Tuesday, April 21, 2020

New discovery, tonnato sauce

Yes, not a typo. Tonnato.  I came across it in my morning email feed today, and instantly realized this is exactly what the universe was designed to give me this morning.

I'd never heard of it, probably because it's usually served on top of veal, which I will not be a part of. It's one of the cruel foods, unnecessary agony inflicted on animals to make a luxury food. Don't get me started on pate de foie gras or lobster either.

Anyway, back to this sauce: I was wondering how to use my can of tuna (yes, I know about the boats, but I can only do so much).  And this recipe hove into view. Mayonnaise, garlic, capers, anchovy paste, lemon juice, cayenne, olive oil, tuna.



All the ingredients present in the house, more important than ever when venturing out is hazardous for me, and I want to impose as little as possible on the safety of Handsome Son and friends.

So here's what I plan to dress the last of the roasted sweet potatoes with.




 You had to be here to get the wonderful smell. Like the south of France, vivid memories of salade nicoise eaten in Nice.



 And the rinse water is now in the freezer for future soup use.

I think it's a savory sauce for all seasons.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The flavors have begun to develop now and it's really good. I think it's a possible pasta sauce, too.

      Delete
  2. That sounds just delicious. And you had all that stuff in your house. I agree about veal, can't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing I had the whole array in the house. It was a sign!

      Delete
  3. It sounds delicious but if I made it for my lot I'd have to do it in secret. Not fans of capers and anchovies even though they are in lots of sauces etc. and they don't realized it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I gave my neighbor zucchini bread (subbed for banana) and he was chomping away really enjoying it, asked me the name. When I said what it was, he stopped eating! Didn't want to eat a vegetable. Silly me.

      Delete
  4. I'm guessing you could amp up the capers. It's a lovely flavor, and the combo could stand changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good - but I'm a little iffy on the anchovies part of it. I have never eaten veal and I never will if I have anything to say about it. I was once forced to eat lamb but I only had a couple of bites. I like meat but not well enough to eat babies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a meat fan anyway, so it's not hard for me to avoid it. I used the tonnato sauce again today, navy beans, rinsed, heated, drained, dressed with the sauce. Very simple, tres chic.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!