Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Not bread and roses but close

Walk today, finding blossoms everywhere. And a shouted chat with a neighbor I haven't seen in ages.






Then home, not in the mood to bake regular bread, also low in flour, so I made yet another version of cornbread. This one, judging from the scrap of printed recipe on cardboard in my binder, must have come from a box of cornmeal. One of those bland test kitchen recipes.

This one wanted skim milk, but I have whole, so I used that, and vegetable oil, so I thought okay, we'll see, and egg whites.

Now it just happened that I had egg whites frozen from back when I made lemon curd using yolks, so I broke the block of four, used half, put the rest back.




Verdict: pale in color, because of no egg yolk nor butter, firm texture, a bit bready. Okay but not a winner. Slice with butter ready to spread. It needs butter.

Interrupted by a neighbor wanting to march into the house to visit with her dog, force of habit, until I said sorry, no one comes in right now.  So we had another shouted conversation, with her talking through a slightly open storm door and me well back in the living room. Her husband's working from home, and I think she needed a break from him.

It's heavy being alone at this time, but I don't have to cope with anyone unless I make contact, so there's that! I notice in the two conversations I had today, my voice is rusty with disuse. I'll do a bit of singing during my music time today.

13 comments:

  1. You have some beautiful places to walk nearby from these photos. I hope you enjoy your singing later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these scenes are just a couple of hundred yards from my door.

      Delete
  2. You have some beautiful walking spots where you live, Happy singing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how we're all being very, very frugal with our supplies. That cornbread looks like edible. Pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how I've always been. Wartime rationing in childhood set it off for a lot of people my age, I think. But if people are now learning it as a new habit, that sounds good. Perhaps it will cut down on food waste. So some good things may come out of this time.

      Delete
  4. It appears that everyone is baking these days. The baking supplies are in short supply or all out in the stores. Lots of bread making going on! Not here though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking is usual around here. I haven't bought bread or cake or cookies for maybe decades. But suddenly everyone's on it! I'm not used to competition in the baking needs aisle.

      Delete
  5. Pretty walk. Same here - no one but me at home. I worry I'll forget how to talk to adult humans (talking to two cats currently!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have pets now, and I don't like the phone. I do talk to myself a bit, but it's not about projecting as conversation is. I'll do some vocalises this afternoon.

      Delete
  6. Being frugal with supplies might be WW2 rationing but I suspect its genetic. No whole wheat flour available at local store so having to fall back on AP flour for my one loaf a week. Store out of yeast as well but I still have a small supply. Looks like unlevened bread on the horizon. Perhaps appropriate for the season.
    Keeping my voice up talking to Meeka and gargling with salt water.
    Such exiting times eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about the DNA! New readers: dogonart is my sister.

      Gargling, hm, hadn't thought of that. I should make a note.

      You can make great crackers when the yeast runs out. They're fun to make, too.

      Delete
  7. So nice to see the flowers - proof that life does go on, despite what's happening in the world around us. Funny about your neighbour thinking she could march right in - some people just don't get it do they. Glad you were able to head her off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, when you've done something for thirty years, Andy also being a close friend, it's hard to remember I'm not family and not in your quarantine group. She's the only person I've had to deter.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!