Monday, April 27, 2020

Accidental cooking

Just got a reminder from my cookbook book club about this month's chef, Marcus Samuelsson. Checked it out on Hoopla, though ebooks aren't my preferred form for cookbooks, but no choice right now.

He's a Swedish Ethiopian, great imaginative chef, came to Harlem  and owns The Red Rooster restaurant. The book of the same name is a social history of Harlem, the waves of cultures that have enriched it, and the food and drink that resulted.  Worth reading even if you don't cook from it.

However the first thing I noticed was a spice mix, berbere, new to me. So I had to try it. After going to YouTube to learn how to say it. Three syllables.





 It involved all three of my spice cabinets and quite a few of the contents. I had to sub one or two things, oddly enough, common items like paprika and dried onion flakes. But I think I got close enough for starters. It requires fenugreek, and you did know that fenugreek seeds are methi? Same thing. My Asian store sells it as methi seeds. Good to know.



It involved several stages, toasting the first group of spices






Grinding them in my ancient coffee grinder

Mixing them with the second group




And finally trying the mix.




 Sliced sweet potatoes for roasting seemed like a good test. I'll let you know... off to cook now.  At every stage the smells of the spices are amazing.

16 comments:

  1. I’ve cleaned up my spices a bit these last few weeks. Love trying new combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had the sweet potatoes, with an omelette. The berbere is spicy but not too hot. Definitely worth doing.

      Delete
  2. If that a Krups? I have one similar to that. Works so well. I like learning the different names for the same spice and herbs. Happy Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a forty year old Proctor Silex cost me $10! Doesn't owe me anything. A bit cracked and chipped, aren't we all..

      Delete
  3. I think I would love both the cookbook and the spices. Again- you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The history side of the book is very good. The spices and condiments are fine. There's a heavy emphasis on meat, which I don't use, but he does do fish and chicken.

      Delete
  4. You have such good ideas!
    During the stay home days, flavors are the element of foods that I notice determines how often hunger appears. The more interesting the flavors, the less I feel hungry later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also find that I need smaller portions of interesting food to feel satisfied. I noticed when I baked my own bread, one slice was as filling as a couple slices of store bought.

      Delete
  5. Now I think I would like to get or at least take a look at this cookbook. I'm familiar with Samuelson, he caught my eye because of his Swedish background. And I love exotic food and would like to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's written several. I could only get Red Rooster, but other members said his Off Duty book, about what he cooks at home, is better for home cooks. He's a very interesting man.

      Delete
  6. The spice mix sounds amazing. How were the potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked the wrong time to read your blog, Liz. 330AM (up to let Piper out) now wide awake AND hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's the time, too early to be up, too late to cook. Maybe tomorrow make a batch of emergency crackers..

      Delete
  8. I can just imagine the scents that were wafting around in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!