Tuesday, April 14, 2020

What a difference a day makes

Here's the house across the street, now being repaired.



 By day's end it will be good as new. Full on effort by skilled crew. Yes, of course they're Latinos. Cheerful, working, showed up early this morning. Immigrants get the job done.  They'll leave it clean as a whistle.

Then, walking after the storm, I notice no mud; this area drains very well, prime arable land before it was built on, second only to the Shenandoah Valley in yield per acre.

 That kind of building on irreplaceable farmland was hammered by the TDR legislation, a few years ago, despite the screams of rage of out-of-state developers, who fancied even more land grabbing than they'd already done.

 The farm I buy from legally agreed to farm in perpetuity.  Yes, they did get a very nice package in the settlement with the State. But selling to a developer would have brought much more. And the same family has farmed that land for over a hundred years. You can see several generations out working there in season.

Back to my walk, and a sweet honey scent a block away, gradually getting stronger in the breeze, brought me here.




 Bees going mad. They'll bring pollen back to the farm where I shop, and the farm honey will happen. They also mob my herbs, taking lavender, thyme and sage pollen back to the hives.

Playing Elizabethan songs on recorder this morning. Duets by Morley, for tenor and soprano. So I played the parts turn by turn. He's friendly to play. Hard for me to sing, though.

That's because though the tenor voice and soprano voice seem to be in the  same range, the register breaks are not.

 The break is where your voice moves from one range, to another, higher, range. My register break is on the d above c5.

If you have a  keyboard, find middle C. Now go up one octave. Now one more note. That's where my break comes.  That's always  a difficult note to lean on, because your break is where your vocal cords  want to shift about. And that's often the note that's very significant in Morley, basically written for male voice.

For the tenor voice, the break is a bit lower, so my break is, for a tenor, a comfortable note to lean on. Purcell, too, is really difficult for me, but works a treat for a (male) countertenor. That's that very high tenor voice. But looking at the score you'd think it would be in the female soprano range. Anyway, technicalities only interesting to a singer.

Then there's stitching, which is when I like to hear books. Listening to two main audiobooks now,  while I work and rest.

For working, it's Jeremy Irons' brilliant reading of Brideshead Revisited, an elegiac rendering, he simply gets Waugh. But it's emotionally heavy. It's written in the first person. So it's intense.

 So when I'm winding down in the evening, it's a switch to Frederica, one of the funniest of Georgette Heyers. Another great actor, Clifford Norgate, reading, great range of voices for the different characters. Both of them are on YouTube. Look up Ian Yates channel.

Between them they're a great antidote to the bad news all around. My little town now has hundreds of confirmed cases. All I can do is stay put.

 Pleasing myself, making art and music, walking, writing, cooking, taking what care I can of my friends, doesn't seem too onerous a civic duty.

 It does seem a bit removed from the daily drama enacted a mile away, in our large regional hospital.  But I guess this is the hand I've been dealt this time.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That seems impossible! But there it is- all fixed up.
    What a beautiful post. I did almost nothing today and yet, a nap was required.
    Ah well. Each day is different, even in the sameness.
    I love the idea of generations of one family farming the same land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad to buy food at the local farm. Total mileage farm to plate: 4 miles round-trip. And it's supporting a hard-working local family. Also the food's great. Tine elapsed from field to fork, typically hours, not more. When corn's in season, an hour from field to plate. They pick repeatedly all day.

      Delete
  2. Farming today is such a tough way of life. I admire those who work 365 days year after year for the benefit of all.

    I hope you can continue your walks in the neighbourhood. Walking keeps us sane here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, walking is a great restorative. I've always done it. During the caregiving years it saved me from getting a bad back. I like to walk without any music or reading going, just what I can see and smell and hear all around me.

      Delete
  3. It does the heart good to know land is in the same family, and still farmland. Music. I have no idea what breaks are. Searched YouTube for Elizabethan songs. Ends up I'm listening to Chopin Nocturnes, Wonders of Classical Music. I'm ready for Metallic now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Register breaks are unknown to a lot of musicians too, unless they're singers. But the voice is an instrument, and you need to adjust it like any instrument. Like bowing, fingering, stopping, all that.

      Delete
  4. The family farm is almost becoming a rarity these days - lucky for you to have such a place nearby and the availability of fresh vegs throughout the summer. Afraid I'm no musician so the explanation of breaks is over my head. I used to be able to pick out a hymn on the piano with one finger but that was the absolute extent of any musical training I ever had. That, and the school singing competitions in public school where the music teacher asked me if I could please 'sing silently'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, about farms. Oddly enough, around here all the farms are family owned. Too small to be of interest to big ag, just of interest to developers. Mostly crops, no animals since the local dairy farm was sold and built on.

      I like being able to drive a short way for fresh food from April asparagus to November pumpkins.

      Delete
    2. Just yesterday I discovered that there's a local website that is collecting data on farmers that are willing to offer their crops to the public so that's a good thing. I suspect there might be a huge swing towards buying direct from the farm over the next while, which will be good for the farmers.

      Delete
    3. Good for the buyer's health too. I wonder about the complications of farmers' being contracted to distributors. I'm glad I don't have to navigate it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!