Saturday, April 4, 2020

Frozen dessert reward

  • I have no idea why bullet points and text centering suddenly started. Bear with me, I'm already doing one finger typing because my thumbs don't work that way. Ignore the dots!

  • An exciting episode with the clothes dryer wherein it didn't heat. It pretended to, went the full cycle, clothes wet and cold at the end.

  •  So I tried again, and this time it worked. But I'm afraid it's mene, mene, aka writing on the wall, for the dryer. Not a time for getting it fixed.  Or replaced, if it comes to that. I may come to figuring out alternatives.

  •  Maybe I'll end up doing an Abigail Adams, who dried the laundry in a fancy White House ballroom. Except mine will be the loft, former studio.

Then I realized that since I furloughed my cleaning family, the floors weren't going to vac themselves. So I did upstairs. Amazing how much fluff one person can generate.
Then I was wandering about the kitchen, soup finished, mejadra finished, what to eat.  Then I remembered the remaining turkey meatballs in the freezer. Macaroni with. Blurt of tomato paste on meatballs. Done. And very good, too. Enough for tomorrow.

So after all this chop wood, carry water, activity, I thought I'd try a treat food, recipe I saw yesterday, local cooking librarian put it on Twitter. 

I happened to have everything in house. Frozen mashed bananas, because I hate mashing bananas but do three bananas and freeze them when I'm in the mood, so when I come to make banana bread, one task is done. Where was I?  Oh, ingredients: bunch of frozen cherries and berries ( I expect any fruit would work), vanilla essence, frozen coconut milk leftover from a chicken curry. I added in a drop of water to help with blending. I doubt if the actual quantities are vital. 

The library lady had a big fancy food processor, and sort of pulled a face when she said you COULD use a blender. Sounded a bit oh you poor thing, but nevermind.

So I shoved all this into my blender, so there, and she did have a point, because the motor labored and an ominous burning smell started.

 That's when I added a drop of water, which fixed the situation. I think there's a bit of mene, mene, writing on the wall for my blender, too.

However I ended up with a really good frozen type dessert. Very nice texture, probably because of the bananas. Sweet enough with no added sweetener.




And, since I always use the last bit of what's in the blender by blending a cup of water in it, which also helps clean it, I got a nice glass of fruit something. I don't drink spirits, but I bet if you do you could build a nice spot of cheer with this drink.



A few minutes after the previous picture.  Good review, thank you library lady.

I'm definitely doing this in summer.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you. I didn't know why the banana. It makes sense to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You meal sounds great and the dessert looks so good. I have made ice cream with frozen banana and it is delicious. It is easy to change the taste with different fruit. Clever to wash out the blender that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always clean the last of the food from the blender like that before actually washing it. When I make pesto the liquid goes into soup very nicely.

      And the little bit of leftover cooked macaroni likewise, in the freezer for future soup. Along with some leftover rice from the mejadra.

      Delete
  3. I have three bananas that are way past ripe. I need to do SOMETHING with them. I don't have the energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mash And freeze till you're up to using them?

      Delete
  4. I do the same with the blender "leftovers" - liquid for a beverage or soup, or added to Piper's grub, or the hens' crumbles. And THEN I put water and one drop of dish soap in the blender and give it a spin and it's nearly clean before it even hits the sink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly we are kindred spirits in the kitchen.

      Delete
  5. mmmm - that looks yummy! Resident Chef is making noises about making smoothies out of some frozen fruit and some 'dead' bananas that keep getting tossed in the freezer. When I last grocery shopped I couldn't get anything BUT dead bananas so I picked them up anyway thinking ahead to needing something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of smoothies, but this dessert is definitely going into my repertoire instead of ice cream. I'm going to try different fruit combos. I think the bananas are a constant though.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!