Thursday, April 9, 2020

Pink moons and spice bushes

Amazingly the clouds cleared up later, on the night of the pink super moon and she showed up. Beautiful, golden, not pink. I found that the pink doesn't refer to the moon, but to the wild pinks, flowers, blooming around now.

If you saw it through a haze, though, you might have got the pink effect, who am I to spoil your moon!

And my spice bush, viburnum carlesii, is in full bloom, powerful scent like vanilla but sweeter and deeper.



Here it's pushing through the cherry bushes, those leaves on the right.

 It's taken years to get established. The first few springs it put up leaves which were immediately blighted. But finally last year it started blooming and this year it's really living up to its billing.

It's heavenly just standing near and getting that great scent. It drifts on the wind right over the neighborhood,  so I'm doing community service by growing it.

There are a lot of ways to serve a community. I like to garden to give neighbors something good to see and smell. And I give away a lot of herbs to local good cooks. I've moved my herbs out front to make it easier for them to pick.

 A lot of divisions of daylilies have gone to people who planted them in Trenton to beautify the city corners. Quite a few of them now grow all over my own neighborhood, too,along with irises.

It's good to exchange irises and daylilies with other gardeners, too. Such a treat to grow and give plants and views.

 With a very limited working area,  it's no use my studying the White Flower Farm catalog for actual planting purposes! It's eye candy though. But I'm pretty much full up.

5 comments:

  1. The viburnum looks so pretty. A herb garden on the front is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhh - I love viburnum. I'll have to look for it whenever I'm allowed to shop again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Wish computers came with smell-o-vision. When we moved into our last house the gardens were absolutely dismal so we put the word out to all our friends to think kindly of us when they were dividing plants. We often would arrive home to discover bags of plants on our doorstep, most of them unidentified. We planted them all and kept having to enlarge the planting space to accommodate the offerings. Ended up with a garden that was on the local tour one year. Now the gardening involves a few tomato plants and maybe some herbs on our balcony. Never any room for flowers unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to grow quite a bit On a balcony: roses, gypsophila, coleus, herbs, impatiens, all sorts. Watering was a pest, though, because of not wanting to water my downstairs neighbor.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!