Monday, April 6, 2020

Just walking

I've moved my daily walk to late morning, and find I do,  after all, have  the energy then. I've always walked in the afternoon when I'd gathered my strength. Never had much morning getupngo before.

And today was beautiful, birds shouting all over, violets and shepherd's purse underfoot



trees greening up



The air's cleaner, little air traffic, no noisy late afternoon helicopters carrying mail from corporate offices to New York, faster than the post office or FedEx.

Wildlife are bolder than usual, because few people about, little traffic. I wonder if we'll see any young black bears soon.

It's getting near the time the young males go in search of their own territory. They don't look like babies, even though they are. Hulking fellers. And the absence of people and cars might encourage them nearer houses.

 Every year at least one or two manage to cross the heavy traffic of six-lane Route One, following the old Assunpink creek water course which runs under the road, though most people are unaware of it until it floods. So with much reduced traffic, more bears might make it.

Nowadays people know to just stay clear, don't panic, don't eat lunch outdoors!  The bear won't want you, he'll want your sandwich.



18 comments:

  1. Amazing how our world is quickly recovering with much less pollution around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This virus has put the brakes on for humans, released them for plants and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bears would keep me inside. I’ve never lived where there were any!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rare occasions when I've seen them, it's just a view of a fuzzy rear end as they bumble away.

      Delete
  4. We have bears here too but I never see them. Maybe this year?
    I'm now thinking of Yogi and Boo-Boo. They just want your picnic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only times locally I've heard of possible danger is when you accidentally get between a mother and her cub. She won't take it in a friendly spirit.

      Delete
  5. We have quite a bear population here as well. They seem to go about their merry way most of the time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The black bear seems to be a live and let live kind of animal. Not really interested in humans, with an occasional raid on a bird feeder.

      Delete
  6. Nature is reclaiming the planet humans have brought to disaster...Yes, I have another book...or ten...How about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always into several, like you. I did find there was a Blanche I hadn't read, happily. Got it as an audiobook.

      Delete
  7. Look at the beautiful blue sky! Bears? On my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky has been cloudless, probably because of fewer contrails. It's lovely to see branches against it.

      Delete
  8. I'm a morning walker myself though primarily because spring and summer and fall afternoons are too hot for long walks. Wow - bears. The most I see is the occasional possum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering I live in the middle of a populous state, it's surprising to visitors how beautiful it is, and how it's teeming with animals and birds. Mostly people's notion of NJ is the oil cracking plant in Linden, which you see as you land at Newark, and which occupies a few acres!

      Delete
  9. Good to post about bears this time of year
    Walking in the yard is as far as I dare go. When the trees blossom here will be a nice walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My walk is around the development, in varying directions each day. About half an hour. Probably 1.5 miles. I can walk under trees, on grass, and in sidewalk, which is a good workout for a person's feet and ankles, adapting constantly. Around here no slopes, though.

      Delete
  10. I read something recently to the effect that this entire shutdown of the world could be in God's master plan - a way of letting the earth have an opportunity to breathe. Interesting to know that wildlife are venturing further than usual - case in point, there was a moose wandering around in a town not too far from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The earth is definitely making good use of this respite. It's a good side to this time.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!