Saturday, April 11, 2020

Happy Easter, happy spring, looking forward to better times Dolliver style

As usual it falls to us Dollivers to take care of everything around here. So we organized a seasonal display, brought out the animals we could trust not to wreck the joint, the Dolliver Dogs playing outside.







And here we are. Complete with kitten, cats,  our flock of parakeets, various eggs including ones Boud blows and decorates each year, not this year though, and porcelain ones and the little cockatiel eggs (from long-departed Emily Hope) in the teacup, the Easter Bunny, and whoever else we could conscript.

We are wearing old dresses. Old. Wearing out, they are. But we aren't complaining. Wouldn't be in the siege spirit. We're just saying it's time for new outfits.

 Where were we? Oh, right, happy Easter if you celebrate it, happy new beginnings if you don't, in fact that's a good hope for all of us right now.

Boud thanks us for stepping up, which we did with all the grace we're known for. She suggested that line, but we're not sure about the spirit in which she said it..

Ed. Note:

Speaking of grace, my son was very touched by a message from a friend of mine today, thanking him for faithfully working at the supermarket all through this siege, masked, gloved, worried and still working.

  Despite mobs of customers, many not understanding distancing, the ever present concern about infection, colleagues going down with covid-19.

 It used to be a peaceful job, suddenly an only modestly paid front-line position. Please thank your grocery workers. We often don't notice them much, and only now realize how vital their work is. Heroes also work to feed us.

It feels feeble to be staying home out of the way, but,  for some of us it's the most valuable thing we can do. My little family represents both ends of the spectrum right now.

But this too shall pass. Life isn't interrupted. This is all part of it. Shakuhachi.



11 comments:

  1. Shakuhachi is one of my two words of the year. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as I perused the archives this winter. It so fits our current circumstances. The other is Fomite, as in "Rowan, our little fomite". Our lovebug of a border collie is quite well-behaved on leash, but when hiking in the hills, off-leash, cannot resist running up to other hikers and leaning against them gazing up adoringly - and they can't resist petting her.

    Your Handsome Son and his compatriots are indeed heroes. This pandemic is teaching us about who and what is truly essential.

    Happy new beginnings to you and the Dollivers, one and all!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your words. Border collies! I've known a couple, laws unto themselves. And happy new beginnings to you, too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the sweet whimsy of your beautiful dollies and birds and cats and eggs. Such cheer.
    And I know how you feel about your son. It's so frightening, isn't it? We have to believe our children will be safe.
    Be well, sweet Boud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I'm hanging on to that hope. I saw him briefly Friday, through a storm door, hatted, overcoated, gloved, masked, delivering groceries to my step. At least I assume it was he, from what I could see of him!

      Delete
  3. I whole-heartedly agree. Essential workers must be paid more all the time. Thanks to your son and all the essential workers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pass on all appreciations. He's going to be heartened by them. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I passed on your appreciative comments and he texted me on his break -- yes, he's working today -- to thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When shopping (which I do very sparingly right now) I give a very sincere thank you to the workers I encounter. And recently, when an Amazon delivery person dropped off a package I told him to "stay safe". He replied with a thoughtful thank you - like he really appreciated an extra word. It was so little on my part. It takes so little! This is changing us in good ways, I think - if we see people as vulnerable and at the same time brave, expressing sincere appreciation not just as a nicety, but a sincere appreciation that they are showing up - at a scary time - providing real service for everyone. Pass along my appreciation to your son, too, please, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. It's helping to keep him going. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. It's not at all feeble to be staying home and out of harm's way - I think it's quite brave actually. God bless the people working in the grocery stores like your son - what would we do without them? So glad the D's are entering into the spirit of the current times and haven't been overly demanding of new Easter duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ds are biding their time. And I'll pass on your words to Handsome Son. He really appreciates being lifted up like this.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!