exchange a couple of sentences. I expect it'll be Handsome Son, but everyone looks about the same in safety garb.

Then later there's a live online lecture on Asian art by a Princeton art museum curator.

I don't know if I can handle it all.

10 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear the art lecture. Good idea to browse YouTube today for art lectures. Thank you for the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find the Princeton University Art museum website you can probably get the link. There's a lot available, yes. Let us know if you find good ones.

      Delete
  2. I made banana bread yesterday. I haven't even tried it but my husband said it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good review to me. Get a slice before it's gone!

      Delete
  3. The most exiting event of the week is putting the garbage out. Interesting times as the Chinese philosopher said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many stories and essays will eventually emerge on the topic of putting out the garbage. It could be a new literary wave.

      Delete
  4. How nice to have a caring son to help you with shopping and checking in every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good. He's been checking in by phone, then later by text, since his Dad died. Almost nine years.

      Delete
  5. Those pancakes do look good. And good also that a handsome man comes to your door bearing food - even though he IS unrecognizable. Thoughts are with him that he stays safe and well at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm thankful for each day he's well.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!