Friday, April 3, 2020

Masks, you say? The Dollivers are on it.

To be exact they're on to finding fashionable masks for themselves,then  telling me how to wash the stuff I need in  order to make a couple for myself.



Here are (l)  Bette Davis, drama queen really getting into the first responder part, and (r) NameMe, dragooned by the other Ds who all got a headache listening to Bette rehearsing. They think she's not taking it seriously enough. NameMe is used to wrangling the Dolliver Kennels, so the others figured she could handle Bette.




They're just checking the cotton and silk and some interfacing into the laundry. I heard that it's good to include nonwoven material, such as interfacing, because it's less permeable than cotton. I've tried breathing through these fabrics and it seems possible.


I did a search to find materials, including those bendy things we used to call pipe cleaners and I don't know what they are now, elastic, ribbons and tape, and found most of the makings in the bag of dollmaking gear. No further shopping required.

Art has its side benefits. I made my own hand sanitizer from materials I had in the studio for other purposes, all of which had gone from the shops.

Not that I'm going anywhere, in a mask, but just in case there's an urgent dash for olive oil or some such basic requirement.

Considering I have neighbors anxious to shop for me, I'm not under pressure to get out. Postponed the shingles second shot, figuring this is no time to be under the weather, and I've got till July.  Postponed my auto formalities, extra two months added by motor vehicle agency anyway.

So I get to stay home, message my friends and keep out of the way of people doing the work for us all.

And hope we all stay well and find a little something to enjoy every day.  I'm doing my bit there.

17 comments:

  1. Wish I didn’t have to go for groceries next week. It’s changed at the supermarkets here since I was there a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things have changed. Faster than we have!

      Delete
  2. Hoping to make a few masks myself this weekend. I've got a bit of elastic and I'm wondering what else I might use if that isn't enough. Rubber bands? Maybe just ribbon? I look forward to seeing yours, Liz. Hubs is after me to get my second shingles shot. I feel sort of like you. I'm also not sure I want to expose myself to anything. The first shingles shot I came down with a cold two days later - I've blamed the pharmacist who gave me the shot. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One website I saw used tapes made from strips of t-shirt material, stretchy like elastic, made into ties rather than loops. I don't want loops competing with my glasses on my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know why I'm putting off making masks. My last bit of denial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely you realize it's just an activity that makes people feel better! I'm only making them so if I go out, other people are reassured. And it will stop me from touching my face. As for blocking a tiny virus, not so much.

      Delete
  5. The Dollivers look busy.
    I'm as far as cutting fabric, and finding the notions I need to make masks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notions! That's the word I couldn't think of, and ended up saying materials. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the masks. Probably better than nothing. I saw where HEPA vacuum cleaner bags were considered high protection and 4 masks could be made from one bag.

    Oh! those dollivers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hitch is that HEPA vacuum bags are manufactured using fiberglass. That can be deadly dangerous to your lungs. Could cause permanent damage. The people suggesting it admit they know nothing about the effect on the wearer, only that the material does block very small microbes.

      I'd proceed with great caution on this. There's such a lot that nobody knows at this point. But we do know that vacuum bags are not designed for breathing use.

      I'm off to iron my cotton and interfacing now. Some for masks, mostly for piecing diamonds!



      Delete
    2. thanks for the words of caution. I wasn't planning on making any masks. Haven't been beyond my lot for over 3 weeks and if a do I'm planning on wrapping a scarf around my face more to protect others really, just in case.

      Delete
    3. That's about my own procedure. I hope you keep well.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that the Dollivers are practicing good social distancing and wearing masks. I suppose the next thing they will demand will be gloves...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They used to have white lace gloves. They lost them in various shoots. So I said that's it. If you dolls don't take care of your gloves there won't be any more, Missies!

      Delete
  8. I have some of the metal nose-piece thingies - I ordered a bunch from Amazon. They're like the metal prongs in a file folder and can either be sewn into the fabric or stuck on. Let me know... I can easily pop them into the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice offer. I have plenty of wired things in my art supplies used for doll and toy armatures, so I'm good, thank you.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!